Help On Buying a Droid X

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid the day it came out in November, and I realllyyy want a Droid X (just like everyone else lol). I would like to buy it through Best Buy, but I have a few questions first.

Will I have to pay FULL price because my contract hasn't expired??
If so then no Droid X for me :)

Whats up with the Pre-Order??

How do I know if I qualify for an early upgrade??

Would I be able to sort of "trade in" my Droid as money towards it?? Sounds like a no as it cant be done through Verizon either lol.

Help is greatly appreciated,
Brick

just4747

Reaction score
I purchased my Droid the day it came out in November, and I realllyyy want a Droid X (just like everyone else lol). I would like to buy it through Best Buy, but I have a few questions first.

Would I be able to sort of "trade in" my Droid as money towards it?? Sounds like a no as it cant be done through Verizon either lol.

Brick

There are quite a few threads on this already, but if your contract end date is within 2010, any day in 2010 at all, you can upgrade to the X at the $199 price ($299 at VZW with $100 mail-in rebate). I think this may only be at Verizon though.

Some people like myself have called VZW customer service since our contracts end shortly after 2011 starts, and have gotten them to move up our upgrade dates so that we can get the phone for the lower price.

Also, if your upgrade price is anytime soon, you can upgrade cheap with that obviously.

But at Best Buy, I think they will only be giving the $199 price to people who already have an upgrade opportunity or are becoming a new customer. I don't think (not sure) they go by that whole contract end date special thing like VZW.

OP
xXbrick84Xx

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score

Brick

There are quite a few threads on this already, but if your contract end date is within 2010, any day in 2010 at all, you can upgrade to the X at the $199 price ($299 at VZW with $100 mail-in rebate). I think this may only be at Verizon though.

Some people like myself have called VZW customer service since our contracts end shortly after 2011 starts, and have gotten them to move up our upgrade dates so that we can get the phone for the lower price.

Also, if your upgrade price is anytime soon, you can upgrade cheap with that obviously.

But at Best Buy, I think they will only be giving the $199 price to people who already have an upgrade opportunity or are becoming a new customer. I don't think (not sure) they go by that whole contract end date special thing like VZW.

Well it looks like I'll be paying some extra $ for mine, being that I got my Droid in November 2009.........

Thanks for the reply,
Brick

just4747

Reaction score
Np, but I would try calling up VZW CS as many times as you need to and plead with them to move up your upgrade date to be eligible for the lower price at BB. Just mention that you want to re-sign for 2 more years/buy the X next week and they might be able to change your upgrade date like they did for me.

Can't hurt to try.

dtyrewilliams

Reaction score
Took me 4 phone calls to VZW, but I got my eligibility date moved up 6 days so that I could get the phone from Best Buy. I know if I don't get it on the 15th that f'er is gonna be on hella back order. Don't give up if they tell you they can't, because they can. You just have to talk to the right cust service rep who happens to have a good supervisor on duty that night. Matter of fact it wasn't just 6 days they made me eligible as of the day I called (yesterday)

debacle

Reaction score
When I upgraded to my Droid, it was late Feb/early Mar. My original upgrade date wasnt until mid May if I remember right. Just called up Verizon customer service, told them my P.O.S. Glyde was getting almost unusable, and they moved my upgrade date up several months. First call. Wasnt a big deal.

Seven71ne

Reaction score
Took me 4 phone calls to VZW, but I got my eligibility date moved up 6 days so that I could get the phone from Best Buy. I know if I don't get it on the 15th that f'er is gonna be on hella back order. Don't give up if they tell you they can't, because they can. You just have to talk to the right cust service rep who happens to have a good supervisor on duty that night. Matter of fact it wasn't just 6 days they made me eligible as of the day I called (yesterday)

Its not gonna be on back order man. They might sell out, but this phone doesn't have an anoled screen, like the incredible, i think they already learned they're lesson. IF they do sell out, and most likely will, youll be able to get the phone in a day or two. Patience!

Seven

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I dont remember the original droid selling out. Is the Hype for the X bigger?

hendrix

Reaction score
No, people are just paranoid due to HTC issues (even though as stated before, those issues don't apply to this phone).

cincycats51

Reaction score
Now I am a little concerned...

My contract actually ran up last month, so my Verizon account says my contract is "Month to month", but I cant get a new phone till November because I had a new phone put in through Verizon last year. I contacted a Verizon rep about it and she said I am eligible for the smartphone upgrade seeing as my contract has run up, but its through the new early upgrade promotion. But like just4747 said, he doesnt think you can do that through best buy. Hopefully the Verizon stores dont sell out around here, because that may be where I am getting it from now...

maniacman54

Reaction score

You can do the early upgrade at Best Buy as well, but you have to call up verizon and tell them to put a flag on your account or some type of indicator that says that you're eligible for an early upgrade (if it does end in 2010).

cincycats51

Reaction score

You can do the early upgrade at Best Buy as well, but you have to call up verizon and tell them to put a flag on your account or some type of indicator that says that you're eligible for an early upgrade (if it does end in 2010).

Im on the phone with a Verizon rep right now and she said you cant do the early upgrade through Best Buy...only through a Verizon retail store.

maniacman54

Reaction score
that's weird. I've seen on another forum that's what other people were doing. maybe they were single situations. sorry i tried :)