Reaction score
s3 has like 2100 or 2200 unless u meant bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I believe a lot has to do with the chip manufacture. From what I understand, the newer chips like the ones in the GSIII and Note II is manufactured using the newer 28 nm process while the older chips like in the Bionic and the Rezound were manufactured using the older process (30-something nm?). Supposedly the new chips have a much lower power consumption. The SIII has a 1650 mAH standard battery and my son can last the entire day on that, and while he doesn't use it when he is in school, when he is out he regularly streams Pandora.

The standard battery in the S3 is 2100mAh. The S2 had a 1650mAH standard battery. :)

You're definitely right about the architecture used in the newer chips. They are more efficient than the older ones.

Last edited:

geoff5093

Reaction score
I've purchased several phones at full retail over the years. With most of those, after a few days of use, I kind of regret not having waited a little bit so that I could save a couple hundred bucks by buying one slightly used or new from someone who was just looking to make some money off selling their upgrade device. But that hasn't been the case in the slightest with the Note 2. It was worth every penny. I've never been this completely satisfied with a phone.
Same here! I went through the S3, MAXX HD, DNA, and now the Note 2. The Note 2 is the best phone I've used, it took me a little while to adjust to the size but I love the thing now, I don't even find myself using my Nexus 7 anymore.

jseah

Reaction score
I've purchased several phones at full retail over the years. With most of those, after a few days of use, I kind of regret not having waited a little bit so that I could save a couple hundred bucks by buying one slightly used or new from someone who was just looking to make some money off selling their upgrade device. But that hasn't been the case in the slightest with the Note 2. It was worth every penny. I've never been this completely satisfied with a phone.

What ticks me off is if you look at phone prices, the subsidized price always goes on sale, or goes lower over time, but the full retail price never changes.

jseah

Reaction score
The standard battery in the S3 is 2100mAh. The S2 had a 1650mAH standard battery. :)

You're definitely right about the architecture used in the newer chips. They are definitely much more efficient than the older ones.

Oops....my bad. Prior to the Note II, I was using the Rezound with the 2750 mAH extended battery (my daughter has the same setup as well). The S3 with the standard battery lasts longer than the Rezound with the extended battery. I use the phone less than my son, but my daughter uses her phone more than my son. Her Rezound battery will usually be in the red by around 5-6 pm (she gets up at 7 am). When I was using the Rezound, if I did not plug it back into the charge to "top it off", I would be in the red by around 10 pm.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
What ticks me off is if you look at phone prices, the subsidized price always goes on sale, or goes lower over time, but the full retail price never changes.

That's purely business. All carriers would rather sell a device on contract and get you on the hook for another two years versus just selling the phone outright. So, they're naturally going to place the incentives to buy with the subsidized price.

jseah

Reaction score
That's purely business. All carriers would rather sell a device on contract and get you on the hook for another two years versus just selling the phone outright. So, they're naturally going to place the incentives to buy with the subsidized price.

I can understand the carriers, but what about the other retailers like Best Buy or Amazon? Are they purchasing the phone from Verizon, or from Samsung?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I can understand the carriers, but what about the other retailers like Best Buy or Amazon? Are they purchasing the phone from Verizon, or from Samsung?

Third-party retailers are selling carrier-branded devices for the carriers, with the point still being to sell contracts. They're not making their money off the price of the device (as is evidenced by the fact that they often have lower subsidized prices). They're making their money off signing people up for new contracts. So the same rules apply.

It's different for unlocked, unbranded devices that don't have any carrier ties, or for old carrier branded devices that have been completely discontinued. But for newer devices that are tied to a carrier, it all comes down to wanting to sign people up for a contract.

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
found a local one for 600.. what's retail 649?699?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
seen a razr HD for 150.. isn't it sad I wouldn't take it, even for free lol

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
seen a razr HD for 150.. isn't it sad I wouldn't take it, even for free lol

Oh I'd take one for free...

...just so I could turn around and sell it. :)

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
havent heard back yet.. probably sold or in the process