Early Upgrade + D3 = Questions for my Android Family :)

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Ok. So, I am up for an early upgrade, as stated above. I'm currently using my OG Droid that I've had since 4 days after launch. I've been reading about and keeping track of the D3 pretty much ever since the first scent of it has been leaked/talked about. I am in love with this phone and I haven't even touched it yet. I'll be going into a VZW store pretty soon to take one for a test drive for a little while. Anywho, even though I'm pretty deadset on getting the Droid 3, I would like to know what everyone likes (pros) and what everyone hates (cons) about the Droid 3. Just please don't argue over it. And give your sincere and honest opinions and elaborate on why you like or dislike certain features. A simple "this sucks," "that's stupid and useless," or "I don't like this/that/those." I would like to know why. Thank you! :) Keep it civil, y'all.

Sent from my Alfonso-Baked GingerDroid

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pro's:
- DEFINITELY the keyboard. Oh man.. coming from the OG Droid as well with the horrible, but still tolerable, plastic-y like keyboard this is a HUGE upgrade. Easy to press down, nicely spaced out, great layout. Takes a bit of time to get used to the shift in the keys, though. :)
- 4" screen. Hey, 3.7 was small. 4.3(to me) is to big. 4", juuuust right.
- qHD looks great!
- Pentile screen saves battery and looks great in the sun.
- Colors on the screen look more realistic to me versus a Super Amoled screen which I think is sometimes over brightened and colors over exaggerated(mini-con: doesn't pop out as much, though). But that could be personal preference.
-1080p video.
- Design looks great to me! And great feel in the hand.
- Front Facing Camera
- UI looks a lot better. I use Go Launcher, though.

Cons:
- Pentile screen, but just barely! You will rarely notice some dumb extra pixelation.. only if whatever you're looking at is already pretty bad, though. Don't listen to the, "you can notice it if you look really close" thing. No you can't, then the screen just looks all blurry to your eyes anyway and you can't see anything.
- Lack of 4G. This would have put this phone on the map.. now, it's just kind of here. Sucks because it's a great upgrade from the Droid 1 and 2. Hopefully the Droid 4 will be right on track. I don't have 4G here for a few months anyway so I'm not affected by it, but it'd be nice to have it when it is here.
- Camera has a blue tint to it unless you install a different camera app.
- No root, yet. :(
- Copy and paste kind of sucks on the browser(only the browser).. I don't know why. If I want to copy the text, it either doesn't let me adjust what text I want sometimes, or it copies the link hidden in the text instead.

*Take note the cons aren't a big deal to me.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
+1 for the D3. I bought my daughter the D3 and I played around with it for awhile before I gave it back to her (hehehe) and its pretty good I think. But to each is his own right? Good luck...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why do our pros and cons matter unless you're buying one for each of us? It's your pros and cons that you need to use to shop with.

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Darn enter button... I know it's my pros and cons that matter the most. I would just like to know what others think about it. It will give me more of an open mind of what ALL to look for in that particular phone. Since my D1 popped my smartphone "cherry," I don't know everything there is to know. I know my uses are different from other people's uses, but I would like to learn what other people use their Droids for just in case I didn't think of it. Does that make sense? I'm just asking opinions. No harm in that, right?

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Darn enter button... I know it's my pros and cons that matter the most. I would just like to know what others think about it. It will give me more of an open mind of what ALL to look for in that particular phone. Since my D1 popped my smartphone "cherry," I don't know everything there is to know. I know my uses are different from other people's uses, but I would like to learn what other people use their Droids for just in case I didn't think of it. Does that make sense? I'm just asking opinions. No harm in that, right?

Pay no attention to that remark and ur questions of what others think is fine. All in all it would be how th e device works out for u. So go out and shop shop shop! :icon_ banana:

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
To BenLane150 (hope I spelled it right), 4G isn't a big deal for me. Honestly, I couldn't care less. I don't keep track of it, I don't know what the plans are for my area, and I've heard that it drains battery BAD. Plus, where I live (in a friggin' valley), I barely get 3G. Plus I use WiFi non-stop while at home anyway. So, as other people have said, lack of 4G is not a deal-breaker for me. And yes, I'm all giddy (yes, giddy) about the revamped keyboard, dual-core, and the FFC. Although, I've read that there aren't many Videochat apps for it. Even though, I'm sure there will be plenty in the near future and it will allow me to videochat with my girlfriend while she's off at college. :) And about no root: I wouldn't root the D3 as soon as I got it anyway, even if devs had over a million ROMs for it. I said this in a different post as well. I want to "drive the wheels off of it" first. Get the taste of its freshness in my mouth (not trying to sound disgusting). You know what I mean. I don't want the bloatware, but I also don't want to void the warranty. And the warranty is more important to me.

To Hawaii, how does your daughter like the D3? I'm only 19, so I figured I might be able to get some input from someone closer to my age, in addition to seasoned Droid veterans. :)

kabeeo

Reaction score
I have a D3 and love it. The keyboard is fantastic, the interface is improved and I think its the best Android out there. You should be aware, however, that I have a weird text messaging thing going on where I get an error message to every text saying that it wasn't sent even though it was. Can't figure it out and neither can Verizon.

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Oh, and the HDMI. I'm excited about that, also. And what about Motoblur? I've heard good and bad about it, but I'm not exactly well knowledged on what it IS exactly. Besides Motorola's UI skin. I've heard that it's been revamped and 'far' superior to Motoblur on the D2 and D2G. I know you, Hawaii, had a D2G so I guess that question(s) is directed towards you. :) I never grasped the concept of it.

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I have a D3 and love it. The keyboard is fantastic, the interface is improved and I think its the best Android out there. You should be aware, however, that I have a weird text messaging thing going on where I get an error message to every text saying that it wasn't sent even though it was. Can't figure it out and neither can Verizon.

Thanks, kabeeo. I'll keep that in mind. Is it anything like me sending a text to my girlfriend, phone saying it didn't send, resending about 5 - 10 times, it finally sending, and turns out I send her about 5 - 10 of the same texts?

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I keep saying Hawaii... I'm sorry. I mean "Hawaiian." I try to keep my names straight. :p

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
oh she's 17 and her first smart phone. so showed her around how to navigate a little. she will get more info here as others have posted with issues, tips and tricks

ALOHA from Hawaii

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
oh she's 17 and her first smart phone. so showed her around how to navigate a little. she will get more info here as others have posted with issues, tips and tricks

ALOHA from Hawaii

Ok, cool. I guess there's no better way to start someone out on an Android unless it's the best one out there, huh?

Sent from my Alfonso-baked GingerDroid

OP
cobravnm13

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Another thing I just thought about: how much RAM does the D3 have?

Sent from my Alfonso-baked GingerDroid