Bionic Camera Picture Quality

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I never used the physical camera button on my D1 or my X. I felt like trying to depress the button caused me to shake the phone!

wooddale

Reaction score
The way I see it this camera sucks maybe when we get some roms someone will get us a new camera or moto will fix it

pilot12

Reaction score
I tried the same thing, with not the same results... What did you do, exactly?

I held the phone about 20 inches away from the screen and did not zoom in....waited for the auto focus to settle down and pushed the shutter button.
I'm thinking you got a bad camera...
While you're framing the shot and slightly moving the camera around, does the focus go in and out and in and out and then settle down with a good focus. Is the picture on the phone display focused when you snap the pic? Or is it just as fuzzy as the results?

Mine gives a picture that corresponds to what I saw on the phone for the most part. If it won't focus for you, there is somethng wrong.

OP
Adweber328

Adweber328

Reaction score
The way I see it this camera sucks maybe when we get some roms someone will get us a new camera or moto will fix it

I am going to have to agree.
I found an informative post on phandroid.com that has similar results...
Droid Bionic Review

Scroll about 1/3 of the way down, and you'll see some samples.

I guess I'll just wait.. They're going to fix something like that, right?
How does something like that make it through testing? They delay the phone for 8 months.. I kind of feel like the Bobs should have sat down with the testing team and asked the question, "What would you say you do here?"

OP
Adweber328

Adweber328

Reaction score
I held the phone about 20 inches away from the screen and did not zoom in....waited for the auto focus to settle down and pushed the shutter button.
I'm thinking you got a bad camera...
While you're framing the shot and slightly moving the camera around, does the focus go in and out and in and out and then settle down with a good focus. Is the picture on the phone display focused when you snap the pic? Or is it just as fuzzy as the results?

Mine gives a picture that corresponds to what I saw on the phone for the most part. If it won't focus for you, there is somethng wrong.

Nope, mine starts blurry, stays blurry, turns green blurry, and takes the shot blurry.
I can move it closer, farther, up, down, and it never seems to want to re-focus. I can tap the screen to adjust the focal point, still never gets clear..

Here's the kicker.. My wife also got a Droid bionic, and her camera is exactly the same.
I'll stop into the Verizon store tomorrow to talk it over with them. Maybe they'll have some in the back I can test with until I find one that works...

GoBears86

Reaction score
Some photos, this camera just takes some practice, but a software fix would be nice.

Attachments

• 2011-09-12_09-30-08_668.jpg
    2011-09-12_09-30-08_668.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 395

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Agreed... I love the camera button on my X. I don't know why they took it away on the X2. :angry: I totally would have gone with the X2 but they took away the button and kept it 3g... >.< I'd take the X1 over X2 any day...

I think I'm going to upgrade the Bionic and see how I live with the camera. =P I'm a photographer and when I don't have my SLR I do use my X and it takes perfect pictures!!! =D I hope with an update I can do the same with the bionic!

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Agreed... I love the camera button on my X. I don't know why they took it away on the X2.
I totally would have gone with the X2 but they took away the button and kept it 3g... :angry: I'd take the X1 over X2 any day...

I think I'm going to upgrade the Bionic and see how I live with the camera. =P I'm a photographer and when I don't have my SLR I do use my X and it takes perfect pictures!!! =D I hope with an update I can do the same with the bionic! =)

pilot12

Reaction score
Have you cleaned off the lens?

and made sure to remove the protective film from the lens of a new phone?
Doubt that's really the problem; some of the pics were focused.
Seems like you got a lemon. Camera might not be perfect on these phones, but most work a LOT better than the OP's.

sevenwords

Reaction score
I don't understand the gripes with the camera quality. Pay the couple bucks for the Vignette app. Problem solved.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Adweber328

Adweber328

Reaction score
I don't understand the gripes with the camera quality. Pay the couple bucks for the Vignette app. Problem solved.

I tried Vignette and Camera360, but that didn't seem to solve the problem. I am hoping I just got a bad phone... I will be going back to Verizon today to try another phone.

Scribble

Reaction score
Why do dogs make such awesome picture subjects? :p

BTW to change the focal point you drag the box around with your finger, tapping different places on the screen doesn't do it.

yiannis

Reaction score
Hello,
Let me start by admitting that I am new to Android, and I know nothing beyond what I've learned on these forums digging around for the past few days.
I'm also not a photographer, and claim no advanced knowledge on picture quality beyond what I've experienced with other phones I've had.

I'm opening this thread as a plea for help, really, since I can only suspect that I'm doing something wrong when I'm taking pictures with my new Bionic.
Before anyone responds with the "It's a phone with a camera, not a camera with a phone" response, I would like to say that I'm not looking to submit any pictures I take for a Pulitzer. Really, I'd just like to be able to see them. And right now, I'm not even getting that.

I've seen some amazing pictures taken from Bionics out there, so I was starting to think that maybe my device was defective. I ran over to my wife, who also has a Bionic, and learned that hers takes pictures of the same caliber that mine does. So unless I got two faulty Bionics, the blame must lie with myself as the camera holder.

So my question is: Is there some trick, or something else that I'm supposed to be doing to get a decent picture out of this thing? I'm using the stock camera app, with default settings. I've tried Camera360 and Vignette, with similar results.
I'm holding the camera steady, waiting for the focus box to turn green, and then taking the picture by tapping the camera shutter icon on the screen.

I took two pictures to use as samples. One is of my dog. This was taken from about 5 feet away, and the dog is not moving. I also tried taking a picture of some instructions on a sheet of paper by holding the phone about 16-24 inches above the paper and taking the shot straight down. There is indirect florescent light on the paper when I took it. Neither photo used the flash.

The dog picture is blurry, and the paper picture is unreadable.

View attachment 40366
View attachment 40367

Any tips, help, suggestions, or the like would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Camera shake.

The camera algorithms decide what shutter speed to use. In low lighting, the shutter will stay open longer to collect enough light.

Try and hold your phone steady with both hands. Alternatively use the flash to freeze the action. I repeat, the only thing wrong with the dog photo is camera shake. The phone might be too heavy or simply awkward to you.

The text photo needs the macro setting enabled for closeups.