Verizon is Planning to Reduce MORE Everything Plans by $10 on Thursday (Adding More Options Too)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Man, the more I see people dancing to try to get larger data allowances the happier I am to have the unlimited.

And to have friends willing to buy me $220 phones for gifts. :)

I can't wait for Verizon to stop dragging its heels and move to the GSM/LTE model they agreed to when they bought the spectrum from the FCC and just start letting phones on their network. I look forward to just being about buy ANY phone I want. :)

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1423277141517.jpg

It stayed!

I don't miss my unlimited data at all. With my promotion at work to management, I need the unlimited minutes because of how much I am on the phone with my carrier reps, etc. Plus, paying $35/month for my plan is 10x better than the $89.99 I was :)

Sent from my Note 4

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Over the summer my data use hit something like (censored) times your 7GB. :) It's double digits, though.

I'm REALLY glad your data stayed, though. Verizon's overcharging as it is. :D

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The rep on the phone told me it wouldn't stay. Wouldn't have been a big deal if it hadn't, as it was already another gig more than I was getting, but it's nice to see it still there :-D

Sent from my Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Like I said earlier, I only dropped my unlimited because I was only using about 2GB anyway, even with watching YouTube, streaming music, downloading & updating apps, even those that recommended wifi, etc.

I only get about 20mbps on LTE here. I was getting that on wifi, but they bumped our home Internet up & I get 40 now consistently. I use at least 10GB on wifi a month. Kinda nice that the note shows me that. I had no idea. Haha

Even when I've traveled this year, I didn't go over 2. Mostly because my phone is my GPS, so that cuts down on using data other than that while I drive.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Man, the more I see people dancing to try to get larger data allowances the happier I am to have the unlimited.

I hit over 80 gigs a few months ago. I'm a little suspicious, though, because when I compare usage with my home ISP that usage rate is like 2-3X what it is at home.

More effort than I'm capable of, but I'd be interested to know how much data my ISP shows for a Netflix movie vs. Verizon tethering my phone.

And, without tether, I could still easily hit 15-20gigs in a month if I never used wifi - which would be almost all daily offline downloading of my news and related images (yes, I do need to cull my list a bit). Yeah, I know, but that's what's great about these phones - when I'm on an airplane or a train going thru the tunnel that's frequently when I do most of my reading and when I often don't have service.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't get why it bothers people so much. Everyone's usage varies. Just because you don't use as much data as the next guy doesn't mean they need to limit their usage. This is my usage 2 weeks in. Usually Netflix is way up there and Slacker & Pandora as well, but it varies each month.
DIiyPdT.png

Verizon wants to make more money, it's as simple as that. I for one intend to use the hell out of my unlimited while I still have it. If it goes away it goes away, but I refuse to apologize for my usage just because someone else thinks I should only be using 5 gig a month. I have no problem paying full retail for my devices so I can keep my unlimited.
Just my 2 cents of course.

S5 tap'n

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Really, what are you doing, watching Netflix all day while on the road, or using it for home internet "which it was not intended for". I also have unlimited and never went over 15 GB, no wonder VZ is trying REAL hard to get rid of Unlimited.

Ever hear of something called MHL?

For $5, I have a cable that lets me connect my TV to my phone, and power it at the same time so the battery doesn't run flat. Netflix, just to use your example, uses up to 3gb/hour for high-definition video.

I don't have a 9-5 job; I'm an author. I spend all day staring at a computer screen, typing things. I live in an area where I have two choices for TV; OTA or satellite. I have two choices for internet that's not metered by the gigabyte; satellite (which is getting as bad as fixed wireless, or 3/4G "hotspots") or dialup. So I stream a lot of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and XBMC videos.

So, let's see here. 6 hours a day (conservative) times 3GB/hour equals 18GB/day. All legitimate, approved, appropriate uses for my unlimited internet, using a piece of technology that cost me about $5 on eBay and something baked into my phone and approved by Verizon.

VZW wants to charge by the gigabyte because they see it as a revenue stream, nothing more. I happen to have something that I'm taking advantage of. If I had other choices I would exercise them. Now, I've answered your question and accusation. This is a subject that has been debated ad nauseum everywhere on the internet where Verizon, AT&T, or any other telecom who limits your data use has reared their greedy head. Let's call the matter settled before the thread has to be closed down, alright? I appreciate your restraint and understanding in this matter. :)