Additional battery to attach to the Droid

snowman

Reaction score
tranz, thanks for the link, gotta have the solar charger , pretty cool $29.00 not bad at all

johnflo88

Reaction score
Anyone know of an add-on battery that can safely attach to the Droid to give you extra back-up power during the day? I see people using them for the iPhone, but I do not know of anything for the Droid. My car charger only goes so far on a busy day (since I don't spend all day in a car and I'm often not in an office with my AC charger).
try fommy.com

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Relative to the Sparq, has anyone noticed that it has no warranty at all. At least that is what I get from the invoice and the Zagg warranty page. It appears that at least one person has been unable to get it to work to charge the Droid. We need to post here if there are problems with it and they won't allow a return. It looks like mine will ship today, so I will have to wait to see if it is good. Zagg doesn't get very good ratings on resellerratings.com. Unfortunately, I checked after ordering the Sparq.

DougNg

Reaction score
If you look under "my account" on the Zagg.com page, you'll see your Sparq has a "replace" button. I'm pretty sure you just click that and it be replaced, but I haven't tried that yet

My Sparq works just fine. The plug then plug in again quirk happens on both the Sparqs I havee. Must be a droid thing. No such problem with my bluetooth device or my ipod

TheOldFart

Reaction score
If you look under "my account" on the Zagg.com page, you'll see your Sparq has a "replace" button. I'm pretty sure you just click that and it be replaced, but I haven't tried that yet

My Sparq works just fine. The plug then plug in again quirk happens on both the Sparqs I havee. Must be a droid thing. No such problem with my bluetooth device or my ipod

There are 2 "Replace" buttons. Look at the invoice under "Replacement Status". There can be either a "Replace" in a green box or a "Replace" with a line drawn through it. The latter means one of the following:

• The product is a replacement order.
  • The product has a pending replacement request associated with it.
  • The product does not have a warranty offered by ZAGG.
  • There is a problem with the item in your basket.
  • The product has been refunded and is not eligible for a replacement.
In addition, their warranty page doesn't list the Sparq.

https://www.zagg.com/support/guarantee.php

I certainly hope that I am wrong on this and will be very happy if I am.

On the plugging in the second time thing - I think I also discovered that with a micro USB cable that I bought (not the OEM cable).

DougNg

Reaction score
Are you looking at the replacement status legend or the replacement status?

The replacement status says that it's eligible for replacement

What's more, the Sparq came out a couple weeks ago, I'm not sure the website has caught up with the product yet.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Are you looking at the replacement status legend or the replacement status?

The replacement status says that it's eligible for replacement

What's more, the Sparq came out a couple weeks ago, I'm not sure the website has caught up with the product yet.

Mine shows the one with the line drawn through it. That is probably because it isn't shipped yet, which would make sense. Like I said, I'm happy that I appear to have been wrong on this. I wonder what the warranty is on the Sparq. I didn't realize that it was that new.

DougNg

Reaction score
Oh, it'll show the Replace with the line through it until it ships. It changes to the green one a couple days after it ships

Most of the time, I go with Best Skins Ever because they're cheaper, lately been going with Zagg because there's a kiosk in the mall by my girlfriends house and I make enough money these days that my time is more precious than my money. In my experience in the past though, Zagg never hesitated to send me warranty replacements on any of their products

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Oh, it'll show the Replace with the line through it until it ships. It changes to the green one a couple days after it ships

Most of the time, I go with Best Skins Ever because they're cheaper, lately been going with Zagg because there's a kiosk in the mall by my girlfriends house and I make enough money these days that my time is more precious than my money. In my experience in the past though, Zagg never hesitated to send me warranty replacements on any of their products

I wonder why their rating on resellerratings.com is relatively bad. Normally they are pretty accurate. Perhaps it is because 26 ratings are not statistically accurate. Anyway, the Sparq looks to be just what I want, so I hope it is trouble free. It seems to be the best one of the ones that I have looked at so far, and even $56 is a good price for 6000 mAh. I like the fact that it shows charge remaining too.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
heres one from sedio
Innocell 2600mAh Extended Life Battery

rather pricey i might add
I thought about getting another battery but then you have to open it up and having to take it out of the case I have and buy a another charger for it as well.
I'd consider an extended battery as a replacement rather than a supplement to an existing battery. Hopefully someone will get one soon and post some runtime comparisons.

I decided to try charging the phone again, again using the charger that came with the phone and the generic cable. Guess what? It is charging fine. I'm stumped. Sorry for any bad info.
Compare the current ratings for the two chargers. The one that came with the Droid puts out 850mA. The USB port on a PC is ~500, IIRC. It's been discussed quite a bit in many other threads on chargers.

I wonder why their rating on resellerratings.com is relatively bad. Normally they are pretty accurate. Perhaps it is because 26 ratings are not statistically accurate.
Probably. 26 isn't that many reviews. FWIW, I've never had problems with Zagg but I have seen posts complaining about shipping times.

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I decided to try charging the phone again, again using the charger that came with the phone and the generic cable. Guess what? It is charging fine. I'm stumped. Sorry for any bad info.
Compare the current ratings for the two chargers. The one that came with the Droid puts out 850mA. The USB port on a PC is ~500, IIRC. It's been discussed quite a bit in many other threads on chargers.

The thing is that the first time I tried that cable it was with the 850 mA Droid charger and it would not work. If I remember correctly, I even unplugged it and plugged it in again. Then I tried it with the USB port. Then the second time I tried it with the Droid charger, it worked, but I think that it only worked when I plugged it into the phone first and then into the charger that was already plugged into the wall. I'm not sure of the plug in sequence, but it did not work the first time that I used it with the Droid charger. I'll have to play around with it. I don't use the phone much, so I only charge it about every 3 days. It charges fine with the 800 mA Verizon charger. The charger that came with my Motorola H715 bluetooth is only 500 mA, so I will try it with that next time to see if it requires more than 500 mA, but it is fully charged right now. I use the 800 mA charger the most.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I just charged my Droid with the 500mA charger that came with my H715 and it worked fine, just a little slower. The claims that the Droid will not charge at 500 mA are not correct. Next time I will try it using the USB port and the cable that came with the Droid.

Edit: I just looked at that charger again. It is 550 mA. I'll have to try it on the USB port next.

Second edit: I just charged my Droid using a USB port on my Dell Vostro 1400 and a 1.5 ft micro USB cable from monoprice and it fully charged from 30% to 100%. It took about twice as long as it does using the 850 mA charger that came with the Droid, but it did charge. Therefore it is my experience that the assertion that the Droid will not charge from a USB port is wrong.

Last edited: