Changes Coming to Verizon's EDGE and MORE Everything Plans!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Glad I just joined the edge ranks for the note 4,but I wouldn't mind them knocking $5 off each month.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree, 24 months rather than 20 is nice, but 18 months to upgrade rather than 12? That means for me, I'd have to wait until after April 2016 to upgrade again and would miss out on being able to explore all the newest and greatest phones this time next year. Not happy at all about that.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
What
Not next year, starting this THURSDAY! Hence my big issue here...it's less than 2 weeks before the Turbo is set to be announced. Coincidence??? Conspiracy??? Highly suspicious at best and a clear faux pas by the marketing team if so, as they're looking at numbers as the motivation when then should be looking at client loyalty and testimonials as the motivation to keep this plan as it is, or at least to not reduce the upgrade period from 12 months to 18 months. I see myself as one of a lesser and lesser hold-outs for Verizon, and if you follow me at all, you know I am always talking about how much they are actually willing to do for a loyal customer if you hold their feet to the fire.

This is going to have a ripple effect if it goes through which could result in the cream of the crop, their most loyal and most outspoken of members to finally say enough is enough. I for one don't have $700 to drop on a new Turbo, however I can certainly see my way to a few bucks more per month to move from the MAXX to the Turbo, but not if it means I won't be able to Edge up this time next year to the newest and greatest as I am this year and have every year previously since the OGD.
I mean is if you Edged up already, you will not be affected until you Edge up Next year because of this new policy. If you Edge up after the 16th This will affect you immediately.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ha

I had a bad experience with AT&T with dropped calls. Will not go back..

True that. AT&T sucks here in the Phila, PA Western Suburbs and on the Western edge of Phila as well, though I can't attest to how they perform IN phila proper.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
What

I mean is if you Edged up already, you will not be affected until you Edge up Next year because of this new policy. If you Edge up after the 16th This will affect you immediately.

Correct, I just wanted to clarify for everyone, that if you don't do it today or tomorrow if you haven't already, you're stuck in the new plan.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I agree, 24 months rather than 20 is nice, but 18 months to upgrade rather than 12? That means for me, I'd have to wait until after April 2016 to upgrade again and would miss out on being able to explore all the newest and greatest phones this time next year. Not happy at all about that.
I get your point completely, but this is my first rodeo in edgeland. I paid full price for all of my phones since they axed unlimited data. Did the old payment plan on the s4 & decided I didn't wanna wait until tax time to get a new phone, but I paid the s4 off, so I held onto it for at least 20 months or whatever the term was on the original payment plan before edge came around.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Tmobile is horrible here in North Carolina. Sprint is just as bad. Verizon has the best service here so I am stuck with them.

I am fortunate enough to have choices. With the exception of Sprint all of the providers now work where I live.

I was interested in the $25 off per smartphone with Verizon. $15 doesn't cut it for me since I will be porting 4 lines.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I am fortunate enough to have choices. With the exception of Sprint all of the providers now work where I live.

I was interested in the $25 off per smartphone with Verizon. $15 doesn't cut it for me since I will be porting 4 lines.

I work for the State so I get an extra 20% off from the price and my bill.

ChristiLock

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung S5
Néed help please. I'm am a 12 yr VZW customer and have been locked into my Unlimited data plan for years. I was told once it was no,longer offered that I and my husband were grandfathered in and we wouldn't lose it. However as you can guess when my husband upgraded 2 years ago at Bestbuy they neglected to tell him he would lose his Unlimited upon upgrading. I've gotten around it myself by useing my kids lines available upgrades (they have basic phones) but I'm told if I did that now since the recent policy changes VZW would actually open a data plan on my kids line and keep it there since the upgrade was used on it. I've asked around everywhere and all anyone can tell me is to keep my unlimited I have to buy the phone outright from now on. Please tell me you know of a way to do this without losing my unlimited while using the upgrade on my line? I was told yesterday to upgrade via Bestbuy online useing my upgrade and simply not use the SIM provided with the new phone and just use the one I currently have. Is that true? As you can guess I'm desperate fofor an answer because I've GOT to have the new Turbo lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well as far as the upgrade by using one of the basic phone lines, that's the process that I did mine with last year and that's the one that people are saying now doesn't work any longer. However, in discussion with a Verizon customer service representative on the phone the other day he informed me that you do want to activate the phone on the other child's line first, using that new sim that comes with the phone. Then once the phone from that line has been activated you move it to your line and wait 30 days and call up to have the data dropped from the other line. Now that may only be with respect to Edge program upgrades, which is what I'm doing. I'm not sure if that works with the standard upgrade process. M fact I'm not sure it even works with Edge but I aim to find out.

ChristiLock

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung S5
The problem with that is the only upgrade available for the next year (Nov of 2015 for kids) is MINE lol. Hence my problem.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Well since we were considering Verizon vs Tmobile I think this cements the incentive for me to choose Tmobile.

TMobile has great service where I live and have had little to no issues with their service. Just know that to use the JUMP program if you get it on TMobile, you have to pay off at least 50% of the device before you can upgrade. You can do this at 6 months, but still needs to be 50%. I was fortunate and jumped on the JUMP program very early and am grandfathered in to upgrading every 6 months no matter how much I pay off on the phone. $10/month for JUMP over 6 months and $25 a month over 6 months is $150. For $210 (just $10 over the usual $199 down) I can upgrade every 6 months.

ChristiLock

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung S5
Well as far as the upgrade by using one of the basic phone lines, that's the process that I did mine with last year and that's the one that people are saying now doesn't work any longer. However, in discussion with a Verizon customer service representative on the phone the other day he informed me that you do want to activate the phone on the other child's line first, using that new sim that comes with the phone. Then once the phone from that line has been activated you move it to your line and wait 30 days and call up to have the data dropped from the other line. Now that may only be with respect to Edge program upgrades, which is what I'm doing. I'm not sure if that works with the standard upgrade process. M fact I'm not sure it even works with Edge but I aim to find out.

The problem with that is the only upgrade available for the next year (Nov of 2015 for kids) is MINE lol. Hence my problem.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score

I cannot imagine they are doing this simply because of the Turbo. Working in the industry, I imagine it is because AT&T's most popular Next plan is the 18 month upgrade/24 month installment.
Keep in mind that you can always pay the 6 months of installments at month 12 so that you can trade in the device for a new one.
These changes to Edge are something that those of us who sell Verizon have been asking for for months, ever since they first changed the plan to 20 months. Edge was a more difficult sell because of the higher installments; people just didn't see the savings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well since we were considering Verizon vs Tmobile I think this cements the incentive for me to choose Tmobile.
I "jumped" back in May. Their reputation here was horrid so I went into their store and told the guy "I don't care what your map says, in used to Verizon map showing I have great coverage but the real world results are craptacular". He sold me a SIM card to use in my Verizon Note2, I went home (where Verizon is non existent in spite of map saying it's stellar) had great usage on the Note2, went back and did a Jump on a G2. He gave me 14 days to try or return with no restock fee on phone and SIM card. I have yet to find a place that T-Mobile doesn't have reception that Verizon does in my world.
To me the changes show Verizon still isn't paying attention to T-Mobile but is paying attention to AT&T, that is making changes based on their huge improvement to their network in the last year and T-Mobile policies .

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk