[Rumor] Google and Dish Already Developing Wireless Service Plans for 2013

omar908

Reaction score
Omnipharious said:
Well, It is about TIME! I only hope that Motorola will sign some sort of contract with Google and get away from Verizon and their locked bootloader and Bloatware garbage! I prefer Motorola devices which are pretty much exclusively contracted to VZW:frown: But, I'll switch to Nexus just to get away from VZW locking down my devices prior to their release!dancedroid

I would think they will have motorola phones with the google carrier because didnt google buy mobile motorola? (Correct me if i have some errors their plz :p)

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Wheres the 5 year cotract i need to sign ...im all about a google wireless site

geoff5093

Reaction score
Someone needs to explain this a little more clearly to me. VOIP? Why should I get excited about that, we have had voip for many years, it only works where you have internet access already. We need a real competitor to Verizon and AT&T, someone willing to build out a network all across the country, to provide phone service everywhere, not just in an internet cafe.
Everyone is going this route, it's called VoLTE. Voice and SMS data will be sent over the data network instead of the voice network, currently LTE is only for data while your phone still uses 1x CDMA for voice and SMS, once the changeover is done they can shut that network down. If done properly I'm sure we wouldn't notice much of a difference, it's not like you're going to be using Skype instead of your phone dialer.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...once the changeover is done they can shut that network down. If done properly I'm sure we wouldn't notice much of a difference, it's not like you're going to be using Skype instead of your phone dialer.

You'll notice it when you run out of your 2Gigs of monthly data and they bend you over the counter for making phone calls. :blink: This is why they ditched the unlimited data plans. It will eventually get back to unlimited data but not until people are fed up enough with overage charges that they go elsewhere.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
So far pretty happy with Dish.....so if this goes through i'm kicking vzw to the curb.

I'm not saying it was aliens...but it was aliens.

geoff5093

Reaction score
You'll notice it when you run out of your 2Gigs of monthly data and they bend you over the counter for making phone calls. :blink: This is why they ditched the unlimited data plans. It will eventually get back to unlimited data but not until people are fed up enough with overage charges that they go elsewhere.
It's possible they would still sell plans with minutes and texts like they do now, and not have voice/sms count against your data cap.

welsalex

Reaction score
egypu7an.jpg

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's possible they would still sell plans with minutes and texts like they do now, and not have voice/sms count against your data cap.

I agree; it is possible. Does this possibility, however, sound like something consistent with Verizon's business plans of late?

branson-approval.gif

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they could distinguish between data for voice and data for VoLTE. Theoretically, yes, but why make the iinvestment to do it?

Also, you'd have to look at how much data it actually uses. My plan (which I'm sure many have) is 450 minutes a month. VZW to VZW is free, so I probably hit something like 700 minutes or so. Let's just call it 12 hours. One of the more inefficient codecs would use about 1 meg a minute. So we are talking 700megs a month or so for your current voice plan.

That's a nice chunk, especially on 2gigs, but remember the average user is somewhere less than 1gig. Even then, VZW could simply bump everyone 1gig and that pretty much covers what you were using on the calling plans. Resulting overages from calls would have, in the past, resulted in overages on minutes. But obviously it's a different story for people on an unlimited voice plan using 2500 minutes a month or something.

More than likely, they'll roll out new tiers and an allowance for VoIP is something you'll have to factor in.

For all the whining about how VZW keep sticking the existing customer, the only actual real price increase we've seen is eliminating the phone subsidy if you want to keep your existing plan.