Verizon Planning a Big Data Plan Price Jump

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-wireless-sign-dark.jpg

Verizon customers are about to feel a bigger pinch in their wallets. Big Red will soon have a price hike on their data plans. The is occurring across the board. Here's a breakdown of the reported price increases:
  • Verizon S plan: From $30 with 1GB of data to $35 with 2GB of data
  • Verizon M plan: From $45 with 3GB of data to $50 with 4GB of data
  • Verizon L plan: From $60 with 6GB of data to $70 with 8GB of data
  • Verizon XL plan: From $80 with 12GB of data to $90 with 16GB of data
  • Verizon XXL plan: From $100 with 18GB of data to $110 with 24GB of data
As you can see, some of the plans getting bumped are going up by $5 bucks per month, while more than half are increasing by $10 per month. The other obvious detail is that the data amounts are also increasing. These new plans will also include a new “carryover data” feature, which lets users rollover unused data to the next month.

So basically, Verizon is forcing more data on their customers while also increasing the price. In some instances, this might offer folks a greater value, but for a great many people, this will simply be having to pay more for something they don't even need or use.

It has been a while since VZW has done something so aggravating to their customers. We dared hope that they had changed their ways... alas, it was not to be....

Source: Verizon, America’s most expensive carrier, is about to get even more expensive

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm annoyed by it but on the other hand $10 for another 6GB isn't terrible. It will really allow me to cut lose on YouTube and streaming and never have to think about it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't really see this a a totally bad thing for most people. With the roll over data option (WONDERFUL), someone could easily drop DOWN a level and pay less. I doubt most people use exactly the upper limit of their data plan each month. The unused data then rolls over to give you a higher limit for the next month. Others will have to pay a little more, but get a higher data limit. Not all bad.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm hoping I can keep my 6GB plan at current cost and get rollover, or potentially paying the rumored $5 more a month for the safety plan where the data is throttled after I reach the cap (or both). I don't really need 2 extra GB a month and would rather not spend $10 more each month for it, but we do come very close to our 6GB limit each month.

Will be interesting to see how this all pans out and I will be watching our plan closely to determine what the best move is. I read in another thread that it's also rumored that you won't be forced onto these new plans, kind of like when they did away with unlimited data plans. Hopefully that's true.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
There are still people on America's Choice plans so I doubt it will be a forced move.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I pay $80 after my discount for the XXL plan. With the unlimited safe mode I could drop down to the XL plan and save $8 and only lose 2gb of LTE. I was on the XL plan before but was constantly going over my limit.

Tap'd from my 6 Plus

thc1967

Reaction score
I spent quite a few years with Verizon. I was forced into a switch when my kid moved to DC for grad school and Verizon just couldn't get a signal into her apartment.

I've been with T-Mobile ever since and I love everything about them. In the year plus I've been with them, I've seen coverage in my area become as ubiquitous as Verizon's, their signal strength (especially into buildings) improve dramatically, their plan improve by adding Canada for free (I do a lot of travel to Canada) plus free music service and video streaming is like free data, their customer service has been outstanding, and their corporate citizenship is commendable.

Yeah, F Verizon. T-Mo all the way!

pchain

Reaction score
How long do you think it will be before they force America's Choice unlimited data plan users to one of these plans? If there was a time to do it, it would seem like this would be it...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
How long do you think it will be before they force America's Choice unlimited data plan users to one of these plans? If there was a time to do it, it would seem like this would be it...
Never. They'll just keep raising rates.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty soon America's Choice will be Tmobile.

But I have to say that this new plan looks very good to those who want both Verizon's coverage and lots of data at a fairly decent rate.

Still doesn't beat my TMo unlimited data at fitty per month. ;)

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
At least they're giving the customers something this time as opposed to just hiking prices and keeping the service the same. For me, $5 for another gig of data is reasonable when I think about it. Honestly, $5 per GB is what I think it should be anyway...but I digress.

Nobody likes paying more for the same ol'-same ol'. This isn't the worst they've done.