OG Droid to Droid X - should I "upgrade"?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I currently have a Motorola Droid (original). I got it August of 2010 on a two year contract. I have about another year to go before I can upgrade it using Verizon's special pricing. It's been rooted, and I'm running MIUI ROMs on it. I love it to pieces.

But I have a nagging thought that I want a Droid X. I'm not really sure why I want one, other than it's something new to play with.

I've been bopping around on Swappa looking at phones, and there's always a great deal there - some people sell their Droid X's for about $250 in almost new condition.

I'm curious as to what you all think about purchasing a Droid X to use until my upgrade. If I don't have any complaints with my OG Droid, is it worth it?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
it's a solid phone with great developer support but remember that the locked down bootloader means less customization and if you're a fan of miui there has not and possibly will not be a droid x release. all in all though i think it's a solid phone.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe that the Droid X is going to go 'End of Life' next month if it hasn't already. The X2 should be coming out soon. Just some food for thought.

eurosteve

Reaction score
I recently did an "early upgrade" to the X after one year with my OG Droid. I'm pretty sure you can still do this. I took a 1 year contract (paid extra $70). These 1 year contracts are going away soon. Anyway I really like the X. But I'm not rooted. And GB is coming soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I wouldn't waste a 2 year contract on a droid x at this point...if you absolutely need a new phone go with the thunderbolt or wait for the incredible 2. Don't get me wrong, the droidx/droid2 are both far superior to the droid 1 from an actual device standpoint and I like my droid 2 even more than I liked my droid 1. With that said, I bought my d2 from a friend back in december for $85 but even then I wouldn't have signed a new two year agreement. Its not that the devices aren't great, I just feel like at this stage in the game to sign a new 2 year contract for a droid x seems silly. If your itching for a droid x, look on ebay or craigslist...I'm fairly positive you can get one in great condition (obviously off contract) for around $200 on ebay

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I had the same itch back in January and jumped from the D1 to the X via ebay. I love the X, especially with the leaked GB on it. It most defiantly will hold me over until my next upgrade! (You can also recover some cash by selling that D1.

Dukefrukem

Reaction score
Here's my timeline:

Sept 09; Moto Droid
May 10; HTC Incredible
April 11; Moto Droid 2 (work phone)
April 11; Moto Droid X (screen cracked and got the X for $60)
June 11; Eligible for an upgrade

Id say wait for the Incredible 2, Droid X2 to be released. Good things are coming shortly.

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Just for clarification - I'm not ACTUALLY upgrading with Verizon. I would just be activating a device that I purchased from a third party. I'm not eligible for a real upgrade until much later this year. It's like if I bought a phone at retail price through Verizon and activated it - that wouldn't use my upgrade or cause me to get a new contract.

I know the X is going EOL soon. Doesn't make much of a difference to me. The slimmer pickings of custom ROMs is definitely putting me off, I must say. I am also not sure how I feel about going to a device without a physical keyboard. I actually use the Droid's slide out one quite a bit for longer emails and texts. I do like the idea of a bigger screen though.

Decisions, decisions.

jdmpwr07

Reaction score
If I were purchasing a phone now I would have 3 choices:

Droid X for $150
iPhone for $200
HTC Thunderbolt for $250

I have been so happy with my Droid X as my first smart phone. Go try them out and see which you like best.

Darkside86

Reaction score
I came from the original droid (which i still have) and it is still a great phone but I love my DX a lot better. It is faster, bigger screen, you can still install GB currently which runs and looks much better. Even the BLUR is nice on it. You can't go wrong with buying a cheap droid x.

OP
Laur3nNewm4n

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your feedback here. I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning towards not at this point. I have held a DX before, and I feel that, although the screen size is great for apps and such, the primary purpose of the phone is to be, well, a phone, and it's a bit big for me. Plus it doesn't have the slide out keyboard, which I use a lot. I think I could get used to the DX, but I'm happy with what I have, as it's quite zippy and very customizeable.

I think when it comes time to actually upgrade, I'll wait for the D3 ...