Verizon Implementing Tiered Data Plans Soon

xpezdj

Reaction score
Well guess I better get the phone I like and stick with it til the phone dies

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure grandfathering current users is a given. The real question is will they allow us to keep it after upgrading. I'm thinking yes since at&t did the same with their users. I saw an article the other day on Engadget where the Ceo of Sprint said that if data usage gets crazy even they will have to go to tiered. So in a year, none of them may have unlimited, but only time will tell. I'm not too worried about it though, I don't think they will make us switch plans.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Pandemic187

Reaction score
So with tiered pricing being introduced, will they still charge $20/month for wireless tether? It seems like a good way to charge rooted users who do this without paying the monthly fee, but considering how money-hungry corporations are, I wouldn't be surprised if the the $20 fee and tiered pricing co-exist.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
not going to get too excited yet..i will wait till i hear final verdict on what they are doing.. hope they still offer unlimeted data even if we have to pay more for it ...

Lucas5

Reaction score
tiered pricing might not be TOO bad if one is a light to moderate data user. The last time that I poked through the verizon data monitor on my droid 1, i think it said that i had around 200MB in data usage for the month. as such, having to only pay $15 per month for the data would be fine with me. if i got over a little bit than so be it. in the end, it will average out less than what i'm paying now.

Zarniwoop

Reaction score
It's widely known that Verizon's "unlimited" is NOT unlimited. Verizon is 5 gigs a month, beyond which Verizon charges a per megabyte rate. The consensus I recall from discussions on droidforums is that Android phones are given an extra 5 gigs a month, making them able to do 10 gigs a month, but they are still soft-capped, not unlimited.

So, introducing tiers gives people more options, not less. There IS already a tier on Verizon now for something ridiculously small like 100 or 250 megs/month. So anyway, I don't know what the fuss is about. Only Sprint and Clear have "unlimited" unlimited and even they have "fair use" clauses so you can't go crazy.

Unless Verizon gets really greedy with the higher tiers and charge more than the current price for the current cap, this is just more options for less money for people who don't need 5 gigs/mo.

And yes, someone mentioned 4G... With 4G you could download 5 gigs in a few hours; something HAS to change with 4G coming at us. I've had the pleasure of trying Sprint 4G and where it works it is pretty darned fast. My highest speedtest was 8mbit download speed, with an average around 3-5.

moot

Reaction score
Bummer, I use more than 2gigs on most months. I stream Pandora and download nightlies over 3G.

newtodroidx

Reaction score
Ok, so this may be a stupid question but I am new to my Droid x and feel that I would need the unlimited data. I am not very technologically savvy so my phone says that I have used 579702 KB of data...is this alot and if they do switc to the tiered would the 5 gigs be enough for me? Granted I got this phone this month so have been using it alot checking out the cool features so I normally wouldn't use this much I would think. I just don't get the whole MB, GB AND KB thing.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's widely known that Verizon's "unlimited" is NOT unlimited. Verizon is 5 gigs a month, beyond which Verizon charges a per megabyte rate. The consensus I recall from discussions on droidforums is that Android phones are given an extra 5 gigs a month, making them able to do 10 gigs a month, but they are still soft-capped, not unlimited.

So, introducing tiers gives people more options, not less. There IS already a tier on Verizon now for something ridiculously small like 100 or 250 megs/month. So anyway, I don't know what the fuss is about. Only Sprint and Clear have "unlimited" unlimited and even they have "fair use" clauses so you can't go crazy.

Unless Verizon gets really greedy with the higher tiers and charge more than the current price for the current cap, this is just more options for less money for people who don't need 5 gigs/mo.

And yes, someone mentioned 4G... With 4G you could download 5 gigs in a few hours; something HAS to change with 4G coming at us. I've had the pleasure of trying Sprint 4G and where it works it is pretty darned fast. My highest speedtest was 8mbit download speed, with an average around 3-5.

Sorry to tell you this but it's widely known that unlimited means unlimited. We've discussed this many, many times and I don't know where you get your information but you're dead wrong.

Godfather

Reaction score
Ok, so this may be a stupid question but I am new to my Droid x and feel that I would need the unlimited data. I am not very technologically savvy so my phone says that I have used 579702 KB of data...is this alot and if they do switc to the tiered would the 5 gigs be enough for me? Granted I got this phone this month so have been using it alot checking out the cool features so I normally wouldn't use this much I would think. I just don't get the whole MB, GB AND KB thing.

579702 kb = 579.7 MB. 1000kb = 1 mb, thus 1000mb= 1 GB

Redneck Trash

Reaction score
I'm a little tired of the assumption the tiered plans mean an end of unlimited data. Can anyone actually verifiy anything from Verizon stating that unlimited data will end with tiered data plans?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
if i activate my droid this weekend and lets say this plan goes into affect next month will i have to switch to one of their plans or would i be able to have unlimited data for 2 year plan

bhall238

Reaction score

579702 kb = 579.7 MB. 1000kb = 1 mb, thus 1000mb= 1 GB

So 579702 kB = 579.7 MB = .580 GB. Just move the decimal 3 places (and round up) depending on which way you are converting. 5 Gigs would be a lot for you at this point. What plan do you have now?