Bionic Screen/Picture Issues

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
sounds like you got a bad phone.. I'm looking at photos from my old DX and they look fine on my Bionic

looking at photos in general or the link example i gave? i dont know how it would be a "bad phone". doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" with the phone...it more seems like it's how the phone was produced. i guess i can maybe try going to the store tomorrow and try get a new one and see if i can see any improvement

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
well, I'm not clicking those links again due to Chrome popping up malware warnings on both of them. However, I can tell you that I've been looking at pix from various sites on my Bionic and they look fine. If your display is jacked up then take the phone into a VZW store and have them swap it out.

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
thanks for trying to help. i guess i'll try to swap it out before giving up on the phone. The phone seems pretty solid...and has gotten great reviews...but if the picture quality is going to be THAT bad, I would even rather have my old droid over the bionic

ambrown

Reaction score
I actually noticed something similar when I got my Incredible new. It had blurry gallery images but they just took a long time to load. This eventually went away with use though. The website images being blurry as well seems strange to me and I would take it back into Verizon. If they can't fix it they might replace it for you.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

rctp10

Reaction score
I think i know the problem.....If you were to go to google and look through images through the browser image viewer it downscales the photo causing it to blur on such a high res screen, if you go to the top and click on view full photo it will come up crystal clear. I just looked at about 50 pictures that all looked bad in the image viewer and then opened the full picture and it looked amazing, no joke try this, google hd wallpapers and click on one and it will be blury and ugly but if you click on the view full size the picture will look fantastic to say the least. Im not sure as why your old pictures would look bad but im sure it has something to do with them being low resolution.

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
I actually noticed something similar when I got my Incredible new. It had blurry gallery images but they just took a long time to load. This eventually went away with use though. The website images being blurry as well seems strange to me and I would take it back into Verizon. If they can't fix it they might replace it for you.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

thank you for the heads up. i'll definitely take it back to verizon

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
I think i know the problem.....If you were to go to google and look through images through the browser image viewer it downscales the photo causing it to blur on such a high res screen, if you go to the top and click on view full photo it will come up crystal clear. I just looked at about 50 pictures that all looked bad in the image viewer and then opened the full picture and it looked amazing, no joke try this, google hd wallpapers and click on one and it will be blury and ugly but if you click on the view full size the picture will look fantastic to say the least. Im not sure as why your old pictures would look bad but im sure it has something to do with them being low resolution.

thats the thing- if my older pics were older resolution, then at worst, they should look no worse than they do on my original droid...but somehow they look much worse (quality-wise)

rctp10

Reaction score
I understand that but try the google thing if they look good then obviously it is a problem with the old pictures.

OP
F

fearnoone330

Reaction score
I understand that but try the google thing if they look good then obviously it is a problem with the old pictures.

even browsing the internet i see issues. for example, if i am looking at facebook pictures...on my old droid, they look perfectly clear while surfing the web and looking at facebook pictures....however, when i try to view the same pictures via the web on facebook, on my droid bionic, the pictures have lost a great amount of detail and quality. I don't understand why this is

mach330

Reaction score
one word....pentile. it kind'a blows. i'm assuming that's what you're seeing that no one has brought up yet. it's the #1 complaint on this phone and all qHD phones so far. i'm kind'a getting used to it.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
one word....pentile. it kind'a blows. i'm assuming that's what you're seeing that no one has brought up yet. it's the #1 complaint on this phone and all qHD phones so far. i'm kind'a getting used to it.

I was shocked it took 3 pages for someone to mention the pentile screen. The Bionic/Droid3/ and DX2 (I think) all use a different type of screen that makes everything look like it has a small window screen over it, or sorta like the screen has really big pixels. I'm getting used to it, but there are times it jars me.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
The pentile screen does not exhibit what he is saying. Photos still look just as sharp as always. The only time I've ever seen the "window screen" effect was with an anti-glare screen protector, which does that on purpose.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Very good point. I have noticed the "grainy" image with an anti glare screen protector too. Have any of you with the screen complaints put a screen protector on at all? Have you tried taking it off to see if it's the screen or the plastic film?