Verizon is Planning to Reduce MORE Everything Plans by $10 on Thursday (Adding More Options Too)

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ever hear of something called MHL?

For $5, I have a cable that lets me connect my TV to my phone, and power it at the same time so the battery doesn't run flat. Netflix, just to use your example, uses up to 3gb/hour for high-definition video.

I don't have a 9-5 job; I'm an author. I spend all day staring at a computer screen, typing things. I live in an area where I have two choices for TV; OTA or satellite. I have two choices for internet that's not metered by the gigabyte; satellite (which is getting as bad as fixed wireless, or 3/4G "hotspots") or dialup. So I stream a lot of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and XBMC videos.

So, let's see here. 6 hours a day (conservative) times 3GB/hour equals 18GB/day. All legitimate, approved, appropriate uses for my unlimited internet, using a piece of technology that cost me about $5 on eBay and something baked into my phone and approved by Verizon.

VZW wants to charge by the gigabyte because they see it as a revenue stream, nothing more. I happen to have something that I'm taking advantage of. If I had other choices I would exercise them. Now, I've answered your question and accusation. This is a subject that has been debated ad nauseum everywhere on the internet where Verizon, AT&T, or any other telecom who limits your data use has reared their greedy head. Let's call the matter settled before the thread has to be closed down, alright? I appreciate your restraint and understanding in this matter. :)
So you and many like you are the reason Verizon is trying to get rid and eventually will get rid of Unlimited data plans, the ones that still exist, you know that if you read your agreement, there is nothing in it that states that you can use it as a substitute for home internet, that's where most of the abusers seem to get it wrong, you know you are abusing it, but like a drug addict have a perfect made up excuse for it.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't get why it bothers people so much. Everyone's usage varies. Just because you don't use as much data as the next guy doesn't mean they need to limit their usage. This is my usage 2 weeks in. Usually Netflix is way up there and Slacker & Pandora as well, but it varies each month.
DIiyPdT.png

Verizon wants to make more money, it's as simple as that. I for one intend to use the hell out of my unlimited while I still have it. If it goes away it goes away, but I refuse to apologize for my usage just because someone else thinks I should only be using 5 gig a month. I have no problem paying full retail for my devices so I can keep my unlimited.
Just my 2 cents of course.

S5 tap'n
It's because of people like you that Unlimited is going away like the dodo bird.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The unlimited debate has been debated at nauseam forever.
Let's get back on topic here and not have this turn into yet another debate on the meaning of unlimited and what's an acceptable limit and the reason unlimited has gone away for most of us. Truth be told unlimited went away because they could. The reason they decided to will be debated for eternity so let's not go there please.
Thank you

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Seconding @mountainbikermark

Now back on topic....

My bill on the grandfathered Nationwide Calling Plan is $194 per month for three smart phones, unlimited data on two lines, 2GB on one, friends and family for 10 numbers free, 1,400 shared voice minutes per month, 250 messages per month on one line. I asked them for a comparison quote to the More Everything plan... Here's what they came up with. $360 per month. 80% more than I'm paying now.

I'm glad to see they're reducing costs on that plan but it's not enough by far from my perspective. They could reduce the costs more if they added roll over data, then people could choose lower data allowances and let the unused data accumulate for the higher usage months but that's the only way I can see it improving.

I would give serious consideration to moving away from my plan if it were cost effective but as it is, I only use so much voice communication per month and it's consistent whereas my data usage is all over the charts from less than 3GB one month to as much as nearly 30GB in another. The More Everything plan wouldn't work for me for just that reason.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Seconding @mountainbikermark

Now back on topic....

My bill on the grandfathered Nationwide Calling Plan is $194 per month for three smart phones, unlimited data on two lines, 2GB on one, friends and family for 10 numbers free, 1,400 shared voice minutes per month, 250 messages per month on one line. I asked them for a comparison quote to the More Everything plan... Here's what they came up with. $360 per month. 80% more than I'm paying now.

I'm glad to see they're reducing costs on that plan but it's not enough by far from my perspective. They could reduce the costs more if they added roll over data, then people could choose lower data allowances and let the unused data accumulate for the higher usage months but that's the only way I can see it improving.

