X2 Bootstrap Recovery APK

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Droid X2

Hi everyone, I would like to announce that the Motorola Droid X2 recovery is now available to download!

[video=youtube;i-Oydpn3ed8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Oydpn3ed8"]Video[/video]

User submitted success photographs:
Denton-20110712-00148.jpg

Additional photographs:
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4

Addictivetips:
Finally there is some interesting news for Motorola Droid X2 owners as Droid X2 bootstrap recovery app is now available for download. The credit for this discovery goes to c21Johnson, who unearthed this gem while skimming through some Chinese forums discussing Android development; most probably GoAPK. There are certain users and developers at XDA not giving their consent to this build but there are users who have successfully installed Bootstrap recovery and also made and restored backups. There is a lot of controversy going on regarding this bootstrap build and we would like to stay away from it by just reporting what’s going on. According to some folks, this recovery was in reality written for Atrix 4G before it got modified and was made compatible with Motorola Droid X2.

For those who don’t know, installing this app will allow you to flash custom bootstrap recovery on your Droid X2. You can flash ROMs, partition SD Card, flash kernels, backup / restore your current ROM and do numerous stuff on your phone once you have a custom recovery on board. In order to install this bootstrap recovery on your Droid X2, simply download the file from here, unzip and then copy the APK to your phone. After you have copied the APK, use any file manager like Astro to install. After the installation is complete, tap to launch the app and follow onscreen instructions to detail in order to flash bootstrap custom recovery on your phone.

There is heated discussion going on regarding legitimacy and intellectual copyrights of this app, so please head to XDA thread here to get involved. We haven’t tested this app and you will be on your own after flashing it. Extreme caution is advised.

And if you are the developer of this recovery, please let us know in the comments area and we will be happy to add credits.

Phandroid:
In the first step of many to freeing up a Motorola device, our friend Koush has released a bootstrap method compatible for the Motorola Droid X2 With that comes the ability to install and run a custom recovery. Everyone’s favorite – Clockwork – is also now available and ready to go. Things are looking up for the hacking community there. We’re still some time off from custom ROMs but be sure to follow along at XDA to be a part of all the excitement. [XDA via Droid-Life]

If you are using your phone please do not use stock browser as it has troubles downloading files. Feel free to use your favorite browser, but I highly recommend Boat Browser, it is very light-weight, quick, and offers everything that is to be desired.

Boat Browser download:
Android Market (FREE)

You will also need a file explorer outside of stock; I highly recommend Root Explorer.

Root Explorer download:
Android Market (3.85 USD)

Background:
Initially, I had heard that p3 had announced that X2 users would be, in fact, getting some Gingerbread love. After seeing this tweet, I became inclined to believe that p3 had a leak of what he said is 2.3.4. So, I went on the search to find this leak. Knowing the ins and outs of Google search, I was determined the find this file using what I thought would be the update name in a zip file. After trying dozens of search combinations, I stumbled upon something interesting... A search that lead to nothing but Chinese websites. Then after clicking a few and finding no useful information, I found a website listed with a renown name: GOAPK. I ventured into GOAPK forums where I found what seemed to be a ROM for the Droid X2. Dumbfounded by the idea of a ROM being available, but no recovery, I then went on the search for the method of accessing recovery. Luckily, I found it quickly in the same forums. Even more blocks were soon to come though. I mustered through all the Chinese and was able to register on the forums. After I registered, I was asked to post a reply to the thread before I could download. This brought me to a halt, as when I posted, I had to enter a security code and answer a security question. The question was illegible even while using Google Translate (which did a rather poor job on the website all together). So, after copying the filenames, I began Google-ing again. Finally found the files, and found the way to successfully download... That is, after waiting about 4 hours for the download to complete. I was pretty fearless in jumping onto this and seeing if it would work, but I was ready for X2 development to begin, because, honestly, the phone as stock contains a lot of software problems, some which cannot be resolved with a simple root.

Before getting started, it is important that we have root. In order to obtain root and superuser permissions, we must use Gingerbreak. Before we begin, me must make sure we have an SD card inserted and mounted. After that, be sure to enable "Unknown sources" (settings > applications) and "USB debugging" (settings > applications > development). After this is complete, install, open, and run Gingerbreak. Your device should reboot if the installation is successful. Once the device has booted back up, be sure to check for Superuser in your applications, this will ensure you correctly have root. Note: Intallation may take a few moments, so please be patient. If your phone locks up, pull battery and try again.

Gingerbreak APK download:
Mirror 1

After obtaining root rights, you're free to install the Droid X2 Recovery.

Instructions:
Download Droid X2 Recovery. This file will most likely be in .rar format, so, unzip it using your favorite method. After the APK has been successfully installed, launch it (if you do not immediately launch it, it is titled "System Recovery" in the application drawer). It will appear to be the Atrix recovery, but this file has been modified to work with the Droid X2 device. There are on screen instructions, but I will additionally post them here. First, you want to see above for having device root. Second, install recovery by clicking the "Install Recovery" button at the top of the application. After installation, wait a few seconds to ensure it is complete. Now, hook you device to the AC CHARGER (not USB to computer). And click the "Recovery Mode" button to reboot the phone into recovery. The "Charge Mode" button will also reboot the phone, but instead of going into Android recovery, it will boot you to default charge. Many have speculated that this is an "oh **** button." This is not the case, it's just to bypass recovery and go directly to charge. The device will also charge at the recovery screen, so, no need to worry about the device becoming discharged and not being able to boot.

