Google needs a "Lounge" ala iTunes...

DroidHoff

Reaction score
The announcement of DazzBoard seems to be a step in the right direction but Phone to Computer integration is 1 (the only) thing the iPhone does do better than my DROID. All the reviews I read online with iPhone vs Android etc... end by stating that what will ultimately keep iPhone ahead (in consumers minds) is its easy integration with iTunes. I DO NOT want Android to be able to sync with iTunes ala Pre because I think it can be done better so this is not a iWish list for Android rather just a thought as to how to keep Androids momentum going forward. Google already does an excellent job integrating their services i.e. Gmail, calendar, feeds...to the Android platform and I would view this as the next logical step for total Android dominance.

This is what would I imagine..... A downloadable software program such as iTunes so that there is a central home for devices, you could call it a "lounge" of sorts. In the "lounge" users would be able to place widgets for the google services they use most calendar, gmail, etc..... Loungers would be able to download music, video even make purchases via complete Amazon integration. Loungers would also have access to the Market with better / more screenshots and information available all from their home computer. Loungers would also be able to personalize their "lounge" for a custom experience and add feeds from their favorite android forums or other forums they frequent. Changes made within the lounge could be synced wirelessly or via usb and would update your google accounts.

In my opinion this would catapult Android past iPhone and make Google the trailblazers which they've shown they can be. Too many people are hooked into apple with iTunes, its almost become what I call the Kleenex effect no one asks for a tissue anymore they say i need a Kleenex which is really just a brand of tissue. Google needs to buck this trend before it becomes to late. I can only hope someone at Google realizes the opportunity they have infront of them and the momentum they have seized from the Goliath for the time being. Let me know what you all think!

Thanks,
DroidHoff

Last edited:

LastLaugh

Reaction score
Brilliant idea, i dont see why it wouldnt be possible. I use doubltwist right now and its kinda a ***** to use so i would love to see an improvement.

Ryanhoward06

Reaction score
I could not agree more. This should be Google's number one priority for Android. I would love a app/music/movies/etc. store where I could just buy prepaid cards and purchase everything I want and it would automatically sync to my phone.

It's hard to believe they have't done this yet. Since everything would sync I would switch over to Amazon to purchase all my music. I know I can now relatively easy, but it's not as easy as Itunes.

I would also completely overhaul the music player. It's pretty bad.

After taking care of the media the next thing they need to do is fix the camera(if possible)!

Side note: Long time reader, just decided to join to comment on this. I hope to continue to learn about my Droid from this site.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I totally disagree. I think Double Twist is easy to use for transferring music and photos. Amazon mp3 is a great place to purchase music.

Besides I don't want my Droid to be an iPhone. I like it with its own identity. YMMV and probably will.

moot

Reaction score
Yes, I totally agree. Something from google would be wonderful.

I've tried double twist multiple times, it does not fully sync my library. It syncs about 10gigs and just hangs. Plus, it does not have podcast support. I have not been able to get Salling to work on my computer, it just crashes whenever I try to sync. This is pretty much why I still keep my ipod touch around for music, video/audio podcasts.

FireDroid

Reaction score
I dont want an Iphone either but it would be nice to have one place to do it all for the droid. yes I use Itunes agent and it is pretty painless but I am tech savvy and there are people out there that have no idea how to do such a thing. If Droid wants to compete completly with Iphone, it needs to at least match it stride for stride!

Be honest, Itunes is super easy to use for anyone!

tktouch12

Reaction score
I agree also. That would be so nice. Maybe link facebook and YouTube in there somehow. Then it would be like a backup for our phones too. We could even tell it how are phone is setup so if we restore all our apps are in the appropriate folders in the right places and out widgets are where we told them to be on our last phone. That was a little too far, but this whole idea would be great
it could take over iTunes I believe. because of how many people are going to android for smartphones

OP
DroidHoff

DroidHoff

Reaction score
To ryanhoward06, welcome! This forum is a great place to share ideas and gather request / information!

Hopefully we see something like this soon from google! If this thread gets large enough I will forward it to google so they can see some of what their consumers are asking for and then who knows!

I do not want an iphone either, but as one poster mentioned you must admit itunes is super easy to use. Android CAN do it better though. People tend to give up on things that they don't understand or become to complex and this is what google must be careful of. thanks for all the replies! Keep'm comin'!

Droidhoff

CharlieDog

Reaction score
I would have to get behind something like this, the ease of intergration between devices and computer is something apple does flawlessly, if Android could get on that, wow. It would definitely be something to be reckoned with.