What do you miss from Windows Mobile?

nuguy

Reaction score
Mods, I posted this in another thread as a reply, but thought it would be of more benefit as a thread. Delete if necessary...

I really only miss a few things from win mobile, and they are all about business. As for an entertainment device the droid definitely does, and or will... But for business, well,... I hope it will...

1) PREDICTIVE DIALING: for real? I have to browse through over 300 contacts manually??? Seriously? And I have to know the first name of the person in order to do that?

-This is the epic fail currently to me - not enough to trade for wm but this one thing makes me think about it more than any other single item...

2) Calendar: I live and die by my calendar, and do most of my entries from my phone. I also need to keep my past appointments, and having them al the way back to 1994 is not something Google is going to let me do. So for now I am still using mail2web and waiting for a more unified solution between outlook, mail2web and the droid, currently passable, but hardly intuitive, much less ideal.

3) Organization: What is with the stupid ap drawer? So if I download 60-70 apps (don't tell me you haven't) I need to know the name of it to find it? Why not be establish folders in the drawer? You know games, utilities, media, mapping, social, junk etc.... I really want an ap like that. Bonus if I could sort by date so I could try the new ap I dl'd last night and forgot the name of...

4) General Office integration: I understand Google and m$ think each other are ass monkeys and all, so why not get better integration with Google docs or open office or something that we can open and edit and work for a living, so we can pay for our phone and it's plan...

5) Cut, copy, paste: I sure hope this gets easier with time because as of now it is usually much easier to "remember" what you need and type it in.

No need to bash me, yes I was happy enough with wm, and palm before that... But I have been an early adopter and struggled along until I was happy along the way, no device or os is perfect!

I do think android is the wave of the future, so here I am testing the water with both feet, I just didn't expect the undercurrent to be so strong...

dpw2atox

Reaction score
What do i miss? nothing! heh but seriously, the only real things i miss are things like divx support. Androids SDK is still very immature and has a ways to go.

GeLopez

Reaction score
Ill just comment on #3... make yourself a folder and put all you applications inthere. Have as many folders as you want.

To add to your list of things I missed from wm is MyMobiler

Guchi

Reaction score
i miss a few of the apps, mostly GCZ for geocaching and the tethering was easier. and like somone said the divx support

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
nothing.

everything i've done on WinMo can be done on Droid, but much faster and is also much easier to access.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i dont really miss anything about winmo. and the drawer is no different than the start menu on winmo, and you can put them in folders (but sometimes i forget, then it takes forever to find apps)
copy cut and paste works perfectly fine for me

ice456789

Reaction score
I miss buttons that are so small on the screen that you struggle to push them with your fingernail.
I miss the need for a hard reset button that you could push with a pen.
I miss physically plugging my phone into my computer and using Windows Mobile Device Center to move pictures, files, etc to and from my phone.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Get Touchdown v5.0+ and you'll get most of what you miss, back. It's $20, but well worth it to be tied back into my Exchange server at work.

- Mega

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Copy paste is rather easy, especially with the physical keyboard. Just hold the shift key, slide your finger over everything you want to copy, hold the menu key, and hit c. Copied. Go to the text field you wanna paste in, menu + v. Simple as that.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i dont really miss anything about winmo. and the drawer is no different than the start menu on winmo, and you can put them in folders (but sometimes i forget, then it takes forever to find apps)
copy cut and paste works perfectly fine for me

same here...

i had a winmo phone for 3 weeks and it had to be the worst 3 weeks of my life. i had nothing but problems with the phone.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I loved my WinMo phone I had the Samsung Omnia
I used to develop ROMS for it over @ Modaco and other sites
I miss developing the ROMS and atm I been a bit busy to learn how to do it on the DROID just yet.
I also miss my Watchtower Library which im tryin to learn how to get on the Android with isilio

Other than that I guess not much they both do everything I need it too. I only went android cause I needed a keyboard and with tp2 and droid my only option I didnt want to go tp2 with winmo7 coming out so i went with droid

Slighter

Reaction score
Slingplayer mobile, but they are working on that so soon the answer will be - nothing.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mods, I posted this in another thread as a reply, but thought it would be of more benefit as a thread. Delete if necessary...

I really only miss a few things from win mobile, and they are all about business. As for an entertainment device the droid definitely does, and or will... But for business, well,... I hope it will...

1) PREDICTIVE DIALING: for real? I have to browse through over 300 contacts manually??? Seriously? And I have to know the first name of the person in order to do that?

-This is the epic fail currently to me - not enough to trade for wm but this one thing makes me think about it more than any other single item...

Epic? Really. Nah. If I know who I'm calling, I at least know their first name. Searching the contacts is lightyears easier than on WinMo. It's predictive matching and favorites organization outweighs the predictive number dialing in my book. Predictive dialing has gotten me in trouble a few times when it decided to dial the number on the screen instead of the one I was trying to type out. I don't miss that.

2) Calendar: I live and die by my calendar, and do most of my entries from my phone. I also need to keep my past appointments, and having them al the way back to 1994 is not something Google is going to let me do. So for now I am still using mail2web and waiting for a more unified solution between outlook, mail2web and the droid, currently passable, but hardly intuitive, much less ideal.

maybe you can elaborate on your isse? see my sig. i have every appointment from my work calendar perfectly synced online. google calendar sync is fast and accurate and just having the ability to not have to be tethered to a PC has been a blessing.

3) Organization: What is with the stupid ap drawer? So if I download 60-70 apps (don't tell me you haven't) I need to know the name of it to find it? Why not be establish folders in the drawer? You know games, utilities, media, mapping, social, junk etc.... I really want an ap like that. Bonus if I could sort by date so I could try the new ap I dl'd last night and forgot the name of...

come on now, WinMo 6.5 was a joke. what was up with the staggered icons? was that supposed to be easier? it looks unorganized and is harder to find apps.

android lets you use folders, plus the desktop is far superior to whatever WinMo called a desktop.

besides, how cool was it in WinMo to hit applications only to discover they were folders for more applications and so on? i hated the settings and microsoft office setups. they were a pain.

4) General Office integration: I understand Google and m$ think each other are ass monkeys and all, so why not get better integration with Google docs or open office or something that we can open and edit and work for a living, so we can pay for our phone and it's plan...

but there ARE solutions. android COMES with quickoffice. that's a pretty good offering for free, if you ask me.

5) Cut, copy, paste: I sure hope this gets easier with time because as of now it is usually much easier to "remember" what you need and type it in.

the good thing about copy-paste on the android is something taken from the windows world, not offered on other devices: shortcut keys.

on WinMo, I had to open the full qwerty and use CTRL-C, CTRL-V, etc. with the DROID I have a real keyboard with real shortcuts.

U

usermmg

I miss a couple things like having tons of codecs for movie watching, reg. edit hacks and screen capture ( without having to root ). Other than that android is my O.S. of choice. I use to be a windows mobile defender for like 7 years!! I'm over that now... Hey maybe it's time to switch to a mac from a pc... perhaps:motdroidvert: HAPPY DROID'IN