I would give serious consideration to moving away from my plan if it were cost effective but as it is, I only use so much voice communication per month and it's consistent whereas my data usage is all over the charts from less than 3GB one month to as much as nearly 30GB in another. The More Everything plan wouldn't work for me for just that reason.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.
I only dropped my unlimited data because I was only using 2GB or less each month & the 2GB plan was the same price I was paying for unlimited at the time, but would allow me to get on the Edge plan &/or get a phone at the subsidized price.

Had my usage been more than 2GB, I would've held out, so I get where you're coming from.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
FoxKat, what data plan were they quoting you?! You would be at $145 for service with the Edge plan, with 10gb data.
Pretty sure we've been through this before though :)

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes Jackie, we've been through this before. What's different now is I don't have Edge any longer and wouldn't need it because all the phones are updated. Two Droid MAXXs and one Turbo. Don't need any upgrades, paid off the old Edge. Bought the Turbo off-contract.

So it would be $40/mo * 3, plus $130/mo for 16GB.
Sure, and hey...I'm not using that elevated data amount every month.

usage.jpg

Still, I'd have to at least keep 10GB as my plan for $100 per month, and even if I did I'd get whacked on the price if I hit another month like September. If I carried 16GB under the new pricing, I'd be paying another $130 per month. At 10GB/month I'm looking at no less than $220 and at 16GB no less than $250...

Voice.jpg
Data.jpg

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
FYI, "if" you did go to the plan at some point, and were out of contract, you can call and get the line access discount.
Some of you can thank me later for that little known tip ;-) lol

Sent from my Note 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
FYI, "if" you did go to the plan at some point, and were out of contract, you can call and get the line access discount.
Some of you can thank me later for that little known tip ;-) lol

Sent from my Note 4
Line access discount?? Pray tell.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Found the original pricing for my plan...

NationwideFamilyShare2.jpg
NationwideFamilyShare.jpg

So for me, this was the Nationwide "Talk" Family Share Plan (center line immediately above). The plan was $89.99 per month for 2 phones on the 1400 minute family plan with 10 Friends and Family numbers free, then $29.99 each per month for Unlimited data on those two phones, and then $9.99 per month for the third line, and finally $29.99 for the recent upgrade to give my son 4G and my old Maxx. $89.99+$29.99+$29.00+$9.99+$29.99=$188.96.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Another interesting find.

Check this out. It really kind of smacks in the face of those who are saying Verizon is trying to get rid of Unlimited Data. In this advertisement they were promoting locking it in before the plan changes. Looks to me like they were trying to get as many to commit as possible. Why else advertise a "Last Chance"?

For anyone who doesn't know, Unlimited Data was eliminated from pricing plans starting on 7/7/2011.

wpid-1309280256881.jpg

greyshark

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Line access discount?? Pray tell.

For each line that you fulfilled your contractual obligations on (paid off Edge or 2 year contract from subsidized phone) you qualify for a month to month discount. For any plan above 10 GB (although I believe it's only 6 GB under their new pricing plans) that discount is $25 per line. So for your above example, 3 lines + 16 GB of data would cost you $175 ($130 data, $15/3 lines). 10 GB of data would cost you only $145.

You don't even need to call to get the discount, you can log in to your online account and select the "feature" there.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
For each line that you fulfilled your contractual obligations on (paid off Edge or 2 year contract from subsidized phone) you qualify for a month to month discount. For any plan above 10 GB (although I believe it's only 6 GB under their new pricing plans) that discount is $25 per line. So for your above example, 3 lines + 16 GB of data would cost you $175 ($130 data, $15/3 lines). 10 GB of data would cost you only $145.

You don't even need to call to get the discount, you can log in to your online account and select the "feature" there.

Yep. The reason why there's a discount with Edge is that you're not subsidizing the cost of a phone with your plan each month. After you've fulfilled the installments for the phone on Edge, you're still not subsidizing the phone with your plan, so there's a discount.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is JUST for the More Everything plan, correct? IOW, it won't work with my Nationwide plan and the Edge which I just paid off, will it?

greyshark

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
This is JUST for the More Everything plan, correct? IOW, it won't work with my Nationwide plan and the Edge which I just paid off, will it?

I believe it's just for the More Everything Plan - but at least for me the $25/line access discount was too good to pass up. It was what prompted me to give up unlimited data (although my usage is not as high as yours).