Bionic Price Confirmed?

wseyller

Reaction score
Are YOU serious?? Some of us know what these devices are really worth... $300 is really high. And full retail for one of these things? You'd be nuts to throw your money at that. Oh well, it's your money, do what you want with it. :)

It doesn't matter if another phone is even more price-jacked than the Bionic, it's still a lot, so please, ease off a bit on the condescending tone for those with sticker shock.

It IS a LOT to pay for a phone. You're into laptop computer pricing territory now, but with WAY less processing power/memory/storage/connectivity than a laptop has.

...Waiting for the "but it has a camera" line now...

A phone is not as big as a laptop so squeezing all that into a phone has higher cost versus fitting the same performance into a laptop. Yes Verizon has higher pricing than the other carriers but in reality you get what you pay for. I makes no sense for me to buy a cheaper phone when it will have bad coverage. If I'm wrong then all the people still on Verizon must be idiots.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are YOU serious?? Some of us know what these devices are really worth... $300 is really high. And full retail for one of these things? You'd be nuts to throw your money at that. Oh well, it's your money, do what you want with it. :)

It doesn't matter if another phone is even more price-jacked than the Bionic, it's still a lot, so please, ease off a bit on the condescending tone for those with sticker shock.

It IS a LOT to pay for a phone. You're into laptop computer pricing territory now, but with WAY less processing power/memory/storage/connectivity than a laptop has.

Top end 4G phones aren't going to be less than $299 so you better get used to it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to defend Verizon or any carrier for that matter, but it's fairly common knowledge that carriers usually lose money on phones. They make most of their money from the contracts.

Stayin100

Reaction score
I'm sure costco or some online deal will be offering then cheaper shortly after launch

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

i can read

Reaction score

The prime is most likely going to be the same price. If you want a cheap phone go to ebay and get a 2yr old hunk of junk otherwise dont complain

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

googlelover

Reaction score
Not to defend Verizon or any carrier for that matter, but it's fairly common knowledge that carriers usually lose money on phones. They make most of their money from the contracts.
Uhh, thats the point of offering the cheaper phone with a contract, if you make $1680 from keeping the customer for 2 years (based on the lowest minute, no text, data plan) then scraping 250 bucks off the phone isn't too hard. especially if they have a 900 minute unlimited texting plan then it goes up to $2640 for 2 years!

deek

Reaction score
Phones are always updating. They seem to be catching up to PC-type technology, yet, more compact.
Not to mention, laptops or computers don't rely on 3G or 4G to get data access.

Demand for computers is also dropping while many people rely on their cell phones. How many people update their Facebooks or check their e-mails on their phone now instead of their PC?

Just stuff to think about :)

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uhh, thats the point of offering the cheaper phone with a contract, if you make $1680 from keeping the customer for 2 years (based on the lowest minute, no text, data plan) then scraping 250 bucks off the phone isn't too hard. especially if they have a 900 minute unlimited texting plan then it goes up to $2640 for 2 years!

I know, I was pointing it out to people who thought Verizon was "making out" by charging $299 for the Bionic. They're most likely losing $2-300 on the phone itself.

googlelover

Reaction score
^^ if thats a reason it should be more expensive... *facepalm*
The retail price hasn't changed on any of the phones, X had the same price as the Bionic, but the 2 year pricing has increased? Whats their reason behind that?
Edit:the one above lidrecs..

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The prime is most likely going to be the same price. If you want a cheap phone go to ebay and get a 2yr old hunk of junk otherwise dont complain

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

I agree. People need to stop whining about the pricing. If you don't like it then good, just don't get the phone at all. You must not want it that bad if you're not willing to pay whatever price they throw at you.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^ if thats a reason it should be more expensive... *facepalm*
The retail price hasn't changed on any of the phones, X had the same price as the Bionic, but the 2 year pricing has increased? Whats their reason behind that?

Maybe the advancement of 4g LTE coverage? Who knows.

googlelover

Reaction score
Maybe the advancement of 4g LTE coverage? Who knows.
Then why did they put tiered data on too? Now they get you with $300 up front and more if you use their network how they advertise it... Of course I'll still be trying to get this phone ASAP and I'm grandfathered, but from a new customers point of view its just a rip off

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then why did they put tiered data on too? Now they get you with $300 up front and more if you use their network how they advertise it... Of course I'll still be trying to get this phone ASAP and I'm grandfathered, but from a new customers point of view its just a rip off

You seem angry, tell us where Verizon touched you.

Verizon's the only company I've never had a dropped call with out of 4 carriers. I don't mind paying a little more for better service.

Pretty much the name of the game.

wseyller

Reaction score
High end phones cost about $200 more or less to manufacture high end phones, maybe 250 at most. I have read articles on the cost of components and manufacturing of some phones. The profit the manufacture makes from the carrier, well that I don't know. I think the carrier would at best break even or probably lose some but yeah they make their money on contracts, not phones. Just like the printer industry which I work in. The manufacturer loses by a lot on the printers but they lock you into their consumables. It cost them a dollar or two to produce an inkjet cartridge then sell it for $30 a pop. It's the razorblade concept.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dlo-htown

Reaction score
Demand for computers is also dropping while many people rely on their cell phones. How many people update their Facebooks or check their e-mails on their phone now instead of their PC?
Just stuff to think about :)

That is insanely trivial stuff that really doesn't help the business world go around. If you were unable to check your FB msgs for a day, seriously, how would that adversely affect you? And who here really uses any business apps on their phone? I mean REALLY uses it to create word docs, or spreadsheets, or any kind of graphics? Who the heck would try to do that on a tiny screen? A masochist?? :)

I'm of the opinion that if Verizon does away with the unlimited data plan eventually, that will be the day I give up my smart phone and go back to using a dumb phone and a laptop.

I'm not a lemming that has to have a smart phone just because it's hip. :)