Best Rom for the Eris

txarsoncop

Reaction score
Supposedly the 'most current' IDK which version that is though.

My phone info states:

Baseband version: 2.40.00.01.22

Kernel version: 2.6.29-564a4a15

Build number: 2.26.605.4

Software number: 2.26.605.4

I'm as much of a nOOb as ya'll so I don't really know which of the above is the most important, I do surmise that if your value(s) is/are higher than mine than you very well may have a newer leak version.

I rooted my phone on 3/25.

TDianna

Reaction score
Never mind. I read in the forums that if I root my phone it would be impossible to receive the OTA when it comes out so I am staying where I am...why mess with it if it ain't broke!

txarsoncop

Reaction score
Not exactly...

Not true, because IF you created your Nandroid backup, as is strongly recommended, BEFORE you slam your phone with a ROM you can restore your phone back to where it is now.

If all you do is root your phone without monkeying with the OS then it won't affect your OTA updates.

Also, I believe the OTA updates are specifically disabled with the 'all-in-one-rootscript' and most other ROMs because the typical hack/user isn't going to want to wake up one morning to find their phone completely discombobulated.

Rooting your phone just gives you access to files/folders you don't normally have access to, although their isn't much point in rooting if you are going to experiment with custom ROMs.

I've been meaning to try something else but GrdLock's has been super stable so far.

bill

TDianna

Reaction score
I think GrdLock all-in-one is for 1.5/6 user's. I have sprite backup but I will try the Nandroid backup. Is that in the market?

txarsoncop

Reaction score
It may be best if you muddle your way through this thread over at XDA Developers forum.

This is what I read to understand (as much as possible for a blockhead) the root & upgrade to 2.1 process.

I'm not completely positive where Nandroid came from. I did not d/l it and I didn't use the 'all-in-one-rootscript.' I did it manually so I could try to understand what was going on and so I could say 'I' did it. It's either already in the phones or it was part of one of the downloads.

Any rooted 2.1 Erises can go back to 1.5 per here. Complete with instructions and downloads.

bill

TDianna

Reaction score
Bill,

Thank you for the link but I think I am going to stay where I am at right now.
My Eris is working well and I am going to wait for the OTA to be released and I understand my phone should receive the update.

"Don't fix it if it's not broke"

PRince

Reaction score
I've been reading a bunch of these donload threads and kind of going along the "if it ain't broke idea" until I read on this thread that you can still recieve the OTA if everything is backed up, it's free and totally safe (as long as you follow the instructions on the sticky saved in this section?)

so can you guys explain your lingo to the total block-head to computers.
Like the only time i plugged my own into my laptop was to upload music when I first bought it and to charge my battery

So like what's a rom and all?

oopslolz

Reaction score
I use Evil Eris v1.1 and it's amazing.

I'm glad I stick with the xda boards for info. Nobody hear seems to know a whole lot about dev work or ROMs except the people who referenced XDA. It's sad.

PRince

Reaction score

I'm glad I stick with the xda boards for info. Nobody hear seems to know a whole lot about dev work or ROMs except the people who referenced XDA. It's sad.

what the heck is a rom? I just put one on my gbcoid thing to get some old games from some1 free rom website. But still have no idea what it actually is

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
A videogame rom is a file that contains all the data that was originally on a game cartridge.

The rom we are talking about is a file(s) that contains all the data of a phones operating system. Different roms can have different features, versions, tweaks, etc.

oopslolz

Reaction score

what the heck is a rom? I just put one on my gbcoid thing to get some old games from some1 free rom website. But still have no idea what it actually is

I rest my case. There is way too much misinformation on here it's unbelievable.

zetterberg

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I am not happy with Verizon. Android was developed by Google as an alternative to the IPON' s Locked down operatiing system. That has been the greatest thing about Android phones. Then Verizon starts out with thier Android Phones with the same attitude as ATT and Apple. Lock it Down. So in my opinion they are doing the same thing that has kept people away from the IPON' . Needless to say the Brains have Rooted the Eris even if it was locked by the former unhackable Leaked Rom. So XDA has everything you need.