Leaving iPhone for a Droid. Suggestions?

mdslammer

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had it with ATT and the iPhone. Been drooling over the Thunderbolt and just yesterday, the Charge. The battery issue seems to plague both phones but I've heard there is a larger battery that can be installed for longer use.
I also hear rumors that a new Droid called the Revelation was about to be released this month on the 26th.

Anyway, I'm looking for a fast 4G phone and so far these two are at the top of the list.
Pros/Cons would be helpful in my decision from those of you who already own either one.

Also, any other info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Finally, the price for the phones is about $50.00 less online than in the stores here in Las Vegas, NV. Have most of you found this to be true of your area or just here in NV?

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

Best.

Mark

ThaUrbanMyth

Reaction score
yah, first suggestion, don't go back to an iphone. Second suggestion. If you want 4G and want to switch to verizon. you only have a few choices right now. I personally like motorola/HTC droids. The main differences are how the phone interacts with you. HTC and motorolas have different user interfaces. In terms of performance? They are all going to be pretty similar. You'll want to look for specific features you like in your phone. ie Physical size (too big or clunky) camera preferences, on board and upgradable memory (ie SDCard) Most important to me is the size of the display and performance, play with each one at a store as much as you can to get an idea of which one you like the most... Everyone will have opinions, but any decision you make will be a good one. Just make sure YOU like the phone. I personally went for the DROID X2... DUALCORE!!! but yah it's not 4G. Don't have 4G in my area for another year or so. hope this helps.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
This is all IMO:

A low price, great phone- Droid X/2
A great 4G phone- Droid Charge or Thunderbolt
A great dual processor phone- X2
The latest and arguably greatest- Droid Charge
Great HTC Sense phone- Incredible 2/ TB

And there are plenty more great Android Phones, but these are the more popular.

Last edited:

ThaUrbanMyth

Reaction score
This is all IMO:

A low price, great phone- Droid X/2
A good 4G phone- Droid Charge or Thunderbolt
A good dual processor phone- X2
The latest and arguably greatest- Droid Charge
Great HTC Sense phone- Incredible 2/ TB

And there are plenty more great Android Phones, but these are the more popular.

+1

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
But if I were you, I would get the X2.

It has excellent build quality, and great call quality. (assuming the quality is the same or better than the X1's.
It isn't 4G though, but also comes with dual core processors.

I can't upgrade until late 2012, but if I could, id get it.
Good luck with whatever you decide on though.

gennie

Reaction score
Me too! I left att, iPhone. Love the Droid!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DroidForums

ThaUrbanMyth

Reaction score
But if I were you, I would get the X2.

I agree I got the x2 just a few days ago. I would have sprung for the 4G phones If I was a data hog ie... Youtube all day downloading all the time or for teathering. Thats not me if you want a bad a$$ phone go for the x2.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
Get the thunderbolt. I played with the charge, just a nice screen that's it. Revolution was cool too, but again it's not a thunderbolt.

Battery is bad but I have extended and I have automatic brightness, a wall paper that eats battery, and plenty of widgets to drain my battery and I go full day and some more.

Htc makes the best phones. The most solid build too the charge feels and looks cheap.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Best all around droids right now:

-Droid Charge
-Htc incredible 2
-Droid X (not dx2)
-Fascinate (if you want to spend alot of time and risk to get it to work properly. Its great once you hack the hell out if it. Might as well get the Charge. I do love my fascinate though)

Sent from my fascinate

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Coming from an iPhone I have to say htc provides the best user interface and provide the user with a great Android experience. The thunderbolt battery issue can be overcome with the extended.battery. And I am sure VZW will have a fix for the random reboot issues because they will not want to keep replacing devices because of software. Now if you can wait the Samsung function may be the phone you are looking for. The function is suppose to be the VZW version of the Samsung galaxy s 2, which is arguably the best Android device out.

sent from droidforums app

OP
M

mdslammer

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your info and taking time to post.

I went with the Thunderbolt. WOW!!!! Awesome. The battery that comes
with this worked out OK. But I did get the larger one and installed it a few
days ago.
Plenty of battery power now.
I'm happy I made this choice and would recommend it to anyone else.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I actually was only seconds from getting the TB or dinc2 but thought I should try em out first b4 I buy. Before trying em out, i thought the charge was just plain ugly but after playing with it, I want it to be my next droid.

It feels much more solid than the dinc or the TB and I really liked the UI. The display quality was outstanding compared to the other two, although the TB's ran a close second. The dinc2's screen seemed much smaller and is only slightly larger than my dinc1. The LG revolution's display was horrible IMO. Rather than being clear and bright, the LG was very dull and had a matte like appearance. I was so disappointed in the LG rev's display that I very quickly disqualified that phone from my choices.

The TB touch screen was very unresponsive. Could be from many people playing with it over the past few months but I had to touch items on the screen really hard or more than once to get it to respond.

The charge also has an hdmi out which the other two don't have.

One thing I really liked about the charge was the physical buttons on the bottom rather than touch buttons. It drives me nuts that I am accidentally activating the search, home, back and menu buttons just because I happen to touch them. with the charge, that will never happen. Some people will not like that feature but for me, it scores!

The other thing I liked about the charge was the stock home screens. I really like htc's sense interface but I never use it because the bottom dock is useless... only 2 options, phone and app drawer. It actually has a third which is to add shortcuts and widgets to the home screen but how often do you need to access that... barely ever. So on my dinc I use another home launcher just so I can have a useful dock. The charge has a dock with the four most used apps and it may even be customizable but not sure.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, the charge dock is customizable.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

phonearena

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had it with ATT and the iPhone. Been drooling over the Thunderbolt and just yesterday, the Charge. The battery issue seems to plague both phones but I've heard there is a larger battery that can be installed for longer use.
I also hear rumors that a new Droid called the Revelation was about to be released this month on the 26th.

Anyway, I'm looking for a fast 4G phone and so far these two are at the top of the list.
Pros/Cons would be helpful in my decision from those of you who already own either one.

Also, any other info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Finally, the price for the phones is about $50.00 less online than in the stores here in Las Vegas, NV. Have most of you found this to be true of your area or just here in NV?

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

Best.

Mark

i highly recommend the HTC Sensation 4G. powered by a 1.2 GHz dual-core processor, it is arguably one of the fastest 4G smartphones in the market. it runs android 2.3, features a sharp and vivid 4.3 inches qHD screen, an 8-megapixed camera with two led flashes and 1080p full HD video capture and a front-facing camera, and it is all packed within a unique unibody construction.

tekhinator

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the Droid bionic but since there is no sign of it ever coming out I would go for the tb. Although the Droid charge is also an excellent device the choice is yours.

Sent from my Fascination using DForums

Last edited: