WARNING! Google wallet issue

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone with some information that is pertinent to google wallet.

EDIT: False alarm. The demo I tested android beam on did not work...the rep brought another nex over and beam worked.

Ok, I have used the hacked google wallet app....and got the infamous Secure element not responding...contact google wallet.

BUT....good news now for those who have gotten this message. It does NOT toast NFC altogether. Beam still works, so it has to be something with the app itself. Yes....the hacked version of gwallet may never work on that device again, BUT....if an official version comes out...its possible it will work correctly. IDK. Weird to me how this is the case because if it was an app issue, you would think that restoring data/removing the app...factory resets, etc...would allow the app to work properly...but it doesnt.

I can however tell you how my wallet message arose. I flashed a rom that did not have nfc working properly...tried to initialize wallet and got the message. So...for now...wallet will not work for me on this device.

Sorry for the confusion...I made a mistake...but wanted to set the record straight on the issue I had. I am somewhat relieved that it did not toast my nfc. Im NOT so pleased that I lost 30 bucks I recharged to a gwallet gift card.

My recommendation to those who continue to use gwallet....verify nfc works properly before attempting to use or even open the wallet app. I suggest testing against another nexus with the android beam. If that works...then there is a high likelihood that wallet will not run into a prob. (fingers crossed)

Last edited:

hydro556

Reaction score
I have never messed with it, and have no intention ever using to pay bills.

My debit card is bad enough. I wish we all used cash, lol, but the whole GW thing never set right with me.

I am sure it will be resolved, but I want no part of it. Best of luck with your device.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well to GW's credit, people are using a hacked version, with an ICS rom, it's bound to have some bad results.

I've used GW on stock at gas stations, works great.

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well to GW's credit, people are using a hacked version, with an ICS rom, it's bound to have some bad results.

I've used GW on stock at gas stations, works great.

So have I. ;) Agree...and I will wait for an official one, which is what I am recommending to folks who want to use it. Im sure they are aware its an At your own risk kinda thing, but dont say you didnt know it would happen if it does. :)

captdroid

Reaction score
Yea I am sticking with stock rooted ICS for now so my google wallet has worked ok.

How are you sure the NFC is 'bricked' ? Are you sure it's not a problem with the ROM you are currently running?

There is a good thread regarding Google Wallet on XDA which has extensive discussion going on the issue you encountered:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1365360

Folks may want to read the experiences with Google Wallet in that XDA thread before making a decision to use Google Wallet or not. From what I have read thus far the secure element problem usually happens when not having a backup of GW and then wiping the phone / installing another ROM and then attempting to reinstall GW. Or the problem happened because early adopters were using the zip install method for GW. All discussed in the XDA thread.

First I have read that the secure element problem has anything to do with NFC no longer working.

Last edited:

GoBears

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I for one will now be deleting wallet until it is officially supported.

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
I just unlocked the bootloader and rooted today. Installed GW...if I uninstall GW, is there anyway to test NFC?

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK OK....hold on...gotta correct myself. I restored factory image and unrooted....tested beam....beam works. So there iS hope...for those who have gotten the gwallet error.

Continue on...forgive my post. I was on a custom rom when I first tested.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

ice456789

Reaction score
I had heard that reported elsewhere, that it kills the NFC hardware.

My question is... since the NFC hardware (or at least some of it) lies in the battery, can those affected just buy a new battery instead of a new phone?

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
I had heard that reported elsewhere, that it kills the NFC hardware.

My question is... since the NFC hardware (or at least some of it) lies in the battery, can those affected just buy a new battery instead of a new phone?

I think it's just the antenna that's on the battery.

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
no...a new battery will not fix. The nfc component is in the phone. Post above is correct... battery just has antenna

Jawbone

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone with some information that is pertinent to google wallet.

Be warned.

If you are using google wallet now...and you eventually get the secure element not responding error message....kiss your NFC goodbye. It DOES somehow brick the actual NFC chip in the phone. Dont know why this would arise by google wallet, but if you do get the message. Android Beam, NFC...nothing will ever work again on your phone. Period.

I am not sure exactly how the error message is triggered, but I can tell you how mine was triggered. NFC was not working in the rom I flashed...or I assume if you have it manually turned off as well, and you try to open wallet...it will attempt to initialize wallet with your device. Then...BAM...you get the dreadful message secure element not responding, please contact google wallet support. (which I DID...and they suggest I get a new device).

So...there is your warning. If it were MY device...I will not use google wallet or any pay system that uses nfc until an officially released one is included in an OTA.

Thats my 2 cents. I verified that android beam no longer works as well...which means NFC altogether is toast.

Careful what you flash. I suggest just deleting wallet if you flash something....OR verify that android beam works...and nfc is actually functional before you try to initialize wallet.

Wow that is pretty bold to say it is permently bricked and NFC will NEVER work again. Can you prove that? I have used GW about twenty times without a single problem.

Jawbone

Reaction score
OK OK....hold on...gotta correct myself. I restored factory image and unrooted....tested beam....beam works. So there iS hope...for those who have gotten the gwallet error.

Continue on...forgive my post. I was on a custom rom when I first tested.

Just read this. Maybe you should edit you OP with your new found knowledge

captdroid

Reaction score
Wow that is pretty bold to say it is permently bricked and NFC will NEVER work again. Can you prove that? I have used GW about twenty times without a single problem.

yea I don't think his NFC was bricked... and the secure element problem is because the secure element ends up locked down because it detects security issue. And BTW I read somewhere the Google Terms that using a custom ROM is not supported for Google Wallet. So even if GW was official for the Galaxy Nexus using a custom ROM would not be support along with GW. Not sure about rooted stock
:icon_ devil: :big smile:

Last edited: