Changes Coming to Verizon's EDGE and MORE Everything Plans!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I "jumped" back in May. Their reputation here was horrid so I went into their store and told the guy "I don't care what your map says, in used to Verizon map showing I have great coverage but the real world results are craptacular". He sold me a SIM card to use in my Verizon Note2, I went home (where Verizon is non existent in spite of map saying it's stellar) had great usage on the Note2, went back and did a Jump on a G2. He gave me 14 days to try or return with no restock fee on phone and SIM card. I have yet to find a place that T-Mobile doesn't have reception that Verizon does in my world.
To me the changes show Verizon still isn't paying attention to T-Mobile but is paying attention to AT&T, that is making changes based on their huge improvement to their network in the last year and T-Mobile policies .

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Of course Verizon is paying attention to AT&T, they are their biggest competitor. T-mobile is nothing but a glitch on their radar

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

realged13

Reaction score
I've been holding out for the Turbo. I am stuck using my phone until September of 2015. So the edge plan is all I got. I tend to hold onto phones as long as possible, so not as big of a deal to me. The smaller payments would actually be nice.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here some math I just did .. Say turbo is 700.00
75%525

What will that phone be worth in a year? My thinking is more than 175.00 so if you want to edge up in a year you are best off to pay for the whole device and then sell it.. You always have the option to pay it off.. Just my thoughts. I am not a big fan of renting your phones.. I do edge on a couple of my lines for the more data you get ( 6gig vs 2gig) on my old Verizon line .. But I will pay them off and keep or sell them when its time.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does this change the current single line plan at $60? I'm on it, and it was just introduced like two months ago.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess what I am trying to say at 50% it makes some sense to trade in device at 75% it does not

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Does this change the current single line plan at $60? I'm on it, and it was just introduced like two months ago.

No, you are grandfathered into that promo plan. But if you ever leave it, you will be unable to get it back

realged13

Reaction score
I don't have the money to buy a phone straight up right now. I am stuck with my OG Razr Maxx until September 2015.

I used to be on my parents plans. I used my moms upgrade to get it. Then she in return used my later, to get hers. Then I got married and moved off of their plan and got one for ourselves. So when I moved to a new account, my upgrade date for my phone number got transferred with it. Verizon said they couldn't do anything about it.

So I am stuck with the OG Razr Maxx for almost 3 1/2 years until my "phone number" update is available (Sep 2015). So if anyone knows of any way besides the edge to get out of this let me know. If not, it is the only option I have. My maxx is on its last legs.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I cannot imagine they are doing this simply because of the Turbo. Working in the industry, I imagine it is because AT&T's most popular Next plan is the 18 month upgrade/24 month installment.
Keep in mind that you can always pay the 6 months of installments at month 12 so that you can trade in the device for a new one.
These changes to Edge are something that those of us who sell Verizon have been asking for for months, ever since they first changed the plan to 20 months. Edge was a more difficult sell because of the higher installments; people just didn't see the savings.

I don't doubt you're right, but it is awfully strange and highly coincidental that its two weeks before the flagship phone is being introduced. Frankly if it's not as a result of that I'd still like to imply that it is in the hopes it to reconsider. If we don't complain when they make changes because we don't like them, they won't reconsider and he won't retract. Obviously the FCC have a lot to do with the last pull back, but hopefully we had some input and influence as well. Let's hope that my call and a cause of others like me as well as a petition might ultimately have similar impact.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Didn't it used to be that a 1GB data overage was $10? Now it's $15 for half?

soulpatch

Reaction score
I don't doubt you're right, but it is awfully strange and highly coincidental that its two weeks before the flagship phone is being introduced.

A new flagship phone comes out weekly it seems. The Note 4 this week, droid turbo upcoming, the nexus, the new LG eventually, ect. It just so happens that the phone you are interested in is right after the switch.

Yes I would have liked it to stay at 12 months for the renewal but can deal with an extra six months or simply pay off the phone, sell it, and move on as I see fit within the 12 months. So far as I know (and please correct me if I am wrong) if I pay off the phone early I can upgrade whenever it is paid or up to the 75%.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, you are grandfathered into that promo plan. But if you ever leave it, you will be unable to get it back

I know that, but I was curious whether the individual plans are being thrown out completely, which IMO, is a terrible idea.

Honestly, I can't wait to move this winter where I'll have Sprint coverage. Their coverage may not be great, but when I'm looking forward to it, you can only imagine how fed up with Verizon I have become.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
A new flagship phone comes out weekly it seems. The Note 4 this week, droid turbo upcoming, the nexus, the new LG eventually, ect. It just so happens that the phone you are interested in is right after the switch.

Yes I would have liked it to stay at 12 months for the renewal but can deal with an extra six months or simply pay off the phone, sell it, and move on as I see fit within the 12 months. So far as I know (and please correct me if I am wrong) if I pay off the phone early I can upgrade whenever it is paid or up to the 75%.
I hear what you're saying and it does sound like sour grapes but I don't mean for it to. On the other hand I don't agree that new flagship phones come out every week. Yes, several new phones have been anounced over the past few weeks and there are set to be several more in the coming few weeks, but there is one time each year where the bulk of new phones is anounced and it's at this time of year same as it was last time last year and the time before that the year before etc.

So although it seems highly suspicious and potentially implies strategic move in regard to when this was announced, it is immediately before the announcement of the three biggest phones of the season for Verizon in 2014, those being the Droid turbo, the Nexus 6, and the Nexus 9 tablet.

As for paying it off at 12 months to 75%, sure that works fine for people who can afford to pay $190 to pay it off at that time. Unfortunately I'm not one that is rolling in that kind of money and so for me and a lot of other people like me who still like to take advantage of upgrades on an annual basis this puts us at a six-month disadvantage instantly.

Also, is it really worth it to pay it off and then sell it outright? You're talking about having reached 50% of cost at 12 months which would be we'll say $350. So to buy the phone outright at the end of 12 months you're going to have to put out another $350, and then sell the phone on the open market and hope to recover at least $350. What's the sense in that? Because then you're going to be forced into the new edge plan for the next phone and obviously it would be at these new longer terms which I'm not all that pleased with it.

Last edited:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I know that, but I was curious whether the individual plans are being thrown out completely, which IMO, is a terrible idea.

Honestly, I can't wait to move this winter where I'll have Sprint coverage. Their coverage may not be great, but when I'm looking forward to it, you can only imagine how fed up with Verizon I have become.

No, they change them every few months. Before the current $60 2GB plan it was 1GB, and 2GB was $75. Which is what they are going back to tomorrow

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Didn't it used to be that a 1GB data overage was $10? Now it's $15 for half?

On the old non-share plans it is $10/gb overage. 2gb and up have a $15 fee for 1GB overage. 500mb and 1gb are $15 for 500mb overage.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course Verizon is paying attention to AT&T, they are their biggest competitor. T-mobile is nothing but a glitch on their radar

Verizon will fall 1 paper cut at a time with that attitude.
I was with them 21 years, took 4 lines with me.
I totally understand your frustration with Verizon. Heck, I'm still getting bills from them, for $0 stating the account is closed, and they have no clue why. As I said before I left back in May.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Last edited: