Worth the switch from WM to Droid?

cb2000a

Reaction score
Nexus is on T Mobile. The Incredible will be in Verizon (fairly close to the Nexus). In any case they won't be that much different than the Droid when it gets 2.1.

tu3218

Reaction score
yeah the droid blows winmo out of the water an its not even close. When I had my omnia I felt like I spent more time with maintenance and keeping the phone running smooth then actually time playing with it. With the droid its soo much more stable and smooth no matter how much you add or how much you tinker with apps/widgets/home screens. The droid is incredible and it will be like night an day if you switch.

NickWgnr

Reaction score
Here is my response to your question. Is the Pope Catholic? Haha, nuff said

Wagner :motdroidvert:

holee

Reaction score
I'll be the Devil's Advocate. I've used the i760 and Omnia before this.

It was a rough transition in some ways.

The Droid is so much more powerful, faster than any Windows Mobile phone. The screen, oh my, so pretty. The App store is leagues beyond what the Windows Mobile app store is. The Droid has much more potential than any WM phone, and has the hardware to back it up.

The downside is that it's not as user friendly as WM, nor does it have the extreme level of customization, shells that WM has. That's mostly due to WM having been on the market for so long.

The computing/PDA experience on the Droid > WM any day. However, I believe the calling, and office productivity experience of WM > Droid today. This should change in the next few months. However, right now, there are still moments where I wish the Droid could do the little things that my WM phone could do.

I did go back to my Omnia for about a week, and I was dying. I didn't realize how slow, and ugly it was. But it still did some things better (manage contacts, make/place calls). Having the option to use SPB Shell really helped out.

I switched back to the Droid, but I still feel like it's not a completely baked product yet.

OP
F

fujitsupalm

Reaction score
yeah the droid blows winmo out of the water an its not even close. When I had my omnia I felt like I spent more time with maintenance and keeping the phone running smooth then actually time playing with it. With the droid its soo much more stable and smooth no matter how much you add or how much you tinker with apps/widgets/home screens. The droid is incredible and it will be like night an day if you switch.

tell me bout it, i had the omnia, i wanted to smash it into pieces after the first day of use, was hoping for firmware updates for changes to happen, it just gets worse from there... what a piece of.... :icon_eek:

LordKastle

Reaction score
Keep faith in Windows Mobile 7, come near the end of 2010....a wounded animal is dangerous.

UggTheThug

Reaction score

tell me bout it, i had the omnia, i wanted to smash it into pieces after the first day of use, was hoping for firmware updates for changes to happen, it just gets worse from there... what a piece of.... :icon_eek:

i agree with you 100% the two happiest days of my omnia were when i bought it and when i sold it. I flashed it almost everyweek waiting for it to get better. After I bought the droid I saw that WM is a lost cause. To sell my i910 i had to turn it on and reset it and clear the storage and all those feelings of hatred came back. so now i've pledged my allegiance to android and won't turn back

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I made the switch from WinMo XV6800 to the Droid. The TP2 was my original plan, (and is a great device) but I decided I liked the future potential of the droid and Android. In general the droid is a good device, but there is a caveat with Exchange integration.

If you are an Exchange corporate user, some policies will not work with the Droid and in general the Mobile outlook (and office) experience cannot be matched on Android (although touchdown does a fairly good job, and seems to get closer on a daily basis). Eg. if you are the type to categorize your email in tons of folders, the default email client simply sucks at folders. Generally, If you need to match your Outlook experience on a mobile platform today, stick with the TP2.

On the other hand, if you have multiple email accounts I think the droid handles this a bit better. The browsing experience is hard to beat on android, even without the multitouch function. The market is great and there are more good applications every day.

As a phone the Droid is good, but the TP2 is slightly better for conference calling thanks to that speakerphone. One of my coworkers has the TP2 and I was very impressed by the TP2 for speaker phone calls.

One last observation, with Winmo you will get what you get as the system is more than mature, the bugs have been worked out years ago. The features that are there work robustly. Android is and will be a constantly upgraded and patched platform - features will be added along with the bugs that come with them.

If you are the type to expect your device to work consistently without any changes, stick with the TP2. If you like constant change, then Android is hard to beat. The Iphone falls somewhere in the middle of this - personally I never liked it for exactly that reason.

OP
F

fujitsupalm

Reaction score
Keep faith in Windows Mobile 7, come near the end of 2010....a wounded animal is dangerous.

It's a shame that it gets postponed all the time, and as a rumour or is it confirmed that only the Leo is capable of running it at full potential?

I do have a TP2, which I am kind of in a love and hate situation here. Love the screen, the keyboard, tilt screen, WM has never ran any better on a phone than this that I have found for myself.

It does have its hick-ups though, the usual WM problems, only on a smaller scale and at a lower frequency, i flashed it into a cooked 6.5 and yeah it was smooth, BUUUTTT it was draining battery madly, so i had to flash it back to 6.1 the rom it came with, I lost a whole lot of speed to get juice for it.

:blink:

OP
F

fujitsupalm

Reaction score
I made the switch from WinMo XV6800 to the Droid. The TP2 was my original plan, (and is a great device) but I decided I liked the future potential of the droid and Android. In general the droid is a good device, but there is a caveat with Exchange integration.

If you are an Exchange corporate user, some policies will not work with the Droid and in general the Mobile outlook (and office) experience cannot be matched on Android (although touchdown does a fairly good job, and seems to get closer on a daily basis). Eg. if you are the type to categorize your email in tons of folders, the default email client simply sucks at folders. Generally, If you need to match your Outlook experience on a mobile platform today, stick with the TP2.

On the other hand, if you have multiple email accounts I think the droid handles this a bit better. The browsing experience is hard to beat on android, even without the multitouch function. The market is great and there are more good applications every day.

As a phone the Droid is good, but the TP2 is slightly better for conference calling thanks to that speakerphone. One of my coworkers has the TP2 and I was very impressed by the TP2 for speaker phone calls.

One last observation, with Winmo you will get what you get as the system is more than mature, the bugs have been worked out years ago. The features that are there work robustly. Android is and will be a constantly upgraded and patched platform - features will be added along with the bugs that come with them.

If you are the type to expect your device to work consistently without any changes, stick with the TP2. If you like constant change, then Android is hard to beat. The Iphone falls somewhere in the middle of this - personally I never liked it for exactly that reason.

Absolutely, I think i will try and do a two phone job, where I keep the TP2 and look to get a second phone where I divert the calls to either for whichever purpose it may be needed for the occasion.

I'm totally fresh here on this forum, and thanks a bunch for all feedbacks,well done on the forum and the ppl, you guys are making this place awesome.:)