Not open for further replies.

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
I have more than one moto droid

I've been messing with froyo since late friday night/early saturday morning its still on one of my phones and there is no way its any faster than BB.

You guys need to show me proof.

I've had pm's from people sayng there's no way bb is that fast. They are wrong. I'll get some posts up later today of my speeds on BB and my speeds on froyo, they are pretty close according to the speed test apps, but as for hands on use I find when switching between apps as I do alot long pressing home and jumping between apps froyo lags for me there. Pete BB works flaswlessly for me there.

If its an install thing show me what you've done special. I used both methods to install with the same results.
Its faster than most 2.1 roms yes, but I've yet to find any rom to run as clean and fast as BB. Please show me what im doing wrong so I can see the speed everyone talks about from froyo.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is proof all over this forum. Every single linpack and quandrant score, when OCed to the same speed, is much better on 2.2 than it is on 2.1. Again, you would need to provide the proof, not us.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been messing with froyo since late friday night/early saturday morning its still on one of my phones and there is no way its any faster than BB.

I've had pm's from people sayng there's no way bb is that fast. They are wrong. I'll get some posts up later today of my speeds on BB and my speeds on froyo, they are pretty close according to the speed test apps, but as for hands on use I find when switching between apps as I do alot long pressing home and jumping between apps froyo lags for me there. Pete BB works flaswlessly for me there.

If its an install thing show me what you've done special. I used both methods to install with the same results.
Its faster than most 2.1 roms yes, but I've yet to find any rom to run as clean and fast as BB. Please show me what im doing wrong so I can see the speed everyone talks about from froyo.

i know it's a headache, but since you're in the more unique situation of having two droids, it would be great if you could set them on a table next to each other and video a few examples, including the about screens, and throw them up on youtube or somethin'

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
MAD450r said:

The pages and pages of linpack scores and quadrant benches didn't work for you?

Look, if you think BB 1.1 is better, run that. I don't see what the big deal is. I thought this Froyo leak was pretty cool and I ran it for a while, but I myself am going to stick with the latest CyanogenMod until the 2.2 source hits AOSP and cyanogen builds a froyo-based ROM. My personal experience (qualitative) was that the froyo build was just as snappy at 800 MHz as the latest CM was at 1.2 GHz. However, I was getting cooler temps and better battery life on CM. The linpack scores (quantitative) I saw on Froyo were in the mid 12s @ 800, the best I could do on CM was high 9s @ 1200, this result pretty much all due to the stable JIT enabled in 2.2.

Tino

Reaction score

You sir, are becoming a troll. You've made your point, now move on.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
MAD450r said:

Look, if you think BB 1.1 is better, run that. I don't see what the big deal is. I thought this Froyo leak was pretty cool and I ran it for a while, but I myself am going to stick with the latest CyanogenMod until the 2.2 source hits AOSP and cyanogen builds a froyo-based ROM. My personal experience (qualitative) was that the froyo build was just as snappy at 800 MHz as the latest CM was at 1.2 GHz. However, I was getting cooler temps and better battery life on CM. The linpack scores (quantitative) I saw on Froyo were in the mid 12s @ 800, the best I could do on CM was high 9s @ 1200, this result pretty much all due to the stable JIT enabled in 2.2.

That cannot be disputed. I heard bootdscoob has a JIT working good too. Does BB has JIT? Or did u install some kind of JIT on BB?

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
I want to see proof

as for linpack I told you I seen identitcal numbers

and I had my BB set to 800mhz and I had froyo on 1200 with identical scores as for everyday usage basic alt-tabbing as we do with our pc's and running games and texting all that fun stuff. I find BB is faster switching between apps and no lag whatsoever. 2.2 can switch 2or 3 times then it starts to lag down and make my apps run slower, not to mention not every app works on 2.2 yet. I cant even get my favorite chat program to install on froyo. cause mine is requiring MM to install it and MM doesn't work right on 2.2 yet. It wont even start up properly

I thought it was due to my install so I started over on another phone same issue. I currently have access to 3 moto droids and my incredible. as for right now I still say BB is faster you can all say its not or shouldn't be but it is.

