AT&T Plans to Jack Up Data Plan Prices Next Week Due to Heavy Data Usage Increases

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-logo-with-globe.jpg

Although this new isn't directly related to Verizon, it is nevertheless relevant to all carriers, since they tend to follow each other's leads sometimes. The United States' second largest mobile phone carrier, AT&T, has made plans to sharply raise their pricing on data plans for smartphones and tablets. They are calling this move a response to an explosion in data usage. These new pricing plans will only affect new users, and current customers are grandfathered into their existing plans.

Mark Siegel, an AT&T spokesman explained that with customers consumption of video and music, estimates show that data usage is increasing 40 percent every year, which spurred the company toward this action. Here's a quote from the Yahoo article with details of the new pricing,

From January 22, AT&T customers will pay $20 for a 300-megabyte monthly data plan, up from $15 for 200-mb currently. Users with higher requirements can also opt for $30 for 3 gigabytes -- versus $25 for 2 GB previously -- or $50 for 5 GB, up from $45 for 4 GB.

It makes you wonder how long before Verizon sees this as an opportunity to do the same... :dry:

Source: Yahoo! News

sb1831

Reaction score
Higher minimum data requirements at a cheaper $/Gb I'll call it a push.

Red Droid

Reaction score
The plans are actually cheaper under the new rate structure. $25 for 2GB, if you go over and hit 3GB add $10 for a total of $35 under the current plan. The new AT&T plan only charges $30 for 3GB. Same goes for the 4GB bump to a 5GB plan.

Did I miss something here? Verizon charges $30 for 2GB, AT&T now gives 3GB for the same $30.

Does this mean Verizon needs to give their customers an extra GB for $30 to stay COMPETITIVE?

305rev305

Reaction score
The plans are actually cheaper under the new rate structure. $25 for 2GB, if you go over and hit 3GB add $10 for a total of $35 under the current plan. The new AT&T plan only charges $30 for 3GB. Same goes for the 4GB bump to a 5GB plan.

Did I miss something here? Verizon charges $30 for 2GB, AT&T now gives 3GB for the same $30.

Does this mean Verizon needs to give their customers an extra GB for $30 to stay COMPETITIVE?

Maybe not. Maybe Verizon likes to be the most expensive in order to say gouhave to attend for the best... Either way I have unlimited...

TuxDude

Reaction score
Yep it would be great if Verizon also offered more or at least equally competitive as AT&T

Aixelsyd

Reaction score
How can you say these are increased when the $ per Gb is less. to further add you forgot to mention the $50 5Gb plan also includes tethering which currently is an added fee if I'm not mistaken

empoweredh22

Reaction score
Verizon's double data just ended so it's kind of a horse a piece, depending on your exact timing of getting any new device as far as who's cheaper at the moment. No doubt vzw is expensive and no doubt there's LTE growing pains but overall I still say vzw ftw over att.

rocktoonz

Reaction score
it's too bad that there wasn't enough outcry and backlash when unlimited plans were discontinued.

empoweredh22

Reaction score
I think it's because anyone that wanted one/cared already had one and was safely grandfathered in. And as far as I know no one has been pushed off them or been throttled yet even when upgrading a phone, so that's a good thing. But I agree.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How can you say these are increased when the $ per Gb is less. to further add you forgot to mention the $50 5Gb plan also includes tethering which currently is an added fee if I'm not mistaken

You are right that the actual value to the customer is better, but it is still a sneaky way to wiggle a bit more money out of the customer by signing them up for a higher monthly fee. If a user never comes close to those data limits, then they are paying more for something they didn't use. I suppose it depends on the particular consumer at that point. Still... thanks for pointing out that it has the potential for better value for the customer. I forgot to mention that in my story. :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Higher minimum data requirements at a cheaper $/Gb I'll call it a push.

And really they are just raising their prices in-line with VZW, which already had 5gigs for $50 and 2gigs (4gigs?) for $30.

Makes sense - AT&T 3G is faster than VZW (at least for the IPhone, but some others as well) and presumably their LTE will be on par.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Seems as though they're making it more expensive just for people who are extremely heavy users.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Those are actually better prices... 2GB isn't enough, and for $5 more I'd take the 3GB plan.