[Follow-Up] Online Petition to Stop Verizon From Killing Unlimited Data

droidly

Reaction score
I have considered going back to a dumbphone if I buy a tablet with a decent data package. ...
The problem being syncing contacts with the google and it's sundry services (things like calling a person from a sms message). I too would be up for a 6" or 7" tablet with a "dumb phone". The Motorola remote handpiece is even a little intriguing as a side piece.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Big deal. When you decide to upgrade, you just buy a 6-mo old phone off EBAY for about the same price you'd get a new one subsidized thru VZW. Then you'll know which phones are good and have been rooted/unlocked.

My Rezound is so rock-solid that a marginal upgrade wouldn't even entice me to shell out the subsidy price. Only a 3-in-1 deal like the Asus (with the horsepower to really do something) would make me upgrade at this point. A phone with 2gigs of ram and quad-core is only interesting if it can dual boot windows (or lets see what MS has planned for phones and tablets as far as Office). In other words, my next upgrade will be something that can run a full Office suite, and files with some "meat" on them, not just some minor editing of something a child could throw together.

Alternatively, when Chrome OS and Android merge, that could be interesting.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Big deal. When you decide to upgrade, you just buy a 6-mo old phone off EBAY for about the same price you'd get a new one subsidized thru VZW. Then you'll know which phones are good and have been rooted/unlocked.

But how long will that keep you on unlimited data? Once your contract runs out, Verizon doesn't HAVE to honor what's stated in your contract anymore. They could push you off unlimited data at any point in time. The fact that VZ is even allowing you to remain grandfathered by buying full retail is actually kind of generous (I know, I know, I didn't think I could use VZ and generous in the same sentence either).

leewebb

Reaction score
Ypu will loss this customer after 20 plus years:icon_ devil:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
But how long will that keep you on unlimited data? Once your contract runs out, Verizon doesn't HAVE to honor what's stated in your contract anymore. They could push you off unlimited data at any point in time. The fact that VZ is even allowing you to remain grandfathered by buying full retail is actually kind of generous (I know, I know, I didn't think I could use VZ and generous in the same sentence either).

I am on a month to month billing plan, my contract expired, and I am still on unlimited data, as long as I keep paying the bill and don't change my plan I am good to go.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Droid Forums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Why worry about what I can't control? And I only average about 1gig/mo, anyway.

But I think it's very telling that instead of eliminating unlimited all together, they're just (supposedly) taking away the new subsidized phone. And that's consistent with other actions they've taken on the subsidy front. If their intent or plan is to eliminate unlimited all together, why not just do it? Instead they appear to be giving customers some options.

I also don't think the subsidy is a done deal. The other shoe to drop will not be the online petition from Droidforums and XDA, but pushback from OEM's who will see a more than trivial impact on their sales.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am on a month to month billing plan, my contract expired, and I am still on unlimited data, as long as I keep paying the bill and don't change my plan I am good to go.

Unfortunately that's probably not how it will work forever. You're locked in now because Verizon hasn't gone to tiered, you haven't upgraded, and they are still honoring unlimited plans.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Yes, I kind of think you will be in a MORE vulnerable position by going month to month...you won't be under any contract, and Verizon could, theoretically, change your data plan at any time. No contract means they will have less impetus to change, true, but it also leaves you unprotected in case they do.

The real thing is...no one knows yet.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You know, I don't see how they could last very long at the tiered rates for the data - at the costs they are quoting now. Every day, the phones are more and more dependent on data for everything they do, every day the world is pushing us more and more into data over the WWW, and even Audio and Video entertainment is moving toward the time when it's the only method of delivery. They will be forced to push down pricing or push up the limits at the same pricing eventually.

Volume is the key to reduced costs, so I think it's inevitable that the cost per GB (which has been going down in every other realm) will have to come down in the wireless data communication world as well. Finally, the push to VOLTE (Voice over LTE) is coming and once the 3G switch is thrown into the down position, it goes away forever leaving DATA as the ONLY method of communication whereas now, at least Voice communication is a time-parsed product.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
Unfortunately that's probably not how it will work forever. You're locked in now because Verizon hasn't gone to tiered, you haven't upgraded, and they are still honoring unlimited plans.

No plan to upgrade, will purchase next device also, which will keep me on unlimited.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
No plan to upgrade, will purchase next device also, which will keep me on unlimited.

Yes...for now. You think that's how it will work forever? I have my doubts.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Just look at how unlimited global data ended. Could very easily be the same for domestic data.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
Yes...for now. You think that's how it will work forever? I have my doubts.

If it ends it ends, nothing anyone can do about it. Not concerned though, as I never have gone past 2 Gigs a month for the last two years.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Volume is the key to reduced costs, so I think it's inevitable that the cost per GB (which has been going down in every other realm) will have to come down in the wireless data communication world as well. Finally, the push to VOLTE (Voice over LTE) is coming and once the 3G switch is thrown into the down position, it goes away forever leaving DATA as the ONLY method of communication whereas now, at least Voice communication is a time-parsed product.

Could be why the carriers are BEGGING for more spectrum. I didn't even think about the load VoLTE might add to the network.

Something else to consider - they mostly don't even own the pipes. If they were paying $3.20 per access point (customer) to the cable companies for the pipes @ 500megs/mo for the average user, then it stands to reason a doubling or tripling of average use is going to have those fees going up. Nor are the cable companies stupid - if people are paying for lower tiers of home broadband service, or cutting the cord all together, because of LTE smartphone then the cable companies are going to recover those lost revenues by charging VZW higher access fees.