Newbee here; DX to Linksys Router question

Ronsdeal

Reaction score
I live in a very remote area that doesn't have DSL or Broadband. I have installed a hughesnet satalite system for internet, but it is slow and expensive. I am told that I can get VZ digital voice and data coverage here at my home.
My plan is to get a DX, and if I can, use pdanet or ? to connect the DX to my puter. My question is there a way to connect the DX to a router, so as to run 2 computers? One is my wireless laptop the 2nd one is my wifes desktop. The Linksys has an ethernet input.
Thanks

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There's an app that allows you to use he dx as a wifie hotspot, but it requires an additional monthly charge. Might very well be worth it though. I had Hughesnet for a little while. I feel your pain.

I haven't used the wifi hotspot app, so I can't give you much insight as to whether you can use the phone to connect the desktop to the internet while connecting your laptop via wifi.

Emitted from X.

DroidX101

Reaction score
if your rooted, you can download wifi tether and you can connect several pc's. I have used it many times, and its free
and welcome to the board! have fun

OP
R

Ronsdeal

Reaction score
Thanks all [I feel welcome!!]

DroidX101, If I get a new X, [maybe this week], will that X be rooted? or will I have to do that?
Also, with a purchase of pdanet, how can I connect my X to the router that takes an ethernet connection?

I will also be getting my wife a phone, [50 and has never had one] and can also get her a android with the unlimited data plan, so she can connect to her puter.
Thanks Again!

DroidX101

Reaction score
DroidX101, If I get a new X, [maybe this week], will that X be rooted? or will I have to do that?
Also, with a purchase of pdanet, how can I connect my X to the router that takes an ethernet connection?

I will also be getting my wife a phone, [50 and has never had one] and can also get her a android with the unlimited data plan, so she can connect to her puter.
Thanks Again!

you will have to root it yourself, I use the universal androot, it's a 1 push button root. If I'm not mistaken, you have to have 2.1 to use it. I used to use pdanet, but now with all the rooting, you can use wireless tether, and connect up to 5 wireless devices for free. I'm not sure that you can use the X to go thru a router then to pc's or whatever. When using pdanet, you just hook up to the usb cable then to your pc and plus you have to have it on the pc your connecting. Hope this answered your question.

edit: also, when using wireless tether, you phone becomes the "mobile Hotspot", or like the wireless linksys router. So there is no need for you to go thru the router. I've only used pdanet by connecting with the cable. Havent tried using bluetooth.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ronsdeal

Reaction score
Kiddos

Thanks, I don't have a droid ...yet.
YET, I am learning a ton, doing a research, and am planning a "mode of attack" after I do the deal.

Thanks to all!:icon_ banana: