[Rumor] Google Secretly Working on New Wireless Network with Clearwire at Google HQ

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-wireless-jan2013.jpg

There is some interesting intel to share about Google this morning. Apparently, Google submitted an application to the FCC, looking to license an “experimental radio service” at the Googleplex headquarters. Apparently, this radio service will be used on devices that can access 2524 to 2625 megahertz frequencies. This is odd, because only certain markets, like China, Japan and Brazil, can currently access wireless devices with this particular spectrum. What makes this even more intriguing is that the frequencies they would be accessing are currently held by Clearwire, and because this would be "licensed spectrum" it will be more reliable than WiFi. Here's a quote from the WSJ with more details,

First, the facts: Google last week submitted an application to the Federal Communications Commission, asking for an experimental license to create an “experimental radio service” with a two-mile radius covering its headquarters.

However, Google’s small-scale wireless network would use frequencies that wouldn’t be compatible with nearly any of the consumer mobile devices that exist today, such as Apple’s iPad or iPhone or most devices powered by Google’s Android operating system. The network would only provide coverage for devices built to access certain frequencies, from 2524 to 2625 megahertz.

Those frequencies, which could work well in densely populated areas, could be important in the future because mobile operators in China, Brazil and Japan already are building wireless networks using them, meaning that compatible devices eventually will be manufactured, said Walter Piecyk, a wireless-industry analyst at research firm BTIG.

A Google spokeswoman on Wednesday declined to comment on the purpose of the application, saying the company regularly experiments with new things.

Much of Google’s application is confidential, but it does say that the first “deployment” of the experimental network will occur inside a specific building on Google’s campus. That building houses the Google Fiber team, which is part of the Google Access unit that has introduced high-speed wired Internet and video in Kansas City, Kan., with plans to expand to Kansas City, Mo., and other cities in the future.

Google Access also is rolling out free Wi-Fi service for New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood, and Google also maintains a free Wi-Fi service for the city of Mountain View.

According to the application, first spotted by wireless engineer Steven Crowley, Google said it would be using wireless frequencies that are controlled by Clearwire Corp., a wireless broadband provider. That means the frequencies are part of what’s called “licensed spectrum” and can be more reliable than Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is unlicensed, meaning it can be used by anyone.

Google currently doesn’t have control of licensed spectrum.

“The only reason to use these frequencies is if you have business designs on some mobile service,” Crowley said.

Could this mean that Google is working toward offering their own mobile device services, and this is an experiment to see if/how they can do it? All signs point to that as a distinct possibility. DancingNexus

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Great work... So much for SECRET, guys... Geez.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Don't shoot the messenger. A leak is fair game.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
"Shut up and take my money!" But seriously. Would love to see this happen. Even if I don't switch. I want to see the pressure put on these companies.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I would jump to Google wireless in a fraction of a heart beat...

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
First, talks of partnering as a wireless provider with Dish (because of their spectrum), now experimenting with Clearwire's spectrum? ... Sounds like Google is keeping their options open. I love where this is heading, and hopefully something can happen soon :hail:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
One consequence, good or bad (probably good), is this will force OEM's and carriers to give support WinMobile and any other viable emerging alternatives because with Moto and getting into mobile data/voice, Google is a real threat.