WARNING! Google wallet issue

paul gyver

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well that sux dude. I guess I will flash Axiom now since it has IMO's latest. I do like DT's roms tho.

wil318466

Reaction score
So is the OP completely wrong, or just mostly wrong?

There were some very strong statements made by the OP and now there seems to be some backtracking. FWIW I installed the same rom's he did and had zero issues.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please re-read the OP, he only backtracked because he did more testing.

This still *may* apply with the hacked GW.

captdroid

Reaction score
The 'secure element' is indeed part of the NFC chip, a memory area on the NFC chip separate from main memory. And Verizon's stance regarding Google Wallet amounts to Verizon wanting to control secure payments also with their sim card versus a secure payment being accomplished by using only the NFC chip secure element. Essentially Verizon is attempting to 'block' or say they won't support certain hardware (part of the NFC chip) found in the Galaxy Nexus. This is not the first time and likely not the last time Verizon has pulled this stunt of trying to control what and how hardware/software works on their phones. As I said before this is about Verizon wanting to make money by clearly being anti-competitive and my guess will be rejected in the long run by FCC / court rulings. Or Verizon will eventually change their stance after stalling their competition for a while.

Most NFC Phones to Pack Embedded Chips | NFC Times – Near Field Communication and all contactless technology.

Verizon taking a media beating over Google Wallet, plays coy

Last edited:

R850R

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
R00ted S3
Interesting...so if GW uses a "secure" element of the NFC chip, it pretty much means that once you encode the chip with GW it is locked? In other words, you cannot rewrite the secure element of the NFC chip.

If that's the case and someone like me who installed GW via the apk and VZW either pushes ISIS or an approved GW I might be ok. If GW is approved, then I already have an "account". If VZW pushes ISIS and they want to secure it via the SIM, then the secure portion of the NFC does not matter?

I could be completely off the mark though.

First time rooting a phone (mac superboot method). Not the first time I monkeyed with an OS though. I'm running OSX on a dell mini 10. I just need to figure out the SU commands to un-root my phone if I need to return it.

captdroid

Reaction score
Interesting...so if GW uses a "secure" element of the NFC chip, it pretty much means that once you encode the chip with GW it is locked? In other words, you cannot rewrite the secure element of the NFC chip.

> The NXP secure element part will support other payment applications in addition to GW. So I think the secure element error may be related specifically to GW or may be locked for and affect other future payment applications as well.

If that's the case and someone like me who installed GW via the apk and VZW either pushes ISIS or an approved GW I might be ok. If GW is approved, then I already have an "account". If VZW pushes ISIS and they want to secure it via the SIM, then the secure portion of the NFC does not matter?

> The NXP chip and secure element can be used in conjunction with sim authentication for payment processing. NXP chip supports sim authentication/communication. Thus the secure element part of the NXP chip may or may not play a role in ISIS. Verizon wants the requirement that their sim be used so they can make money by licensing/selling/renting whatever... sim usage for payment processing.

I could be completely off the mark though.

First time rooting a phone (mac superboot method). Not the first time I monkeyed with an OS though. I'm running OSX on a dell mini 10. I just need to figure out the SU commands to un-root my phone if I need to return it.

Answers marked with > above

More easy reading :) http://www.nxp.com/news/press-relea...-implemented-in-galaxy-nexus-from-google.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Has anyone copied and saved the files they deleted and replaced to get GW working on a rooted phone? Perhaps of those files were restored and unrooted, it will work? I had mine initiated and then rooted. Only to find out that I got the "message." I am going to unroot and see if it works again.

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I tried it all to no avail. Restore stock img...restore nandroid....restore data from tibu.....flash new rom. Nothing worked.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Reaction score
Thanks, Yakitori.

I haven't attempted to get GW to work on my rooted device. So hopefully it will work again after I unroot again. And i may try locking the Bootloader again too. And see if that works also. I know you tried everything. But I figured with electronic devices and software seemingly having a mind of their own, that it's worth a try. For me anyways.

I am thinking about writing down my Developer device ID number just incase. You know, insurance replacement, warranty replacement (hardware related,) etc.

Last edited:
OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, Yakitori.

