Google's own wireless carrier

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Screen-Shot-2013-01-24-at-14.02.48.jpg

Many of us hardcore android fans have been wanting to see a Google led wireless carrier. Well based on a story posted by The Verge, Google may launch a StraightTalk like wireless carrier feeding off of both Sprint and T-Mobile's towers. This could be Google trying to encourage a change in the current cost for wireless service. Do you see Google really being able to have an influence in the wireless industry (especially given they are struggling getting their high speed fiber optic services in select cities)?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Given the incredible level of cell signal I get from T-Mo and Sprint (read: none) I officially say...

...meh. But that's just me.

-Matt

Agree, unless Google knows something about wireless tech that none of the others know (which I doubt) it may be hard to convince customers who are on a reliable Verizon or AT&T network to switch. Especially now AT&T added rollover data. But then again maybe that is not their customer base. If you are looking to sell nexus phones that are $300 off contract (ala Nexus 5) the customer base they are going after are those who are looking for a more affordable wireless plan.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think that Google has the resources to launch a decent provider if they chose to..I'm not sure a piggy back type set up will do what I hope they want to do.. If that makes sense...

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Sign me up. ;)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Screen-Shot-2013-01-24-at-14.02.48.jpg

Many of us hardcore android fans have been wanting to see a Google led wireless carrier. Well based on a story posted by The Verge, Google may launch a StraightTalk like wireless carrier feeding off of both Sprint and T-Mobile's towers. This could be Google trying to encourage a change in the current cost for wireless service. Do you see Google really being able to have an influence in the wireless industry (especially given they are struggling getting their high speed fiber optic services in select cities)?
I think Google's intent is to become the world's number 1 high speed wireless provider.
They have partnered with Facebook to bring a new high speed underwater cable to Asia.
They have what seems to be a very successful high speed wireless satellite/balloon system that serves rural Australia.
Google wants to provide wireless service to everyone worldwide at a reasonable cost.
Here in Thailand, we have excellent service. My unlimited LTE service costs $25. a month.
Once their infrastructure is in place, coupled with their Nexus device offerings Google is in a good position to challenge VZW and ATT and drive down enduser costs.

boidsonly

Reaction score
Any new provider added to the 4opoly we have now is good news. ATT and VZW will do everything in their powers to kill this, both through buying legislaters/legislation and sabotage. I agree with the poster above-Google intends to become #1, and they have to fiscal power to do it.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
I like half of the idea. I was interested until I saw they were piggybacking.

gionmi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xperia Z3 Compact
they will give you more storage on google drive then here come subscription packages...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As others have touched on, if they're piggy-backing on those networks, they're of no use to me, but I hope that this is just a way for them to get a foot in the door before building up their own network.

At the same time, the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Google providing inexpensive network access isn't just a part of their grand scheme to know everything about everyone and sell that info to advertisers, or at least sell ads based on that data that they collect.

All our data are belong to Google.

However, as I've said in numerous other posts, I'm going to see ads throughout my day anyway. If Google knowing my interests means those ads will actually be for things that interest me, I don't see that as such a bad thing.

swc2001

Reaction score
I dunno I think we may be dismissing this too quickly! I mean think about it... isnt this basically a work around for Sprint trying to buy T-Mobile? Basically if they can make their phones use Both Networks with the Two different sim card Cell Tech.... They have basically combined both T Mobile and Sprint that gets around all of the FCC Red tape Monopoly bull Poop! Its the best of both worlds. AND... Those Google customers will effectively have the same bandwidth that the Gruesome Twosome Have THUS..... Becoming a Monster competitor.... And finally bringing VZW and AT&T to the table for making their services more affordable. I dunno Maybe!!!

Then again maybe its just wishful thinking.... but it seems like a possibility to me.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was going to say basically the same thing. Are others here saying that T-Mobile and Sprint combined can't give VZW or AT&T a run for OUR money???

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Perhaps though.. They can use this as a stepping stone.. Get a feel or general sense of what direction to go.. Then jump off.. Or buy out and build up...

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Meh, in New England, Sprint, T-Mobile, and any GSM carrier is just unreliable, unfortunately.

EDIT

Wait, t-mobile is GSM and sprint is CDMA; google would use two different cell antenna technologies? Guess we'll need more dual-antennae phones.