Google's own wireless carrier

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google is doing a great job providing internet service to rural areas worldwide. At their own expense as well. Give them a chance. There is no downside. We will always have choices.
Except they struggle to expand with Google fiber. Granted they have more politics to overcome with fiber, but with people begging for fiber they could easily play to the public saying "these politicians are standing in the way of progress make your voice known".
As much as I am willing to give them a chance they are going to have to make dual sim nexus phones because it was one thing to go from verizon to att, but there is a reason with all the cost friendly plans that i refuse to go to sprint. And i test drove t-mobile only to come to the conclusion that they are not ready yet.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Except they struggle to expand with Google fiber. Granted they have more politics to overcome with fiber, but with people begging for fiber they could easily play to the public saying "these politicians are standing in the way of progress make your voice known".
As much as I am willing to give them a chance they are going to have to make dual sim nexus phones because it was one thing to go from verizon to att, but there is a reason with all the cost friendly plans that i refuse to go to sprint. And i test drove t-mobile only to come to the conclusion that they are not ready yet.
If the struggle your referring to are cities that are willing to cooperate, I don't believe that's the case.
The map below shows the current cities and those that are up and coming.

upload_2015-1-24_21-17-24.png

There are a total of 34 cities currently aboard with the project.

Arizona
- Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe
California
- San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto
Georgia
- Atlanta, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Hapeville, Sandy Springs, Smyrna
North Carolina
- Charlotte, Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Garner, Morrisville, Raleigh
Oregon
- Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Gresham, Lake Oswego, Tigard
Tennessee
- Nashville-Davidson
Texas
- San Antonio
Utah
- Salt Lake City
I'm not sure it could move any faster.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Title II regulation would help Google significantly. I am against it, but it would give them Right of Way (ROW) access to poles and other established infrastructure.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I've not read one post so coming in late here.. I started reading the OP and stopped at Sprint...

Nuff said... *throws cards in*

Tap'd by Big 6

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the struggle your referring to are cities that are willing to cooperate, I don't believe that's the case.
The map below shows the current cities and those that are up and coming.

View attachment 74136

There are a total of 34 cities currently aboard with the project.

Arizona
- Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe
California
- San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto
Georgia
- Atlanta, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Hapeville, Sandy Springs, Smyrna
North Carolina
- Charlotte, Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Garner, Morrisville, Raleigh
Oregon
- Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Gresham, Lake Oswego, Tigard
Tennessee
- Nashville-Davidson
Texas
- San Antonio
Utah
- Salt Lake City
I'm not sure it could move any faster.
I live in one of those cities that are "up and coming" hence me saying they are having a struggle with politics. When comcast is the main supplier and with att u verse, who also have a foot in, announcing they now are going to have their own high speed fiber network they are doing all they can to keep Google out. Because they like the status quo of poor service for high price. You can only grease so many hands just to bid to see who is going to line whose pockets. For a service that people are demanding there should not be this many obstacles.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Title II regulation would help Google significantly. I am against it, but it would give them Right of Way (ROW) access to poles and other established infrastructure.
Curious to hear why you are against it?
(had to google and read it some more)
86 my question.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I live in one of those cities that are "up and coming" hence me saying they are having a struggle with politics. When comcast is the main supplier and with att u verse, who also have a foot in, announcing they now are going to have their own high speed fiber network they are doing all they can to keep Google out. Because they like the status quo of poor service for high price. You can only grease so many hands just to bid to see who is going to line whose pockets. For a service that people are demanding there should not be this many obstacles.
Actually, ATT and Google entered into an agreement allowing Google to access any owned ATT poles and conduits nationwide.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nevermind net neutrality

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually, ATT and Google entered into an agreement allowing Google to access any owned ATT poles and conduits nationwide.
In my city they are also having to deal with the electric company who owns 80% of the poles.
How long did it take Kansas city to go from announced to power?

Because the news started out hot for us and then the last news article i read showed Google may throw their hands up.

Fortunately for the wireless side Google have access already to some towers. Sprint towers are strong in the large metro areas so they should be able to gain a customer base especially if they are priced competitively.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Curious to hear why you are against it?
(had to google and read it some more)
86 my question.
I might do a separate post on this, but basically Title II is antiquated. The regulations in Title II will not do anything special for Net Neutrality while applying old regulations to new ways of doing things. Any small company that provides internet service like we do will likely not have the funds to become Title II compliant ultimately putting out of business. Title II was made in the Ma Bell ages. The result was Baby Bells. If you don't know what these are without looking them up, it gives you an idea of how antiquated Title II regulation is.

Peering agreements and carriage agreements are not the same thing. Tying them in to the same regulations seems shortsighted.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I might do a separate post on this, but basically Title II is antiquated. The regulations in Title II will not do anything special for Net Neutrality while applying old regulations to new ways of doing things. Any small company that provides internet service like we do will likely not have the funds to become Title II compliant ultimately putting out of business. Title II was made in the Ma Bell ages. The result was Baby Bells. If you don't know what these are without looking them up, it gives you an idea of how antiquated Title II regulation is.

Peering agreements and carriage agreements are not the same thing. Tying them in to the same regulations seems shortsighted.
You ought to do an article on that. Be interested in reading your take on it all especially coming from a person in the industry.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
You ought to do an article on that. Be interested in reading your take on it all especially coming from a person in the industry.
I may consider it.