Google May Be Considering Becoming a Wireless Carrier; In Talks With Dish Network

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-wireless.jpg

Here's an intriguing bit of news for this Friday morning. According to some industry intel, Google is engaging in some "casual" talks with Dish Network about potentially becoming a wireless carrier. If true, the implications of this begin to boggle the mind as the imagination runs wild. Can you picture a "pure" Google device, unfettered by the excessive restrictions of the big carriers like Verizon and AT&T? Sounds pretty good doesn't it?

Of course, the source of this news report (The Wall Street Journal) also shared that these talks are nowhere near any official stages yet, and is more like a friendly sit down chat over morning coffee. In fact, they also reported that Dish Network was having some of the same discussions with AT&T on the subject. However, AT&T doesn't have the $45 Billion in cash like Google. For now we can chock this one up as a potential "dream come true scenario" and wait to see what happens.

Source: Phandroid

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Please let this happen! I'd love to mail vzw a card saying it's been fun and thank you for over charging me for stuff I don't use. I will of course include a pile of dog doo doo in the package as well. :icon_evil:

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^. Care to elaborate? Is that an expression of joy or frustration? lol

droidxd00d

Reaction score
absolute joy haha! as long as I have coverage where I live I would be so into Google everything. verizon can bite me.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I hope this happens. :biggrin:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I hope this is true, but I hope they have damn good coverage.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Hopefully this pans out, I don't want to be disappointed about this fantastic news... They just need to have as much coverage as VZW, specially out in the sticks (VZW is the only carrier that works where I live. AT&T and Sprint get 0 signal at my house)

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Hopefully this pans out, I don't want to be disappointed about this fantastic news... They just need to have as much coverage as VZW, specially out in the sticks (VZW is the only carrier that works where I live. AT&T and Sprint get 0 signal at my house)

I wouldn't hold my breath, at least not for a good decade or so. There currently isn't a network out there that has more coverage than VZW, so no matter what Google does, they'll need time to expand and grow.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Wooooooooooooooooot! I've been saying they need to do this for years. Knowing Google, it'll be great service for a cheap cost (I only say this because every Google service is free and are BEYOND great) and hopefully no dumb upgrade limitations like Verizon has since, assuming the majority of phones would be Android, they'd be getting a new phone practically every other week.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I have family whose husband is in the cell tower business and way back in early 2011 told me that Google was going to do this. I didn't pay much attention, but guess I should have.