[Follow-Up] Online Petition to Stop Verizon From Killing Unlimited Data

MJHavertape

Reaction score
Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

This may not be an option for some, but I have the best solution for myself. After eight years of being robbed, I am switching from Verizon to Straight Talk International. I have the phone required and for Sixty dollars a month, I get unlimited talk, text, data and basically free international calls. I have many associates in China and India. This will be perfect. To coin another phrase, "If a dog bites you once, it is the dogs fault. If a dog bites you twice it is your fault". "Once bit and twice shy!!"

suzuki98

Reaction score
Verizon is already making so much dough for phone service and now they want to take something away for good paying customers that's been around and "grandfathered" until now? This is unbelievable and I will be dropping Verizon for their love of money and the hefty
bonus the idiot will get for this "screw the little guy decision. "

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
No, I brought my Rezound from an eBay member that to my luck lived in the same town, we met up at a Verizon corporate store did the sale and had my Rezound activated by a Verizon employee in the corporate store, no questions asked, my plan continued as it was with my previous Incredible "unlimited data plan".
Let's make things a little clear here, if YOU PURCHASE THE PHONE FROM ANYONE AT ANY PRICE YOU WILL KEEP YOUR UNLIMITED DATA, once you purchase the phone from Verizon, Amazon, Radio Shack or any other authorized Verizon reseller WITH A NEW TWO YEAR CONTRACT "at a discounted price",the reason for the discounted price is that you are signing up again for a two year contract with the carrier. My contract has expired and I am now on a month to month basis, and still have unlimited data, as long as you don't change your plan you will stay on unlimited data unless Verizon says otherwise, which one year from now might change. Hope this helped.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Droid Forums

Well, I know that's the case right now(I have like 4 or 5 different phones), but I wasn't sure if that would change once this plan comes together. But now I have a new question.

What happens if I just renew my contract but keep the phone I have? Or do I simply just keep paying monthly?

droidly

Reaction score
I've been curious about how many people actually pay $80/mo for the 10 GB plan. When tiered pricing was introduced [I knew it was coming but] I was surprised at how small the data sizes for the tiers were. I can't figure out how I could justify paying for any tier except the lowest and that's because I typically use about 2gb in a month with my D1. [A $30 2gb plan isn't really a change.] If you're using 4G alot you're likely using a lot more than 10gb/mo, right? Who sees a value in 10gb for $80? Someone out there must be paying the $80.

btw, I rather wish there was a "Google Services" plan that only provides for maps, google voice, gmail (and maybe pop based email) and whatever other google service I'm forgetting. That would cover 90% of what I use my phone for.

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
BenLand150 said:
Well, I know that's the case right now(I have like 4 or 5 different phones), but I wasn't sure if that would change once this plan comes together. But now I have a new question.

What happens if I just renew my contract but keep the phone I have? Or do I simply just keep paying monthly?

There is no such thing as renewing a current plan with the same device.

mikecox

Reaction score
Does anyone really believe that Verizon is the only provider who plans to discontinue unlimited data plans? There are limited resources and increased speed and usage; especially from the folks who like to stream movies, etc. I'm sure Sprint, AT&T and T-moble will follow Verizon's example very soon.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
mustangdroid said:
If they remove my unlimited data I will cancel my contract and say hello to straight talk. $45 a month for everything unlimited, you cant beat that.

Of course you will:)

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
There is no such thing as renewing a current plan with the same device.

That's what I thought. So does it just keep going on then? Because my parents have had their phones past two years without upgrading.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. So does it just keep going on then? Because my parents have had their phones past two years without upgrading.

You go on a month-to-month contract. If Verizon changes their terms, you automatically agree to them if you continue service.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
You go on a month-to-month contract. If Verizon changes their terms, you automatically agree to them if you continue service.

Gotcha. Well I'm still on contract, so I don't care haha. They still have "dumb" phones anyway.

ron95020

Reaction score
HELLO SPRINT. Same service as far as I can see. 4 phones one ipad, all going to Sprint all unlimited. 24 year customer. They want my unlimited service, Ill give my $400 plus a month business to Sprint with no problem, I am sure they could use it.

jayman350

Reaction score

that is VERY interesting, I was under the assumption that you would continue on your current contract terms until you upgraded or terminated your service. I am seriously considering going elsewhere if/when unlimited data is not an option. I'm willing to pay retail for a new phone if I can continue to use it on my unlimited plan without renewing my contract.

jayman350

Reaction score
Gotcha. Well I'm still on contract, so I don't care haha. They still have "dumb" phones anyway.

I have considered going back to a dumbphone if I buy a tablet with a decent data package. I'm thinking a Nexus tablet will be a nice upgrade from my Kindle Fire, which is actually a very nice little piece of hardware once you tweak it a little. I hardly ever play games on my phone since I got the KF and the screen is so much easier to watch stuff on than it is on my Bionic.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
that is VERY interesting, I was under the assumption that you would continue on your current contract terms until you upgraded or terminated your service. I am seriously considering going elsewhere if/when unlimited data is not an option. I'm willing to pay retail for a new phone if I can continue to use it on my unlimited plan without renewing my contract.

Let me clarify. It doesn't mean that Verizon WILL change the terms of service, but they reserve the right to do so. Since your contract with them is up, you are no longer locked into the rate or plan.

IN AWE

Reaction score
This petition sure seems to have hit a wall. Got a long way to go.