I haven't attempted to get GW to work on my rooted device. So hopefully it will work again after I unroot again. And i may try locking the Bootloader again too. And see if that works also. I know you tried everything. But I figured with electronic devices and software seemingly having a mind of their own, that it's worth a try. For me anyways.

I am thinking about writing down my Developer device ID number just incase. You know, insurance replacement, warranty replacement (hardware related,) etc.

Well..gwallet is unapproved so verizon will likely not replace your device based on the secure element error. I am pretty much stuck with my device like it is...which is not a big deal I guess...its a cool feature to use wallet, but...more of a showcase idea than a daily use thing for me. The QT I go to doesnt have paypass and I dont want to drive out of my way to spend at 7-11 anyway lol. QT is much faster. Im always in and out of that place faster than any other store I go to....its always the people who pay with cash or want lottery tickets or some brand of cigs the cashier doesnt know about...they hold up the line. They apparently arent observant enough to see QT's customer satisfaction by moving the line quickly as possible.

Hi...credit...no recpeipt....thanks...have a nice day...out. Takes all of 5 seconds. :) sorry for the rant...just got behind someone like above in line this morning. Everyone in line starts rolling their eyes and sighing like we are at a post office. lol

pilot25

Reaction score
I have never messed with it, and have no intention ever using to pay bills.

My debit card is bad enough. I wish we all used cash, lol, but the whole GW thing never set right with me.

I am sure it will be resolved, but I want no part of it. Best of luck with your device.

Absolutely!!! If its easier for you than its easier for someone to hack your accounts. GW is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Reaction score
Thanks, Yakitori.

Well..gwallet is unapproved so verizon will likely not replace your device based on the secure element error. I am pretty much stuck with my device like it is...which is not a big deal I guess...its a cool feature to use wallet, but...more of a showcase idea than a daily use thing for me. The QT I go to doesnt have paypass and I dont want to drive out of my way to spend at 7-11 anyway lol. QT is much faster. Im always in and out of that place faster than any other store I go to....its always the people who pay with cash or want lottery tickets or some brand of cigs the cashier doesnt know about...they hold up the line. They apparently arent observant enough to see QT's customer satisfaction by moving the line quickly as possible.

Hi...credit...no recpeipt....thanks...have a nice day...out. Takes all of 5 seconds. :) sorry for the rant...just got behind someone like above in line this morning. Everyone in line starts rolling their eyes and sighing like we are at a post office. lol

Don't worry about the rant, Yakitori. I rant all the time. Rarely does anyone tell me to shut up. Lmao! (At least to my race or on here.) Thanks again for your help and wise words.

Following up on my last post, I flashed my phone back to stock, so it was back to being locked and unrooted. And I noticed that my developer device ID number was different. So that was a bust. That's what I get for not backing up my nandroid to my computer first. Lmao!

But, I was having issues with my screen flickering or "winking" at me. When I got back from my anniversary and got some other stuff ironed out, it was after I posted here. So I got the tech to swap my phone. I was still in my 14 days. My screen works properly now (thank God! It was getting annoying and aggravating.)

So now, after knowing that if I do use the hacked apk, it could do something to the chip until any official NFC app comes our way! I am going to wait. Lol. Boring, I know. But I don't need to show off my phone with the NFC right now. I can still show it off in other ways and still make the iFanboi's green in the face. (Idiots.)

*Edited

Last edited:

prowler85

Reaction score
Well, I rooted my phone right off the bat and installed the leaked GW. Have tried a few ROMs and have used the TI backup to restore GW with data.....and mine still works fine. But Yak may be right in that if I ever tried to load a new GW apk or used one that might come in a future build, that would give me the error. Probably not a problem though as I always backup my apps and data before any major changes to my phone and I can re-install from my backup over any GW that might get installed in an update. So hopefully that is what's going on.

Hamish_The_Yeti

Reaction score
Google Wallet

I talked to a Verizon rep who told me the reason that Google Wallet had been disabled was because Verizon is working on their own App that will essentially do the same thing, which would make Verizon potentially millions of dollars a year.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I talked to a Verizon rep who told me the reason that Google Wallet had been disabled was because Verizon is working on their own App that will essentially do the same thing, which would make Verizon potentially millions of dollars a year.

Which is illegal...They cited a bogus security issue as the reason, instead of just releasing with the phone.