I went throug this same type of arguement with people when I got ahold of windows 7 early and I use to say it was the fastest windows os ever most called me full of it cause it didn't work well with eveything yet, but it was significantly faster on what did work. that is why im asking for others to show me proof, and to tell me what im doing wrong installing it.

I have tried both sprecovery and clockwork. I wiped 3 times as suggested in this thread for each install. Yet I still see better performance when multitasking with BB.

yes it is fast and it does take about 25 minutes after first boot to get things to finish and get up to par with its speed so I did test and wait for all. as for Flash player I have yet to see any inprovement over using 2.1 with skyfire. I tried skyfire on froyo and its laggy on 2.2, im sure that will be fixed soon enough and im sure its just not writen to work with 2.2 yet.

I tried many kernals on froyo and I bet pete with stock kernal will still keep up with 2.2 overclocked . Im sure many will argue but hey whatever works I always say.

Im going to whipe again right now on one of my moto's and try wit my brand new class 6 sdcard and see if that will make froyo run as other's say it is but with my bb on a class 6 card I've yet to find any rom to be faster.

MAD450r

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
mad450r.spaces.live.com
cant compare it to CM

i've never found CM to be fast, its been very stable yes. But just about any rom out there now will beat it speed wise. That is why I wont run it for long I've tried every version CM put out too.

No rom's for Moto droid on 2.1 run as fast as BB, none. I've tried them all have them all saved up on my pc here.

wrwarwick

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the "Error while flashing boot image!' message in Clockwork? I get this message everytime I try to flash the ROM.

brando56894

Reaction score
as for me being in the minority I tried it on a motorola droid and I ran my BB on my droid I use skyfire browser and I can do everything froyo can and I find it runs faster on my droid. Do I have some magic super speed droid no im running 1.2 kernal on my BB, I tried mine set to 800mhz on BB while I had froyo at 1200 still my BB opens things faster so till I see proof its faster on froyo Im staying with Petes BB. I've seen BB get slow when installed over other roms without whiping completly twice. So many may have never used BB at its fullest speed.

Install launcher pro and knock the kernel up from 800mhz to 1.2 ghz and you definitely see a difference in real world performance. I was using BBv1.1 and then CM 5.0.7.1 (both at 1.2 GHz) before I switched to the froyo rom and it definitely is faster. Pete said hes currently working on a froyo BB :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly, when I've run BB or rooted 2.1, it's been EXTREMELY quick and smooth. Froyo has been faster, and obviously the scores have pointed to that, but for me it hasn't been this "holy crap I have a new phone" type of increase, it's only been slight - but at least noticeable. I think there are 2 reasons some people are seeing such a dramatic speed increase: 1) It's a wipe and clean install... the phone never runs smoother except for right after this happens! and 2) the scores people are posting just pad the perception of this massive increase in speed. I'm not saying it's not happening, I'm just saying it might not be ALL due to switching to FroYo.

The pendulum tends to swing too far in both directions, and typically the truth is somewhere in the middle.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The real difference u will see with Flash over Skyfire is u will be able to use more Flash sites, see more content.

And u bring up a good point: some apps are not compatible with 2.2 yet. Which makes it crazy that is syncs all your old apps from the market. Ppl are bound to have cimpatibality issues. I cant even use Home Switcher yet...

But just run Quadrant and pay attentionto the cpu part of the test. Or just compare how long it takes to complete the entire test with BB vs. 2.2

And....I'm running Birdmans' Fly 2.2 ROM...so check for some 2.2 ROMs thats coming out now. That might make for an overall better experience. But I cant believe BB is faster than 2.2

brando56894

Reaction score
MAD450r said:

That cannot be disputed. I heard bootdscoob has a JIT working good too. Does BB has JIT? Or did u install some kind of JIT on BB?

2.1 cant take full advantage of JIT since most apps werent compiled with JIT support, linpack is though. A lot of 2.2 apps that were updated to support 2.2 include JIT support along with the android base system supporting JIT, so it can be disputed dancedroid

As for skyfire being laggy on 2.2, AFAIK skyfire uses flashlight which ive heard is pretty crappy. 2.2 runs full flash, but its in the beta stage. Try the stock browser or xscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.