Droid X2 Recovery APK download:
Mirror 1
Mirror 2
Mirror 3

In the recovery menu, we will use the volume rocker to navigate up and down. The power button will be used to confirm/make a selection. The options you will be allowed to choose from are as follows:

Reboot system now
- This will reboot the device and skip recovery.
Apply SDCARD:update.zip
- This will flash an update.zip file located on your EXTERNAL SD card.
Apply SDINTERNAL:update.zip
- This will flash an update.zip file located on your internal memory.
Wipe DATA/Factory reset
- Clears the data portion of your device. As stated, is the same as a factory reset.
Wipe CACHE partition
- Simply clears the cache partition of the device as stated.
Install zip from SDCARD
- Allows a .zip file to be chosen for flash. Can be chosen from internal memory or external.
Backup & restore
- Allows creation of a nandroid backup. After backup is created, will allow restoration of said nandroid.
- This is one of the first things you should do when entering recovery. It can really save you some time and headache to have a nandroid on hand in case things do not go as planned.
Mounts & Storage
- Allows mounting of storage locations and allows wiping of those locations.
Advanced
- Miscellaneous options for your device.
+++++Go Back+++++
- Returns to the previous menu.

Also discovered was a Chinese developed ROM. Note how I said Chinese. It is fully flashable, and for the most part, functional. I don't necessarily recommend installing it as I haven't had the time to dig through it and determine what is actually included/changed.

Quens DX2 CHS ROM download:
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

MinimalX DROID X2 ROM
Download Now!

Thanks for everything and happy developing!

*DISCLAIMER* You are at the consent of your device. If you choose to use, install, or follow any instruction obtained, it is at your will and is out of my jurisdiction of responsibility. You are responsible for your device and what you do to it.

Last edited:

HEMLOCK

Reaction score
Just curious, where did this come from? Who developed it?

No doubt im going to try it, but seems like it came out of the blue!

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This might sound shady, but with all the speculation of p3 having a leaked GB file, I went on the search for it. After digging through poorly translated chinese websites (don't worry, the APK & recovery is in English), I discovered this.

Firstly, I managed to get a spare X2, and decided if I did brick this thing, it would be at no expense. So, I decided to install this APK and run it.

What I first noticed is that it appears to be a modified Atrix 4G Bootstrap. I followed the given instructions in the APK, and to my surprise, I booted into recovery flawlessly.

Everything I have tried has worked without a hiccup. I'm currently making a backup, and I'm going to attempt to install a chinese developed ROM to ensure that it is truly a working recovery.

h_10

Reaction score
i want this to be true. sadly i'm not brave enough to try this.

i hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but screen shots?

MistaWolfe

Reaction score
i want this to be true. sadly i'm not brave enough to try this.

i hate to look a gift horse in the mouth but screen shots?

It works. I'm making a back up now. It's beautiful :)

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The ROM installed fine. I haven't looked into the details of what exactly it has changed, other than noticing that it installed a few chinese applications. It was a system and meta update.

As for screens, what do you want screenshots of? I'll get a different camera and take pictures of the actual recovery.

h_10

Reaction score
no worries, i believe you. i'm just worried about the chinese origins of this. much of the android malware seems to originate from china. don't want to be getting bootstrap but installing some malware in the process.

MistaWolfe

Reaction score
Now all we need is CVPCS working his 2nd-init magic on this. I just did a backup - worked FLAWLESSLY.

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I understand that. I found the file over at GOAPK.com forums. I'm not sure if this is affiliated with the developers of GOLauncher, GOSMS, etc, but the website seems rather legit, and to be honest.... I was going to trade my X2 tomorrow, but this has changed my mind.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This thread has been reopened but please know the risk that you are downloading the apk that was pulled from a Chinese site.

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If you're trying to download straight to your phone and you're receiving a parsing error, try downloading directly on the computer and transferring to SD card. Alternatively, you could try using a different browser. I've found that Boat Browser works great for downloading files and is also a fabulous browser compared to stock. If that still fails, and you aren't near a PC, try Firefox browser as it usually is great for downloading from outside resources. If none of this resolves your issue, then let me know and I will search for an additional alternative.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Sent it from my computer and downloaded on firefox mobile, still nothing. The phone is gingerbreak'd, but do I need anything else? (busybox or anything like that)

Thanks for your help

OP
C

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Sent it from my computer and downloaded on firefox mobile, still nothing. The phone is gingerbreak'd, but do I need anything else? (busybox or anything like that)

Thanks for your help

You're very welcome. I've taken our discussion personal messages as to not hijack this topic.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

mario9701

Reaction score
Tried it and it worked.. was able to create a backup

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums