Google's own wireless carrier

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
EDIT

Wait, t-mobile is GSM and sprint is CDMA; google would use two different cell antenna technologies? Guess we'll need more dual-antennae phones.

It is already being done in Verizon and Sprint phones. Verizon's newer phones are world capable out of the box. Sprint now has an LTE network. LTE is a GSM technology.

Google asked the FCC for spectrum in the 2.5Ghz and 2.6Ghz ranges back in early 2013. I don't recall if they ever got it. However, Google would have the same issue that T-Mobile and Sprint currently face: No low frequency spectrum (700Mhz, 800Mhz and 900Mhz). Both AT&T and Verizon own spectrum in these bands allowing them to have better signal penetration in rural areas covered by hills, ridges and foliage.

At best, if Google did get the aforementioned spectrum, it would only be ideal in areas where subscribers have LOS or nLOS to the tower.

What Google is doing now with T-Mobile and Sprint is not much different (or is it?) than using a service like Straight Talk of NET10 Wireless.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wait, t-mobile is GSM and sprint is CDMA; google would use two different cell antenna technologies? Guess we'll need more dual-antennae phones.

With wireless technologies being embedded on chips nowadays, I see no reason why all wireless technologies couldn't just be included in a phone, thereby having one phone that just works on all the different carriers. Wouldn't this save OEM's money????

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
With wireless technologies being embedded on chips nowadays, I see no reason why all wireless technologies couldn't just be included in a phone, thereby having one phone that just works on all the different carriers. Wouldn't this save OEM's money????

Many times this is already done. Certain frequencies are disabled in the radio and not available on the phone.

For Verizon and Sprint phones, two radios are still required due to the CDMA 3G networks. I foresee this changing in the future as LTE networks are GSM networks. Sprint is doing this now. Many sites they upgrade include SDRs that can do GSM and CDMA.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Many times this is already done. Certain frequencies are disabled in the radio and not available on the phone.

For Verizon and Sprint phones, two radios are still required due to the CDMA 3G networks. I foresee this changing in the future as LTE networks are GSM networks. Sprint is doing this now. Many sites they upgrade include SDRs that can do GSM and CDMA.

But still, how big are the radios? Couldn't they just put them in the phone and just disable the radio that does not apply to the carrier? I believe LG did this with the Nexus 4 or 5. I remember something about the radio for Verizon being in the phone, but disabled because it was not going to Verizon.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Tmo works great where I am. If Google can bring that to the table at a lower price I am in. I stuck with AT&T for so long since it was just convenient. My recent switch to Tmo cut my bill by $1380 dollars a year and I got more out of the deal. If Google can whittle that down more I am all for it.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
But still, how big are the radios? Couldn't they just put them in the phone and just disable the radio that does not apply to the carrier? I believe LG did this with the Nexus 4 or 5. I remember something about the radio for Verizon being in the phone, but disabled because it was not going to Verizon.

This may be because the Nexus 5 is essentially an LG G2. The phone was more or less already made which would explain disabling the radio.

It really comes down to power consumption and cost. The radios may be small, but why put two in there if you don't have to? Also, devices with dual radios will consume more power as the radios are each searching for service.

JDH

Reaction score
When Google comes up with the cash to buy Verizon I will become a customer!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Google net worth is 395 billion.. Vzw is like 194 billion.. Google could buy vzw but i doubt they want to

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Would be a serious investment. Imagine the possibilities...

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk
It would definitely be the carrier to be with.. If Google would roll out a full upgrade like the European networks.. And make it a solid footprint like vzw has now.. It'd be expensive.. But perhaps with all their backing.. They could do so affordably ..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
People think Verizon is evil, wait until they switch to Google. How people think this is a good idea boggles the mind. We are already aware how controlling they are, though must folks try to ignore it. I'm a fan of Google but do we really want them as a carrier?
I'll pass.

S5 tap'n

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Google is trying to be skynet! I'll stick with big red.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
People think Verizon is evil, wait until they switch to Google. How people think this is a good idea boggles the mind. We are already aware how controlling they are, though must folks try to ignore it. I'm a fan of Google but do we really want them as a carrier?
I'll pass.

S5 tap'n

Google is trying to be skynet! I'll stick with big red.
Finally the appropriate place for this photo muhaha
456065bb4d85ef7c871ff82165262f3d.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'll pass.

S5 tap'n
Google is doing a great job providing internet service to rural areas worldwide. At their own expense as well. Give them a chance. There is no downside. We will always have choices.