Z4 Root question for Dx

droidx2010

Reaction score
I got this app to load up w/ no problem and even see my wireless connection on my laptop when I click the wifi tether.

My problem is that I can't get my laptop to do anything with the connection. When I try to connect to it, I just keep getting a msg. that it is unable to connect.

I'm able to tap into other wireless connections in the area with no problem but can't seem to get mine to work.

Any suggestions?

bluskyline21

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Z4root has nothing to do with tethering. It only roots your phone. Tethering is mostly being blocked by the carriers anyways. It's been in the news for the past month or so.. Source.

Last edited:
OP
D

droidx2010

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Z4root has nothing to do with tethering. It only roots your phone. Tethering is mostly being blocked by the carriers anyways. It's been in the news for the past month or so.. Source.
I misspoke. I downloaded Z4root but also downloaded the WiFi Tether app. That was what i really was trying to say but seriously missed my own point.

Is there any way to get the WiFi Tether to work?

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
Just asking did you root your phone first? And are you giving it su?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Taylor93

Reaction score
If you downloaded a tether app, you need to give it superuser privelages for it to even begin to work. Secondly, it sounds like you downloaded z4 root thinking it roots auto matically, it dosen't. If you downloaded it as an apk you need to install it, which requires a app installer program. (HERE)

If you are installed and rooted, ignore that link. Moving on.

If your rooted and your tethering isin't working, try another app. Most apps from the market are blocked or are unworking. If you don't think its your app, go into your tether setting set up a WEP and try again. Try tethering your 3G and wifi. If it still dosen't work get another app. Theres a good thread on tethering some where on these forums I'm sure.

OP
D

droidx2010

Reaction score
If you downloaded a tether app, you need to give it superuser privelages for it to even begin to work. Secondly, it sounds like you downloaded z4 root thinking it roots auto matically, it dosen't. If you downloaded it as an apk you need to install it, which requires a app installer program. (HERE)

If your rooted and your tethering isin't working, try another app. Most apps from the market are blocked or are unworking. If you don't think its your app, go into your tether setting set up a WEP and try again. Try tethering your 3G and wifi. If it still dosen't work get another app. Theres a good thread on tethering some where on these forums I'm sure.

Ok - here are the specifics:

I have appinstaller
I downloaded z4 Root
I installed z4 Root (didn't need appinstaller)
I have superuser access
I downloaded WiFi Tether
I installed WiFi Tether
I activate WiFi Tether and allow access to my laptop
I see my wireless connection on my laptop
When I click directly on the connection, I get a message that it's unable to connect.
What other WiFi thether apps are there? I only saw this one & a friend sent me an app & it was the same exact app.

Do you have a link for another app?

Last edited:

droidxethan

Reaction score
3g mobile hotspot. u should be paying for ur tethering anyways..

J

JriderG

Are you running gingerbread leak?

Taylor93

Reaction score

I have appinstaller
I downloaded z4 Root
I have superuser access
I downloaded WiFi Tether
I installed WiFi Tether
When I click directly on the connection, I get a message that it's unable to connect.
What other WiFi thether apps are there? I only saw this one & a friend sent me an app & it was the same exact app.

Humm well... I know verizon is able to block tethering on most devices, that may be the problem. Other than that I have no idea. I don't mess with tethering too much. I think theres a link to a tether app in a post root thread i read a week ago.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

I have appinstaller
I downloaded z4 Root
I have superuser access
I downloaded WiFi Tether
I installed WiFi Tether

I'm still running the tether apps I got from the Google site. I always find a version that works. Sometimes when I change ROMs, the one I'd been using doesn't work so I uninstall and try another until I find one that works.
I got all mine from here: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

J

JriderG

In my opinion u should not have to pay for it. That is sort of ridiculous.

J

JriderG

If your not on gingerbread, I don't really know. You are running tether for root I would assume. I have had problems using that app also. Usually I just turn airplane mode on then off and that sometimes helps.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
In my opinion u should not have to pay for it. That is sort of ridiculous.

and with that mentality....VZW should not allow you to do it then....which is the point. If we, and I say we meaning as a community, keep "stealing" (which is how VZW see's it) then they are going to remove the ability. Then you don't have to worry about paying for it because you wont be doing it.

What apps have you tried for the tethering? More than the one right?