What's the current story w/the X2 and ROM Manager/Clockwork Recovery?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Need a little help - I'm a D2-er but my wife has an X2 so I'm doing a little ROMing for her. Currently have the Atrix ROM port installed on her X2.

I have been using the System Recovery app for getting into the ported Atrix Recovery (ver 2.5.1.8).

I've recently seen posts on Droid Life that ROM Manager is now compatible w/the X2, and that there is a new "real" CW Recovery (5.0.2.5) for the X2. I was able to find and download an X2 recovery.img file from the ClockworkMod site to verify it exists. (File name Recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.5-daytona.zip)

I have the most recent version of ROM Manager installed on her X2...so I need some help to clarify/confirm below:

1. I can now use ROM Manager to flash the new X2 Clockwork Recovery ver 5.0.2.5 via the Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option in ROM Manager.
2. Once I have flashed the new recovery, I can get into it from ROM Manager using the Reboot into Recovery option. Related question - does the need to plug in the phone, etc., that exists w/the System Recovery app I've been using go away now?
3. Once I've flashed the new recovery, I assume I should stop using the "System Recovery" app to install and launch the 2.5.1.8 Recovery that I've been previously using, correct, or ?
4. Is there a new Clockwork Mod Bootstrap Recovery app for the X2 to replace the System Recovery app? Could not find one in the Market, nor on the ClockworkMod site...
5. I should not use ROM Manager to create/manage backups - continue to do that manually in Clockwork Recovery.

Appreciate help with above...

Thanks! :)

myriad46

Reaction score
Best I can figure, it's still a work in progress. That's why the update to ver 5 of CWM is not showing up in the market for us yet. Koush just bought an X2 this weekend, and it seems to be giving him some problems. Best idea would be to follow him @koush and @clockworkmod on twitter, as that seems to be where he has been posting news on his progress. If someone could just stumble on the way to unlock the bootloader, like they did with the Atrix, we would be in much better shape. For me, however, just the knowledge that Koush went and bought an X2 to play with makes me sleep better at night with my X2 on the nightstand. It's gonna take some time, but development work seems to be picking up a bit in the last couple weeks.

Soapster

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the biggest issue with all of this because of the locked bootloader? We cannot flash it so we cannot replace it. There are only workarounds. So we cannot manually modify the kernel directly.

Gblake13

Reaction score
I have an x2 and do to the lack of a recovery I don't wanna flash any roms . I found out how to access the stock recovery but can't make a nandroid backup I'm stock recovery. Because of this I'm thinking about returning it. Should I wait? Is it that likely they'll have a recovery soon?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

bolski

Reaction score
I have an x2 and do to the lack of a recovery I don't wanna flash any roms . I found out how to access the stock recovery but can't make a nandroid backup I'm stock recovery. Because of this I'm thinking about returning it. Should I wait? Is it that likely they'll have a recovery soon?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

There is a 2nd-init recovery that works. You just have to have the droid plugged into the wall outlet when you want to boot into recovery.

You can obtain it from this XDA thread: Droid X2 System Recovery + Instruction - xda-developerscroll down in the first post to the section titled Droid X2 Recovery APK download: There, you will see three links that will allow you to download the APK. Install it, run it and click on the Install button. Once that is done, plug your phone into the wall outlet (not your PC USB outlet) and then click on the Recovery button. It will reboot the phone and put you into recovery mode where you can do flash installs.