Droid for Droid X Price and Config

7 VII 7

Reaction score
I want the Droid X, but I am not up for an upgrade until 2012. I want to sell my Droid in good condition for $190ish and then use that money to buy the Droid X.

My question is how much will the Droid X be out of contract if I want to buy it and just switch over to my current plan? I see $199 but that looks to be with a 2 year contract.

If I do get the Droid X will all my contacts port over since I use google to back everything up?

Man I hope it is not over $600 for it out of contract.

matrice0056

Reaction score
You should be able to go to your carrier and find out their no contract price. Be prepared to pay a lot though. Even crappy little flip phones still go for 300+ these days. :icon_evil:

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
When I went to get mine I was told "about 600", he seemed to think 629 was about right.

matrice0056

Reaction score
Couldn't find anything online but it's 199 AFTER the mail in rebate w/ a contract. I would call or go to Verizon.

mddx

Reaction score
There are many of us in this boat. I called verizon and they do not know the price of the phone yet (other than the upgrade cost for new customers). They "suggested" it was going to be around $599.00.

I purchased my Droid last December. My early termination is $300. I asked her if I could terminate and order for $199.00 and save $100.00. The answer is clearly yes.

Verizon has not given this enough thought. This is the same crap we went through initially with att and the iphone. They need to have an upgrade program for existing customers or we will all cancel and resign.

I encourage you to call Verizon and ask the same questions. If enough of us call maybe they will wake up.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
There are many of us in this boat. I called verizon and they do not know the price of the phone yet (other than the upgrade cost for new customers). They "suggested" it was going to be around $599.00.

I purchased my Droid last December. My early termination is $300. I asked her if I could terminate and order for $199.00 and save $100.00. The answer is clearly yes.

Verizon has not given this enough thought. This is the same crap we went through initially with att and the iphone. They need to have an upgrade program for existing customers or we will all cancel and resign.

I encourage you to call Verizon and ask the same questions. If enough of us call maybe they will wake up.

The problem with your early termination idea is that once you go early term, you have to wait 6 months to get a new contract.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
You could sell your Droid on eBay for $200 and pay the ~$600 full retail for the Droid X and you'd be in about the same boat, money-wise.

benster

Reaction score
You could sell your Droid on eBay for $200 and pay the ~$600 full retail for the Droid X and you'd be in about the same boat, money-wise.

That's what I want to do - is there any chance that we'd get the $100 rebate as well? That would make it a no brainer...

benster

phatkat66

Reaction score

The problem with your early termination idea is that once you go early term, you have to wait 6 months to get a new contract.

Really? So how are other people doing it because i've heard that idea come up many times, but i don't like the idea of canceling over and over again appearing on my record (if there is one) Im a loyal costumer, and I believe my loyalty usually gets rewarded when the time comes.

sheba611

Reaction score
No $100 rebate for out of contract pricing

That's what I want to do - is there any chance that we'd get the $100 rebate as well? That would make it a no brainer...

benster

You won't get the $100 off or MIR if you pay out of contract price. The $100 rebate is only for new customers getting a 2 year contract or for those eligible to extend existing contract.

Once you get the phone out of contract, you literally are out of contract. Your bill is month to month.

I know this because I had previously ordered the Incredible out of contract (for $529.99) and my phone and data plan were listed as month to month once I activated the new phone. I cancelled the Incredible order and am now waiting to get the Droid X. I do hope it is not more than $599.99.

benster

Reaction score
That stinks - I still may do it, though. I probably will wait to get Froyo on my Droid and see if I can wait until November when my first year with my Droid and Verizon is up and see if I can get an early upgrade then. Otherwise, it's pay Big Red and get whatever I can get for the Droid on eBay.

Thanks for the info...

benster

daddyd302

Reaction score

You could find someone, a friend or family, to take over your phone and contract. I've spoken a friend and she's willing to take the phone and contract off me. I'm giving it away for free. To me, it's better that way, she gets a phone and my contract is history!!! I bought my Driod last December, I don't want to wait til next year to upgrade.

I spoke to Verizon about this and the rep told me, I would lose my number, it stays with the phone. Now I'm a little worry about all the apps I bought and my goggle number. Does anyone know if they stay with my gmail account, or my phone number??? The Verizon rep didn't know anything about it.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

You could find someone, a friend or family, to take over your phone and contract. I've spoken a friend and she's willing to take the phone and contract off me. I'm giving it away for free. To me, it's better that way, she gets a phone and my contract is history!!! I bought my Driod last December, I don't want to wait til next year to upgrade.

I spoke to Verizon about this and the rep told me, I would lose my number, it stays with the phone. Now I'm a little worry about all the apps I bought and my goggle number. Does anyone know if they stay with my gmail account, or my phone number??? The Verizon rep didn't know anything about it.
You can upgrade on the 15th if you are eligible for an upgrade in 2010 (either 1 year contract or 2 year contract on the main line before Jan 1, 2010)..and the X will make you sign into a google account, so just sign into the one on your Droid and everything will be good.