Verizon Comes Up With Crafty New Way to Entice Folks Out of Unlimited Plans

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-max-plan-leak.jpg

According to a leaked pic, those clever execs at Verizon have devised an enticing new plan to trick customers into giving up their Unlimited Data Plans. It's called the Verizon Max Plan and it is a variation of the Verizon Edge plans. In this new Verizon Max Plan, Big Red is basically luring ingot a new Edge plan by offering a one-time upgrade with exclusive data tiers with big discounts compared to the plans of new and recurring customers.

This new plan is basically $30 a month for 6GB of data, or $50 a month for 8GB, and it gives you tethering for other devices. However, sharing plans are not an option with Verizon Max, as it can only be applied to one line at a time. At a precursory glance this seems like a decent deal, but there is more than meets the eye. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Compared to Verizon's regular data tiers it's a decent deal, assuming that you don't use too many voice minutes or text messages on the old policies. (The cheapest "Share Everything" plan is unlimited voice and text plus 500MB of shared data for $40 a month. 6GB of data is a whopping $80.) I can see how someone who really wants a new device at a cheap price might be tempted.

But those customers who are still on unlimited accounts are paying $30 a month for all-you-can-eat data, plus a minimum of $40 for the cheapest voice-only plan. So if an unlimited data customer wants to switch to Verizon Edge, at the bare minimum they're replacing limitless data with 6GB, making the cheapest available plan the same price. Tethering on the old unlimited plan is another $30 a month (it's free on the Share Everything plans), so the $50 8GB+tethering tier saves a bit of money, assuming that you never go over that limit and get another $10 charge.

That's $10 for every gigabyte. So if you're in the habit of using 10GB of data between your phone and your tethered tablet, it will cost you at least $70 a month, plus whatever you pay for voice and text. If you use 20GB, which is not unheard of, the price jumps to $170 a month plus voice and text, a $210 minimum.

Ultimately, when you drill down into the layers, this is just a shell game designed to part users with their Unlimited Plans. If you have an Unlimited Plan and use heavy tethering, you will likely be going way over the limits on these plans which will end up being much more expensive in the long run. Even the marketing overview in the pic above seems like a bunch of fluffy PR-speak.

Share what you think of VZW's latest creative customer option in the thread.

Source: AndroidPolice

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
We ain't biting ...it makes no sense if you have unlimited and use data ..let me see you give me more data that current customers get but I'm still paying more for using phone...I get a chance to join your new Edge plan which is a ripoff ..pay 50% off on a new phone let's say 6 months I can return it to you and get a new one ?
Oh that sounds lovely..NOT!

N2 tap'd HD

wcjeep

Reaction score
It's not for me. I have a few friends this might be the right fit. They use more than 2gb/month data. They are ready for new phones but don't want the large out of pocket expense.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I would be happy with this. I usually have wifi where ever I'm at. Only when I'm in the car do I not have wifi and 6 gigs would be plenty for me to stream music 100% of the time I'm in the car. I'm on ATT with 3 gigs and it is plenty for me. I'm sure there are others who use more and will still keep their unlimited but if I was on Verizon and wanting to upgrade, I'd take this deal.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We ain't biting ...it makes no sense if you have unlimited and use data ..let me see you give me more data that current customers get but I'm still paying more for using phone...I get a chance to join your new Edge plan which is a ripoff ..pay 50% off on a new phone let's say 6 months I can return it to you and get a new one ?
Oh that sounds lovely..NOT!

N2 tap'd HD

Oh, we weren't suppose to fall for that...?

homer-simpson-doh.gif

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Is this only for customers who are on unlimited now? I paid $30 for 2GB now, so that is 4GB for free. Seems like a no brainer for me if I can switch. I gave up my unlimited when I went with the S4, but I am an edge case I don't even use 1GB of data a month.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The economics of this, with a subsidized phone, are compelling for people that don't use a lot of data or only use some on occasion. And it doesn't say what the minutes and texts are - that could be some additional value for people like me paying $50 for 400 minutes and 200 texts. This actually looks like a decent compromise/olive branch to people who want a better deal for data but don't want to pay retail for phones, either. Also, the shared plans saved money for people with multiple lines, and now here's a plan that will be a winner with some individual users.

And perhaps the real story here is this flies completely in the face of people who keep insisting that VZW is just going to arbitrarily take away your unlimited data. There is nothing to suggest they will do that. This plan is unnecessary and useless if in the near future they planned to just end unlimited data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Is this only for customers who are on unlimited now? I paid $30 for 2GB now, so that is 4GB for free. Seems like a no brainer for me if I can switch. I gave up my unlimited when I went with the S4, but I am an edge case I don't even use 1GB of data a month.

That appears to be the case. However, if your contract is up I would guess you could get this deal. Might be a case of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", but it can't hurt to ask.

mardoon

Reaction score
that funny my bill is $64.89 . on average I use 150 min less than 500 text and 15 GB
why would I change?

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
What if I have unlimited, but barely use 3 GB ? Worth the switch? Family shares minutes and texts, but I hardly use either of those. I can't afford paying off contract prices

Last edited:

boidsonly

Reaction score
No thanks, I'll keep my unlimited plan because this is really no cheaper than what I pay right now-and that is overpriced.

When I do give up my plan, it will be to someone else in the family to take advantage of.

StevieJ

Reaction score
that funny my bill is $64.89 . on average I use 150 min less than 500 text and 15 GB
why would I change?

I'm right there with you on that one. I pay $67 per month for unlimited data along with 450 min. and unlimited texts.

shenanigans9001

Reaction score
Last month, I used 300gb of data with my $30 unlimited plan (from tethering) because I don't want to pay for wifi right now. Maybe in the future, I would probably be fine with 6gb, but for now, I can't live without unlimited.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Last month, I used 300gb of data with my $30 unlimited plan (from tethering) because I don't want to pay for wifi right now. Maybe in the future, I would probably be fine with 6gb, but for now, I can't live without unlimited.

First, let me say thanks to users like you ^^^ who make me feel better about my bit of unauthorized tethering (like 1GB). Metaphorically speaking, I hope the cop pulls over the Lamborghini going 150 before writing up me in my Honda, going 75 in a 55 zone. ;)

I'm right there with you on that one. I pay $67 per month for unlimited data along with 450 min. and unlimited texts.

Ditto. However, there might be an angle here: imagine that Verizon announces in January that all unlimited plans will be moved over to some other kind of tiered/metered quota system. If I understand correctly, this new plan is ONLY available to unlimited customers. So I find it pretty easy to predict that they'll end the olive branch at some point, and raise the prices on the fixed data plans around the same time. In other words, it may turn out in hindsight that we can lock up 6GB now for $30, rather than pay $40 or $60 for the same privilege next year.

That's almost all speculation, but since I only use AT MOST 2 or 3GB a month, the 6GB offer makes perfect sense for someone like me if it were truly locked in. Same price I currently pay, with more data than I've ever consumed in a single month. Either way, nothing is forever and I'm sure all of us will be in limited plans at the same price at some point in the future.

-Matt

gveserat

Reaction score
Verizon "Max"?

Why would I stop my $30 UNlimited plan for a LIMITED plan for the same or MORE $$$$$?????

I am confused??