2.2.6 Froyo Deodexed and Themed

teenfaces

Reaction score
2.6.32.9 Froyo Deodexed and Themed

First of all you should already have a rooted version of Droid X Froyo 2.6.32.9 running Koush's ClockWork Recovery! This is not for poeple running 2.1 !!!!! Go to the other thread for putting rooted froyo on your X first, then come back here for the themed statusbar.
This is a completely deodexed version of froyo 2.6.32.9 . This will not work if you are not deodexed. The following directions will deodex your froyo droid x build. I had up a nandroid earlier and the links were taken down pretty quickly. Make a nandroid backup before you do this in case you mess up. I am not responsible for your actions!!! If you get stuck, pull your battery and boot into bootloader by pressing camera, volume down and power at the same time. Now plug in your usb cord and press the power button. Your phone will power off. Now press and hold power button and the logo will come on...let it load clockwork recovery will come up next. Now restore your backup....

Here are the system dumps to deodex your froyo 2.6.32.9...

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: app.zip

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: framework.zip

I need mirrors for these links they won't last long! extract the folders and put them in your sdk tools directory and follow the code below. If your phone won't reboot pull the battery. It will take a while to rebuild the dalvik cache so let it load. You must perform a factory reset from your privacy settings to resign into google servers after this! DO NOT DATA WIPE FROM RECOVERY!!! only use factory reset from privacy settings.

code:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cd system/app
rm -r *
exit
adb push app system/app
adb shell
cd system/framework
rm -r *
exit
adb push framework system/framework
reboot

froyosmoked4.png

froyosmoked3.png

Seano

Reaction score
can this also be done using terminal emulator?

OP
T

teenfaces

Reaction score
can this also be done using terminal emulator?

It is a lot more tedious that way. I would have my nandroid backup ready. The copy code would look like this. cp -r /sdcard/app/ * /system/app and the same with the framework.. cp -r /sdcard/framework/ * /system/framework

OP
T

teenfaces

Reaction score
If you already have a rooted 2.2 running on your Droid X, use this nandroid and restore in ClockWork Recovery. After restore, you need to go into settings/privacy and do a factory reset. The reboot will take a while. Reactivate your phone by selecting option (1) at the prompt and sign back into Google and you will be good to go. DO NOT FACTORY RESET IN RECOVERY! ONLY USE PRIVACY SETTINGS FACTORY RESET!

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2010-08-24.09.08.31.zip

hacku

Reaction score
Thanks for all the hard work TF. I read in another forum that the permissions were wrong on this nandroid. Is this still the case or did they get fixed?

InfamousDX

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance but what is the point of this if I'm already rooted 2.2 ? Is it just a different theme?

tobytl

Reaction score
I'll put in a slightly more in depth explanation. The Dalvik VM has a native executable format, DEX (Dalvik EXecutable), which all java byte-code is compiled into. This is the base code, as it is distributed, within the APK files. Dalvik also allows for hardware specific shortcuts that can make it faster on a given hardware platform (at which point, that code will only run correctly on that hardware). These are ODEX files (Optimized Dalvik EXecutable). The speed gains with ODEX are questionable, and newer, faster, hardware is making it more and more of a moot point. It does change the way the files are cached, but again, newer handsets are coming out with larger cache and higher speed NAND, so may not be important anymore. The catch is, these ODEX files are optimized to such an extent that it makes modifying them practically impossible (ie: themeing).

In general all vendor supplied roms are ODEXed, but there are exceptions (DroidX 2.1 stock was shipped DeODEXed for some reason).

To sum up:
ODEX=May run faster, depending on hardware. Certainly caches more efficiently. The files themselves CANNOT be themed, or changed in any meaningful way.

DeODEX=Back to the base DEX code. May run slower, depending on hardware. Caches the same way as all android code. But the files can be easily themed and modified.

EDIT:I can't spell to save my life.... Had to staunch the red squiggly blood bath...

Natemz

Reaction score
Excellent explaination. Thank you. Makes sense.

Also, I just deodexd my DX today and I see no slow noticeable slow down at all

rustyp2

Reaction score
What is ODEXED and DEODEXED, and why is it important to me? I am root and Froyo 2.2.

cgrimm9

Reaction score
If you already have a rooted 2.2 running on your Droid X, use this nandroid and restore in ClockWork Recovery. After restore, you need to go into settings/privacy and do a factory reset. The reboot will take a while. Reactivate your phone by selecting option (1) at the prompt and sign back into Google and you will be good to go. DO NOT FACTORY RESET IN RECOVERY! ONLY USE PRIVACY SETTINGS FACTORY RESET!

I can skip the first post and just install this nand backup to my phone and my theme will be changed?

tobytl

Reaction score

I can skip the first post and just install this nand backup to my phone and my theme will be changed?

That's the way I understand it. I did the adb setup, so I can't say for sure, but that's the way I read the post.

It'll also be easier, as you won't have to wait 30 minutes in between downloading the app file and the framework file... Hotfile *shakes fist in mock indignation* :D