Your take on the best moto droid ROM

freshsta42

Reaction score
I would like to hear peoples opinions on what is the best ROM to use. This could be for overall general purpose, or your specific situation.

Please have a pros and cons section to make this a little more organized and complete.
Thank you to everyone who discusses!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
CyanogenMod 6

It's available for a wide variety of hardware, but that's not what you were asking about.

Pros: Stock-like feel so it's easy for newbies to switch to. Longer-term development cycle means you're not getting a new version every few days and have to set your phone back up constantly -- conversely, there's a new nightly build to try every night if you like living on the edge. Stability is top-notch. Also, the ability to change every single aspect within your phone's capability is astounding. The power widget alone is worth the price of admission. It's readily themed. It's fast with the stock kernel. Compcache is supported.

Cons: It's very vanilla -- it's not for someone who wants scripts and WOW factor. The options and choices are overwhelming for some people who just want their phone to run. Installation of the Google app pack is a separate step, for legal reasons, and that adds to the complexity of the ROM install -- though it's just a simple update.zip install -- and has had people flashing back because they lost their Market and Twitter and suchlike. Updates taking weeks can mean some people get bored and flash on another ROM. At the moment Bluetooth Voice Dial is broken and requires installing a previous version's .apk file, but that should be fixed in the next release. Compcache support requires a kernel with it built in (not all are) and seems to be a bit weak at the moment.

Codiusprie

Reaction score
I would suggest searching the forums, this thread probably pops up at least twice a week. Every rom will have advantages and disadvantages for certain users. A rom that runs perfect on your phone might run horribly on someone elses. Just do some research and experiment, if you have rom manager it is super easy to switch out roms in no time at all.

illmatic636

Reaction score
I use UltimateDroid 8. Its stable, fast, and is the only Froyo rom out there with the rotary lockscreen and awsome battery life.

mtz_gto

Reaction score
If you want the best room download Simply Stunning 4.7!

Best features and the best battery life with the best kernals!

doctordoctor

Reaction score
I ran Cyanogen but it ran like poop on my droid like ... With that said I tried out Liquid since it first came out and I haven't changed it yet!!! No issues what so ever with the ROM. I love it though I do miss the ability to customize things like I could on CM6. I am much happier now that 928droid black glass theme is on liquid but Galaxy-S was awesome too.
So if you are in a blue mood go with galaxy or in a red mood go black glass.
I have heard good things about Ultimate Droid but haven't pulled the trigger yet. But one of these days I will get bored and bold and go for a tryout with UD.

Sal R.

Reaction score
I had the highest quadrant scores w/ LFY @800 (compared to BB, CM, Sapp, etc.). It is fast, stable, and everything worked.

One of the best ROMs I've ever used.

mtz_gto

Reaction score
youll find all the different roms have differnet features, some good some bad, some working some not.

my fav is adw (can be added to any rom as a home replacement) but i love
the adw integration and features of simply stunning 4.7

try'em all :)

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
CM6 and UD8 are the top notch ROMs, and others are nice but really don't compare. I don't care about fancy quadrant scores or anything, just saying these ROMs run quick and smooth and they have so many additional customizations and hacks. No others compare.

CM6 ftw

xliderider

Reaction score
Never ran most of the roms mentioned above, but my Droid ran great on Sapphire 1.1.1, with good battery life, low temps, before I got my Fascinate.

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
My phone runs best with Sapphire 1.1.1. good Battery life, no bugs, very minimal screen redraws, no force closes.

UD8 had my phone force. closing many apps, redrawing the screen constantly, I didn't even give the battery life a chance as i reinstalled sapphire shortly after using it. That being said the rotary lock screen was cool and my issues may have been able to be worked out with some elbow grease

noo_too_droid

Reaction score
UD8 had my phone force. closing many apps, redrawing the screen constantly
if you have force close problems then run 'fix permissions' script, it might help.

as for me ud8.0 is easily my fav with cm6 coming in as a distant 2nd. i find that i can get any rom to run smoothly by adjusting the kernel accordingly. But ud8 and cm6 easily have the most customizations. i think ud has all but a few the customizations; the only major difference is cm6 has the power control widget customization (which i do love) but i especially love the rotary lock screen from ud. also for ud you can disable bootanimation for (supposedly) faster boots. also i think erasing native apps is a little easier on ud8. also a cool home screen is gde home-it gives you a 3d/cube homescreen option (not app drawer)

Reaction score
UD8 had my phone force. closing many apps, redrawing the screen constantly
if you have force close problems then run 'fix permissions' script, it might help.

as for me ud8.0 is easily my fav with cm6 coming in as a distant 2nd. i find that i can get any rom to run smoothly by adjusting the kernel accordingly. But ud8 and cm6 easily have the most customizations. i think ud has all but a few the customizations; the only major difference is cm6 has the power control widget customization (which i do love) but i especially love the rotary lock screen from ud. also for ud you can disable bootanimation for (supposedly) faster boots. also i think erasing native apps is a little easier on ud8. also a cool home screen is gde home-it gives you a 3d/cube homescreen option (not app drawer)

The reason cm6 and ud run so similarly is because ud is just a kang of cm and a few other roms.