Internal storage vs memory card

in99flames

Reaction score
On my X2 and everyones X2 for that matter....every program saves and looks only for the internal storage not the ext sdcard. This is disrupting a lot of stuff i have on my mem card for games and apps. Titanium backup, adw launcher, save files for games....i find it annoying as i would just like to use the mem card only. Any way to make the phone always default to sdcard ext? I did not find anything in the settings. Suggestions? Or give in and copy stuff to internal card?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

barski

Reaction score
There is always app to sd apps on the market. I would also like to save everything to my card.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
internal memory is faster than the sd card, and you have the space for it man, why bother? what kind of problems do you specifically mean? I never have issues with adw or TiBu and I keep my apps on internal

hobby31

Reaction score
There is a hack to switch them around. I can't remember right off hand where I got it from. My X2 is set up now so that the internal is recognized as sd-ext and my sdcard is the sdcard. I wanted it this way because I have a 32 gb card with lots of prior stuff on it. You have to be root and you simply replace a script in the system with this script and reboot. I'll have to do some after I get home cause I'm at work right now. You can try googling it. I might have gotten it over at xda-develpers forum. I believe it involved a modified fstab.vold file.

OP
in99flames

in99flames

Reaction score
There is a hack to switch them around. I can't remember right off hand where I got it from. My X2 is set up now so that the internal is recognized as sd-ext and my sdcard is the sdcard. I wanted it this way because I have a 32 gb card with lots of prior stuff on it. You have to be root and you simply replace a script in the system with this script and reboot. I'll have to do some after I get home cause I'm at work right now. You can try googling it. I might have gotten it over at xda-develpers forum. I believe it involved a modified fstab.vold file.

What you said about your 32gb card is exactly my reasoning as well. I have a class 6 16gb. It is plenty fast for r/w. This fix is exactly what i was lookin for. Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

lgwhitlock

Reaction score
For programs that give you the option you can also manually point to the external vs internal memory card. They are as follows on my DX2:

/mnt/sdcard (internal memory card - likely wiped if doing custom ROMs)
/mnt/sdcard-ext (external memory card)

I setup my backup program to manually use the external card. The Camera already uses it when saving pictures to the memory card as it knows the difference.

That said thanks for the info about the hack. This might be easier but it is good to understand how Motorola setup this beast in case you have any issues in the future.

Leland
:)