Friend got a new Droid x2. Path that got us here:

1. rooted using Gingerbreak

2. installed Titanium Backup, and removed "unused" programs

3. contacts now force closes

4. titanium backup won't restore missing system apps

5a. get copy of x2 /app/ directory from here:
Droid X2 system dump, wallpapers, ringtones - Android Forums
5b. copied all files from .zip above into a new directory
5c. copied all files from my droid x2s /app/ directory into directory from above, overwriting any that already exist
5d. copy the combined files back to my x2's /app/ directory

6. reboot... again and again and again

<edit>
7. tried a hard reset with no change
</edit>

I'm guessing it's a permissions issue... but is there any way out of it? other than waiting for a .sbf?

Last edited:
OP
P

pointnumberone

Reaction score
When booting the x2 in 'fastboot' mode, it shows up in Windows as "mot single adb interface", however, "adb devices" doesn't list any...

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try booting into recovery and factory resetting.

Probably won't work but it doesn't hurt to try.

Other than that you're looking at adb thru recovery mode, finding everything you borked and manually resetting the permissions. Which I might add may not be possible (not sure if you can get adb working this way on this device) it might be salvageable, but unless factory reset works, it won't be easy.

Sent from my DROID X2

EDIT: I found you a hail mary type play, again no idea if it'll work but you screwed up pretty bad so I'm just trying to help.

Motorola Global Repair Tool http://globalrepairtools.motorola.com/serviceandrepair/device/index/en-us/softwareupdate/

Last edited:
OP
P

pointnumberone

Reaction score
Try booting into recovery and factory resetting.

Probably won't work but it doesn't hurt to try.

Other than that you're looking at adb thru recovery mode, finding everything you borked and manually resetting the permissions. Which I might add may not be possible (not sure if you can get adb working this way on this device) it might be salvageable, but unless factory reset works, it won't be easy.

Sent from my DROID X2

EDIT: I found you a hail mary type play, again no idea if it'll work but you screwed up pretty bad so I'm just trying to help.

Motorola Global Repair Tool http://globalrepairtools.motorola.com/serviceandrepair/device/index/en-us/softwareupdate/

Thanks for the help... Sadly, we even tried the hail mary last night. We've been unable to connect using adb... I think we're stuck until a SBF file is available. He's using his og droid for now.

OP
P

pointnumberone

Reaction score
Progress? I guess we are able to (attempt to) run an update.zip file... but the update.zip file I found online saying it was for an x2 was actually for the original droid X.

Does anyone think it's possible to create my own update.zip file for the x2 that resets permissions on the files I copied over?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are stuck till SBF is leaked. ROM's I dont think will even help at this point without CWM

Snow02

Reaction score
You copied files from the sd card to your system apps folder and didn't set permissions before rebooting? Smh. A factory reset really should fix that though.

Just take it back to verizon. They won't be able to boot it to see that it's rooted so you should be fine.

psouza4

Reaction score
If you can manage to get ADB (try recovery key on boot, maybe?), I bet you it's the permissions in your /system/app path. When you write files to this path, you have to remember to chmod them to 644 (user/owner read+write, group read, others read).

vvildcard

Reaction score
I had similar issues after uninstalling a few things that I shouldn't have (mine was calendar related). I basically did the same thing you're describing, but it looks like the thing you're missing is a permissions fix (to echo what psousa4 said). If you can get it booted, I used 2 apps to find and then fix the apps that had broken permissions...

1. Use Adao File Manager to browse /system/app. Each file should have -r- in the far right column... look through the list for any that don't have it (I had about 20) and make note of them (pen and paper, notepad on your computer, etc).
2. Use File Expert (or Root Explorer, I used FE because it's free) to fix the permissions on each file that was incorrect. As psouza4 said, you want everyone to have read and the owner to also have write... rw-r--r--
3. Once all permissions are fixed, I used the Settings > Privacy > Factory Reset Data to re-image the phone. When it was finished, it was back at stock with everything installed.

Last edited:
OP
P

pointnumberone

Reaction score
I had similar issues after uninstalling a few things that I shouldn't have (mine was calendar related). I basically did the same thing you're describing, but it looks like the thing you're missing is a permissions fix (to echo what psousa4 said). If you can get it booted, I used 2 apps to find and then fix the apps that had broken permissions...

1. Use Adao File Manager to browse /system/app. Each file should have -r- in the far right column... look through the list for any that don't have it (I had about 20) and make note of them (pen and paper, notepad on your computer, etc).
2. Use File Expert (or Root Explorer, I used FE because it's free) to fix the permissions on each file that was incorrect. As psouza4 said, you want everyone to have read and the owner to also have write... rw--r--r-
3. Once all permissions are fixed, I used the Settings > Privacy > Factory Reset Data to re-image the phone. When it was finished, it was back at stock with everything installed.

Yeah... it won't boot because of the permissions problems... the entire /system/apps folder was overwritten. :icon_eek:

So... we can't get connected using ADB. The only option from the recovery that doesn't result in a boot loop is RSD (and fastboot), which we don't have an image for yet. *sigh*

psouza4

Reaction score
Yeah... it won't boot because of the permissions problems... the entire /system/apps folder was overwritten. :icon_eek:

So... we can't get connected using ADB. The only option from the recovery that doesn't result in a boot loop is RSD (and fastboot), which we don't have an image for yet. *sigh*
That's a real problem -- I'm sorry, man.

Did you try that repair link at motorola posted earlier?

OP
P

pointnumberone

Reaction score
I think that'd be: rw-r--r--

:)

A signed "update.zip" file that simply resets all the permissions would be awesome... Anybody from Verizon and/or Motorola around? ;)

I forgot we can get that far in the recovery, but have no valid update.zip to run.