Current Verizon Subscribers Get To Keep Their Unlimited Data Plan Afterall?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

verizon-existing1.jpg

If you want to get in with Verizon’s current data plans but aren’t a current smartphone subscriber, you better hurry up an get with the program before the rumored July 7th change to tiered opricing. The date isn’t certain, but a Verizon spokesperson has confirmed that the new data plans uncovered yesterday will indeed go into effect this summer. If you are a current subscriber, you may be in luck, however, as DroidLife has uncovered some info that suggests your old data plan (unlimited data included) will be grandfathered in past the cut-off date. What’s more, those same data plans should even live on through contract renewals and upgrades for as long as you are a Verizon subscriber.

The writing is on the wall, but take it as a rumor for now. We won’t know exactly how Verizon’s new data plans will shake out until they become official.

Source: Droid -Life

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Good choice verizon on choosing to let us keep are contracts after upgrading are devices I just feel bad for new customers ...oh well to bad so sad I have my unlimited data

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please let this be for feature phones. Verizon's website doesn't seem to differentiate between smartphone data and featurephone data when it comes to the unlimited plan so I hope I can just get data now and get a smartphone later.

Beardface

Reaction score
I've actually been hearing the same from people who would know...

As long as you have unlimited data, you will continue to have unlimited data every time you renew your plan until you die.

Well, that is, until 5G comes out and people clamor to get onboard with that...

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
For all those who didn't believe me when the debate about being grandfathered in was in question, I TOLD YOU SO! It would have been out of character for Verizon to make current subscribers switch to tier plans, unless they are altering the current data plan themselves.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^lol

I remember seeing this info already tho. I thought it was in that same thread. I must've been at Droid Life and forgot I was there.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Hope this is true! I want to upgrade soon but it wasn't likely going to be before July 7th.

fox_91

Reaction score
So, I will probably just call and ask, but maybe someone has already asked.

I have a OG Droid that I got on a 1 yr contract which has ended back in 2010. I am currently going month to month on the contract that ended back in 2010. I am trying to get a straight answer on if I have to run out and get a Thunderbolt or some other 4g phone before 7/7.

I know 3 and 4g are the same data plan, but I don't want to wait and then get screwed on the data package if I don't get a new phone prior to 7/7. So Do I need to get on a contract or will my month-month OG droid still qualify for unlimited data if I say got a phone on 7/8?

bloodhawke83

Reaction score
so next year i'll be able to upgrade from OG droid 3d to some other android phone with 4g and keep the unlimited data plan?

ajk23az

Reaction score
I talked to a Verizon rep a week ago and she told me the tiered pricing was coming out soon, wasn't sure when though, and it did.

She also told me that people with the unlimited data will be grandfathered in.

She also told me that whenever you upgrade to your next phone, you will have to switch to the tiered data pricing. Which sucks...

Nick D

Reaction score
I talked to a Verizon rep a week ago and she told me the tiered pricing was coming out soon, wasn't sure when though, and it did.

She also told me that whenever you upgrade to your next phone, you will have to switch to the tiered data pricing. Which sucks...

Based on that then I truly am not grandfathered in. If that is the case then I will keep my OG1 running as long as I can. Unfortunately I can't upgrade until August. We shall see.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

ajk23az

Reaction score

Based on that then I truly am not grandfathered in. If that is the case then I will keep my OG1 running as long as I can. Unfortunately I can't upgrade until August. We shall see.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Correct.

I brought my father in to switch him to a smartphone and she said as long as he stayed on that one, he would be able to keep the unlimited data @ $29.99/month, but when he wanted to upgrade he would have to switch to the tiered pricing.