[Rumor] Google May be Planning to Become a Wireless Carrier; at least in EU

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google-wireless-carrier-rumor-1.jpg

Update: It's a good thing we called this story a rumor, because as it turns out, it's actually a hoax. Unfortunately, this was a hoax perpetrated on Engadget Spain, and is completely fake.

There is some industry speculation that Google may be planning to take on the role of wireless carrier in parts of Europe soon. In fact, they may have already started testing a Mobile Virtual Network (MVN) in Spain. The images posted are of what appears to be a Google-branded SIM card and a Nexus S running on a network dubbed “Google_es”. According to the report, a few trusted engineers have started receiving this starter pack for testing purposes already. Here's a quote with a few more details,
Now, MVN operators (MVNOs) usually roam on other carriers networks without actually owning any of the spectrum. They just resell wireless service under their own brands with numerous examples of such carriers in the States including Boost Mobile which for example rides on Sprint radiowaves. The engineers who got the starter packs will reportedly test three Spanish networks - Movistar, Orange and Vodafone - to determine which one to use.
If this turns out to be true, it could be an interesting move for Google. In fact, if you use your imagination, you can see a wide range of possibilities that could be fairly "disruptive" to current wireless markets. For example, if Google creates a smartphone with deeply integrated VoIP, like Google Voice, as the primary call system for the phone, then they could compete aggressive with dramatically discounted prices. It makes you wonder how Google might bring this idea to the States...

Google-wireless-carrier-rumor-2.jpg
Google-wireless-carrier-rumor-3.jpg

Source: Android.net via PhoneArena

Last edited:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
...According to the report, a few trusted engineers have started receiving this starter pack for testing purposes already....

Hmmm... looks like one of them wasn't so trustworthy if we are seeing these pictures... but I'm not complaining!

Castro

Reaction score
Such fake pictures!! lol Look at the shadowing on the picture on the right!

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Such fake pictures!! lol Look at the shadowing on the picture on the right!

:confused: I don't see anything that wouldn't be created by multiple light sources and a weak flash being one of them...

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be too surprised. Stuff like this almost always rolls out in Europe before it hits the States. If it flops for some reason, we'll never see it here.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
A US based company starting their wireless service in Europe? That doesn't sound right to me.. But yeah, I'll do this anyday. I'm sure Google will charge extremely low prices since everyone and there mother will be signing up. Not to mention all their other revue.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Seriously...google is taking over the world. what's next? Google cars? United states of google? Whatever, I'm in either way : P

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

creaky

Reaction score
Actually, from want I've read Google is testing cars that drive themselves.

[witty pun concerning the current ROM and custom memory script on my device]

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I don't know that being a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) is a sustainable business model, even for Google. Look at what happened with Amp'd, Helio, Embarq, etc. They all went belly up. I can't see any of the wireless carriers here in the states being comfortable with allowing Google to lease their wireless spectrum and charge cheaper rates for a similar service. I'm not saying that it can't or won't happen, but it doesn't seem likely.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seriously...google is taking over the world. what's next? Google cars? United states of google? Whatever, I'm in either way : P

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
well we already go to google with all our lifes questions...

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
United Sates of Google would be a good thing.... You see the price of a Google stock!!??? They'd run the Country better than Osama err. Obama is and my 401K might not lose another chunk. I'd be all over Google cell service (provided it was readily available). Getting tired of Verizon and the crap the shovel.