Upgrade to Droid X or wait for Thunderbolt

rissman1275

Reaction score
Now What???

Sorry, but its a little late to get s DX. I believe that the date of death for the X is 3.31.11 (meaning it will get no mor updates and VZ will basically forget about it), less than a month away. The Thunderbolt, Inc S, Xperia Play, and DX2 are coming soon anyway. Just wait a little longer. Im using a D1 also.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
how do u know the date of death for droid x is 3.31.11???

I have a blackberry storm and I can't take it any longer. I was all set to go buy an X tonight until I read that. I just don't want to buy the DX then be in the position I am in now with the storm, hate it because something better will be out in six months and I should have waited, but be stuck with it for another contract.

jodyberry

Reaction score
I'll throw my hat in the ring here:

I've also been waiting for the TB but got frustrated and bought a new Droid X from Craigslist. I went from a Droid 1 and this is a nice step up.

Here's my reasoning: I can upgrade early with VZW but if I got an X from them, I'm stuck for another 2 years. This way, I have a phone I like AND I don't mess up my contract!
Plus, when I decide what new contract phone I REALLY want (TB, Bionic, whatever) I can just sell my X for the same if not more than what I paid, and get a new phone.

By then, the bugs should be worked out of the new phones and possibly a price drop.

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
I am totally happy with my DX.. I have not heard of any shelf life for the DX being discontinued as of yet. quite honestly, my gen 1 droid was left for dead a long time ago by VZ, but I root so anytime there is an update the awesome devs who make these great roms will keep us up to date. I was running gingerbread on my droid without an issue. now i've got Liberty on my new DX and I couldn't be happier. Even before I rooted I was quite happy with the performance of the device.

Waiting for the next great phone seems pointless anymore, every 6 months there is a new one and by then the thunderbolt and everything else will be old news. considering the processor, ram, and all the memory the DX has I'm quite content with this new beast.

Reaction score
as someone who is only going to use a smartphone for basic purposes, play with some apps, email internet, etc, these updates probably won't matter to me will they? I have an LG Dare, so this will be my first smartphone, I have no plans to be so advanced with the phone as most are on here seeing as I have no clue what half the stuff you guys talk about are, I don't even know what motoblur is probably don't care...

so would it still be fine to get a X instead of waiting forever for the tbolt? (I don't live in a 4G area)

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
Well sure it's fine to get an X... the Droid X is hardly outdated and as of now is still one of the top phones on the market. It's performance is second to none and just because it's technically 6 months old or so by "smart phone technology" standards, doesn't mean it won't work by some magic end all be all date. I use my phone for similar purposes as you, plus I can run my website right from the phone using the net and various apps. The droid 1 was great for me for a long time, but I was ready for an upgrade and the I really liked everything about the X.

Whether u just stay stock or root and get all "techy", you'll be quite happy with the X..I know I am. :)

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
Sorry, but its a little late to get s DX. I believe that the date of death for the X is 3.31.11 (meaning it will get no mor updates and VZ will basically forget about it), less than a month away. The Thunderbolt, Inc S, Xperia Play, and DX2 are coming soon anyway. Just wait a little longer. Im using a D1 also.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with your statement. From all the rumors I have read they all strongly suggest that the X will get another update such as gingerbread and will not just be "forgotten about" like you say. Anybody who would be scared away from purchasing this phone from reading statements like yours just remember this, when it comes to smartphones if you are always waiting for the latest and greatest technology, you will always have nothing. With that said just buy a phone that you like and that suits your specific needs and don't worry about what other people say about it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dirtyfingers

Reaction score

how do u know the date of death for droid x is 3.31.11???

I have a blackberry storm and I can't take it any longer. I was all set to go buy an X tonight until I read that. I just don't want to buy the DX then be in the position I am in now with the storm, hate it because something better will be out in six months and I should have waited, but be stuck with it for another contract.

No matter what phone you buy something better will ALWAYS be out in 6 months.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Chillout

Chillout

Reaction score
And the moral of the story is... buy what you want, don't worry about the latest and greatest. If a phone suits your needs then get it and be happy. Unless you have an endless budget with the ability to buy a new phone every 6 months, then do what the rest of the world does and just get the phone you like and enjoy it for as long as you want. :)

jodyberry

Reaction score
Well said!!

And the moral of the story is... buy what you want, don't worry about the latest and greatest. If a phone suits your needs then get it and be happy. Unless you have an endless budget with the ability to buy a new phone every 6 months, then do what the rest of the world does and just get the phone you like and enjoy it for as long as you want. :)

Slighter

Reaction score
Okay the replacement droid started flipping out
wouldn't take a charge blah blah blah
New recruit Droid X Army
HooRah!

zodder

Reaction score
You won't. It's a great phone and highly customizable. You can't beat the 4.3" screen either. :)

rissman1275

Reaction score
I got a new DX on ebay about 2 weeks ago for $280. I saw one go for $247. If you aim for an auction that ends early morning you can get one for less than $300 off contract and keep your upgrade. I love the X, considered the Thunderbolt but ultimately decided that I really want dual core. So ebay and craigslist are good options.

So I just bid for one on Ebay, if I win this bad boy do I just take it to VZ to get activated, or is that something I have to look up how to do on this site?

Reaction score
went in today and bought the X, it's a little bigger than I thought with the carrying case on it, seems it might make texting a bit harder, but I think I can I just get used to it, lovin it so far, this is my first smartphone, so it's taking a lot to get used to, and trying to figure out how everything works