Bionic Camera Picture Quality

Anathema

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anybody else you know own a bionic? Can they take pictures fine?

Try letting them use your bionic and take a few picture, then you try to take the same ones. If they have a bionic, try taking the same pictures on your bionic.

I'm honestly not trying to sound mean or arrogant but it really sounds like you're just getting adjusted to the camera. Macro shots can be tricky to master if you don't have experience with it.

Are you zoomed in...at all? If so, try zooming all the way out.
Get something to take a picture of and put against a plain black surface. (Make sure all you can see is the object and the surface/backround)
Slide the settings tab and click the 3rd option, make sure it's not on landscape (or night portrait, or steady shot)
Also, are you on 6mp or 8mp? I know people have been getting confused. To make sure, take a picture and click picture info, if it says 6mp go back and switch it.

Post some results?

The biggest thing I've been seeing is people not knowing how to use macro settings on cameras (which isn't a problem). It can be very difficult to use macro on phones with (generally speaking) a weak lense when you have a lot of busy objects in your photos - you really have to get it right.

redwood

Reaction score
Spend some time with it...learn its quirks and how it responds and you'll get some good results. My first pics sucked, after experimenting for 5-10 minutes I learned how to use it and have gotten some pretty good pics... remember it's a phone with a camera, not vice versa. I've seen worse results from $300 point and shoots, so you have to have a little patience.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Here are three pics I just took at my desk at various distances. Camera is on automatic (no macro). Seems fine to me for a phone camera. Third one would have probably been clearer with macro mode, however.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1316186562312.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1316186562312.jpg
    774.1 KB · Views: 372
  • uploadfromtaptalk1316186659613.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1316186659613.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 337
  • uploadfromtaptalk1316186705085.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1316186705085.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 456

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are three pics I just took at my desk at various distances. Camera is on automatic (no macro). Seems fine to me for a phone camera. Third one would have probably been clearer with macro mode, however.
They don't even look like they were taken with a phone. Nice pictures.

pilot12

Reaction score
photo storage location

I came from a D1 and swapped SD cards so I got all my old pics in my Bionic.
I took several pics and a video with the bionic.
I plugged the phone into my computer so I could transfer the pics. None of the new pics nor the video are on the external SD card, all my old pics are under dcim/camera.
I went into the Bionic Camera setup and saw that the storage was set to internal. The choice was grayed out and not changeable. I monkeyed with it and somehow finally go it changed to ext. SD.
I experimented some more but can't get any new pics to show on my PC.
The Bionic camera settings storage reverted back to Internal.
I've repeated all above several times. No change

I installed Gallery 3D and got the Phone gallery to look like what I was used to, but no help with the transfer; can't find the pics anyplace.

How do I transfer internally stored pics to the external SD card?
How do I set the camera storage location to permanently stay External?

Posting here because I thought you folks seem up to speed.

OP
Adweber328

Adweber328

Reaction score
Found the issue.. It was indeed the phone.. I swapped mine out at Verizon, and now the picture quality is on par with what I'd expect.
2011-09-16_11-15-12_781.jpg

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I hope this thread helps someone else in the future!

pilot12

Reaction score
Congratulations! Strange that you and your wife both got bad cameras.....I wonder if they were part of a bad "batch".

OP
Adweber328

Adweber328

Reaction score
Congratulations! Strange that you and your wife both got bad cameras.....I wonder if they were part of a bad "batch".

Well, to tell you the truth the problem with my wife's was user error. I took pictures with hers before I learned the secrets of the green box. So her poorly focused pictures were my fault.

After I went back to her phone again this morning, I noticed her pictures were much clearer. At that point it had to be the phone, and Verizon agreed.

Now I have to set everything back up again, which will be just super fun.

Thanks again everyone!

rayw796

Reaction score
My camera seems to work great! In fact, my bank allows you to take a photo of the front and back of a check and submit it for deposit. I could never get it to work with my OG Droid. First try with the Bionic and my checks were deposited! Love it.

OP
Adweber328

Adweber328

Reaction score
your Timex needs Gorilla Glass :p

Tell me about it.. It got stuck face down between a hardwood floor and an air mattress when we were visiting relatives. I found it in the morning and was not very happy. I guess that's what happens when you don't take care of a cheap watch! (needless to say, I have a screen protector on my Bionic)

Oh and one more thing. ConqSoft, I am glad I got the new phone so I could finally scan your avatar. I hope I didn't prove that to be true with this thread.. heh

wooddale

Reaction score
I m comming off a Thunderbolt compared to it the droid camera sucks. Unless I am doing something wrong which is very possible. I wait for the green stuff to show then it takes good picture problem is it takes forever and sometimes dont come on at all.Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with my phone? Can anyone help?

wooddale

Reaction score
Nope, not doing anything wrong. Motorola Droid cameras have always been slow.

Thanks had a droidX didnt think it was so slow but its been awhile since I tried. My X is rooted asis the TB I know with the TB you can get different cameras depending the rom. You think it will be the same with Bionic if you root?

Seawolf

Reaction score
I'm not impressed with this camera. To be honest the 5mp camera on my Droid 1 took better photos as long as I didn't use the digi zoom. Low Light photos have always been an issue with cell phone cameras, but I expected the Bionic to really set the bar higher.

I did find out that you have to physically go into the settings and switch the camera from 6mp to 8mp and the video from 720p to 1080p. I hope the camera can be improved through software and it's not a hardware issue.
Low Light
photobucket-789-1316310801417.jpg

73b14542.jpg

80ffd413.jpg