Verizon 4G LTE Unlimited Data Customers Can Get Separate $30 Unlimited Tethering

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon-Logo-3.jpg

Droid-Life has received word from Verizon regarding tethering plans after their plans switch on July 7th. Here's a direct quote from the Droid-Life article,
All current customers with 4G LTE devices that will be grandfathered in to unlimited data plans, will have a separate $30 per month unlimited tethering option starting July 7th.
Apparently, around the 7th, an automatic update will be pushed out to several phones including the Motorola Droid Charge, the HTC Thunderbolt and the LG Revolution that will cut-off their current tethering service, and ask you to purchase the new plan. If you are not grand-fathered in, VZW's $20 2GB tier will be available to new 4G LTE customers that sign up after the 6th.

Although this plan is a bit pricey, and paid data tethering is a contentious issue, it's still nice to see that Big Red is offering an unlimited option for some. What do you think?

Source: Droid-Life

dzone67

Reaction score
Were not forced to buy the tethering feature though right?

Loud roared the dreadful Thunder!!!!!

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So If I go buy a LTE device tomorrow, and have unlimited data, I will be grandfathered in to unlimited LTE service to my device? No tethering of course.

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Won't let me edit my post....no u will not be forced to buy it. And yes u should already be grandfathered in

Other post was misleading lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Will rooted devices get this update too?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
This issue kinda pisses me off. You're using one connection, who cares if it shared with your own stuff? They want to double charge us for the same band with.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put much faith in unlimited tethering... Verizon already lied about unlimited data usage that's not truly unlimited.

sent from my ApeX

donzz

Reaction score
I don't know why Verizon just doesn't put a 5 or 10 gb cap on for everybody and call it good?

jseah

Reaction score
What's confusing is that the way I read it, you must have a 4G phone before July 7th in order to get the unlimited tethering package beginning July 7th. For anyone getting a 4G phone on July 7th or later, you can only get the $20 2GB tethering package. The way others are interpreting it, as long as you have the unlimited data package on a 4G phone, then you can get unlimited tethering for $30. Only those on tiered data packages have to get the tiered tethering.

papapena25

Reaction score
I have a droid x with unlimited data and also $20 moble hot spot. That sucks you have to have a 4g phone?!?! I think if your a current unlimited data customer no mater what kinda smart phone should be grandfatherd in. verizon doesn't even have a phone worth switching to from a droid x that has 4g. Sucks!!! SO now because i'm waiting for the droid bionic or samsung galaxy s2, I can only be grandfatherd in for the unlinited data plan and not unlimited tether. I sure hope there is away to get free tethering when I do get my new phone. these limited tethering and data plans remind me AOL when it first came out!!! I sure hope our highspeed internet service for our homes don't pull this crap.

Sorry, just wanted to get this off my chest.

soops

Reaction score
What's confusing is that the way I read it, you must have a 4G phone before July 7th in order to get the unlimited tethering package beginning July 7th. For anyone getting a 4G phone on July 7th or later, you can only get the $20 2GB tethering package.

^This - as an option you can pay an additional $30/mo for unlimited tethering.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
This issue kinda pisses me off. You're using one connection, who cares if it shared with your own stuff? They want to double charge us for the same band with.

Out of all the things about tethering, and this is a hot topic...lol, I agree with this.

Why not just charge a lil more, not double if they wanna charge you...