Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Let's couple today's news with yesterday's news...

Verizon CEO hints iPhone not coming soon - Yahoo! News

Fruity phones aren't on the agenda immediately, from the sounds of things, and the caps are coming first. My thoughts are... why cap right before you get a phone that people would jump AT&T's ship just to get? No cap would be a GREAT incentive to make people come to Verizon instead.

Darksthour

Reaction score
Let's couple today's news with yesterday's news...

Verizon CEO hints iPhone not coming soon - Yahoo! News

Fruity phones aren't on the agenda immediately, from the sounds of things, and the caps are coming first. My thoughts are... why cap right before you get a phone that people would jump AT&T's ship just to get? No cap would be a GREAT incentive to make people come to Verizon instead.

Probably because AT&T's plan is going to still be more expensive. I don't really see too big of a deal with this. If you use a lot you can just turn on WiFi anywhere you go. someone somewhere probably has a network you can connect to. I always have my enabled, see no battery problems and WiFi runs faster than 3g anyways. I also think that once the iPhone comes to Verizon a whole mess of people are going to switch either way. Plus Verizon is a huge corporation thinking "Hey, how do we get as much money as possible out of these people?"

Jaken5

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member who actually has been loitering here a while since i got my DX. I've used it for only 2 weeks now and already hit 207MB, so I can't help but feel a little bumped out by this news. My question is, when they start phasing in the tiered plan structure, VZW can't legally change the term of my contract if it carries the unlimited package, can it? From a legal standpoint, that would in effect allow me to terminate the contract early at my choosing without penalty. Any lawyer on this forum who cares to chime in?

DROIDsballs

Reaction score
I honestly dont see them forcing anyone into a tiered plan that already has unlimited unless you were to switch around what kind of package you have.

Before i got my Droid i was on a very cheap service plan with Verizon that they stopped providing 3 years into service with them, although i kept that plan for 6 years up until i changed my plan for the Droid.

No they cant forcefully change your contract but they can and will make you offers that will make it tempting to switch it up.

Varking

Reaction score
So my 368230.73 KB is just 0.351172189712524 GB? Meaning I would most likely have to be in the second tier if I don't stick with unlimited? What I find odd is that I am constantly using the internet at work and I ALWAYS use Google Maps Navigation and I travel for roughly two hours a day on the road, and I am that far under the 2 GB cap on the second tier. I am sure though that I could get by without using Google Maps and I could switch to Wi-Fi while in the three houses I am at during the month and likely drop my data usage to just the $15 a month plan.

everstar80

Reaction score
I think this sucks. If they are going to do this, then those with contracts already should be grandfathered no matter how much time is left on their phones because it is a breach of contract if they do this. And I hope that if they do not honor their side of the contract that we are allowed to upgrade. I do wonder if you are grandfathered in and you upgrade your device will you still be able to keep unlimited data?

xmguy

Reaction score
If they offered a option to TRY a lower tiered plan say 2GBs for $15. I might be willing to try it. But would want the option to return to unlimited.

J5311

Reaction score
Most CEO's should die cuz all of them lie to make XXXXXXXXXXXXX more money and give 8=======D to costumers

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
This is terrible, first they require a $9.99 25MB data package for standard 3G multimedia phones. What about those people who don't ever use data and just like the phones in general. Now they want to start tier pricing. Next they will be setting phone call curfews. This is exactly why I don't feel bad about rooting, because they are constantly ripping us off too....

Venting has subsided

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
"Not feeling bad about rooting" How would rooting hurt/bother VZ. ? Just asking ....

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
D'OH! ;)

My previous post was for the unlimited.

Until Verizon cracks down on 3rd party tether apps, though, the fact remains that tethering is frowned upon but not prohibited. Just tread lightly.

I'm pretty sure this:

"These WirelessEmail plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile BroadbandConnect. "
means that it IS prohibited. (2) pretty much spells it out.

Just because people don't often get "caught" doesn't mean it isn't prohibited. It basically spells it out clearly - unless you have Mobile BroadbandConnect; the ONLY reason you should be tethering is via USB for data transfer purposes (i.e. putting stuff from your PC onto the sdcard)

Gray_Lensman

Reaction score
Just got my DroidX this month... I'm curious... If you leave the phone selected to Wi-Fi (on) as default, will it still bring in 3G data if Wi-Fi is not available?

mtz_gto

Reaction score
D'OH! ;)

My previous post was for the unlimited.

Until Verizon cracks down on 3rd party tether apps, though, the fact remains that tethering is frowned upon but not prohibited. Just tread lightly.

I got over 10GB routinely, but I've had several months where I've hovered around 5GB. No nastygram so far.

Im curious as to how you think Verizon is able to "crack down" on 3rd party tether apps..?

isnt this android? an open OS? free to install anything you please?
I cannot see Verizon implimenting any type of code into their data
networks to make it harder for apps to teather...