Google Wallet updated to allow any kind of card.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google Wallet was updated today to allow any kind of card, not just Mastercard any longer. This app is finally useful.

Go get it: Wallet.

I was able to install this from my desktop.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
word. just updated mine. :D but we still are just able to 'tap' at vendors that has the tap pay.

prowler85

Reaction score
That's funny....I had GW installed (I thought doing the work-around to get it from the Play Store). It worked fine, but when I saw this, it wasn't in the list of My Apps on my phone, so I couldn't update it. Couldn't even see it when I searched the Play Store. When I used your link though, it came up (of course), saying it was installed on my Nexus. So I clicked install, selected my Nexus as the device (even though it said it was already installed), and it downloaded to my phone and installed. Don't know why I couldn't see it in my list of apps though. Oh well, all is good now!

Now if there were only more retailers that accepted it. Like maybe EVERY gas station.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmm...might be time to add my "online" Visa card.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wonder since now all card info is stored on a secure online server instead of the secure element on the phone, if this will eliminate the threat of the secure element error that has notoriously borked Wallet in the past for so many people?

Also, I wonder if people who got this error, will their Wallet app now work as well since the secure element is out of the picture?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I wonder since now all card info is stored on a secure online server instead of the secure element on the phone, if this will eliminate the threat of the secure element error that has notoriously borked Wallet in the past for so many people?

Also, I wonder if people who got this error, will their Wallet app now work as well since the secure element is out of the picture?
Well it can only be so secure, which is why I got a specific card for online use only and which is why I encourage others to do the same. Had my info compromised twice before I did this and ever since I started the "online only" haven't had a problem since.

I'm just trying to decide what I would need Google Wallet for lol...

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Well it can only be so secure, which is why I got a specific card for online use only and which is why I encourage others to do the same. Had my info compromised twice before I did this and ever since I started the "online only" haven't had a problem since.

I only use it for smaller amount. like 3 or 5 bucks are 7-11, mcd etc.

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

I was referring to the error that was breaking the nfc functionality of the google wallet app itself, not the security of the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was referring to the error that was breaking the nfc functionality of the google wallet app itself, not the security of the app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
ohhh, gotcha. Never used it so never knew the problems.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
so i was able to upgrade by when i went into and add a gift nothing shows up? anyone else? and when i tried adding a cc it force closed. im running jellybelly 5.1

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
so i was able to upgrade by when i went into and add a gift nothing shows up? anyone else? and when i tried adding a cc it force closed. im running jellybelly 5.1

I added my CC successfully. Although, I had to do it when I had >15% battery. I was blocked by a low battery error from wallet when I was at 13% lol. But I now have my Visa loaded and am ready to rock.

Last edited:

ntrddragn

Reaction score
I added my CC successfully. Although, I had to do it when I had >15% battery. I was blocked by a low battery error from wallet when I was at 13% lol. But I now have my Visa loaded and am ready to rock.

Thanks. I just uninstall and reboot and reinstalled and it worked. :biggrin: it somehow grab 5 of my credit card automatically and just wanted me to verify them and add the address. anyone else?

btw..if my google prepaid card is enable and my cc is enable which one would it use? seems weird that both can be enable.

Last edited: