1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

What do you miss from Windows Mobile?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by nuguy, Jan 12, 2010.

1. nuguy

nuguy New Member

Mods, I posted this in another thread as a reply, but thought it would be of more benefit as a thread. Delete if necessary...

I really only miss a few things from win mobile, and they are all about business. As for an entertainment device the droid definitely does, and or will... But for business, well,... I hope it will...

1) PREDICTIVE DIALING: for real? I have to browse through over 300 contacts manually??? Seriously? And I have to know the first name of the person in order to do that?

-This is the epic fail currently to me - not enough to trade for wm but this one thing makes me think about it more than any other single item...

2) Calendar: I live and die by my calendar, and do most of my entries from my phone. I also need to keep my past appointments, and having them al the way back to 1994 is not something Google is going to let me do. So for now I am still using mail2web and waiting for a more unified solution between outlook, mail2web and the droid, currently passable, but hardly intuitive, much less ideal.

3) Organization: What is with the stupid ap drawer? So if I download 60-70 apps (don't tell me you haven't) I need to know the name of it to find it? Why not be establish folders in the drawer? You know games, utilities, media, mapping, social, junk etc.... I really want an ap like that. Bonus if I could sort by date so I could try the new ap I dl'd last night and forgot the name of...

4) General Office integration: I understand Google and m$ think each other are ass monkeys and all, so why not get better integration with Google docs or open office or something that we can open and edit and work for a living, so we can pay for our phone and it's plan...

5) Cut, copy, paste: I sure hope this gets easier with time because as of now it is usually much easier to "remember" what you need and type it in.

No need to bash me, yes I was happy enough with wm, and palm before that... But I have been an early adopter and struggled along until I was happy along the way, no device or os is perfect!

I do think android is the wave of the future, so here I am testing the water with both feet, I just didn't expect the undercurrent to be so strong...
  2. dpw2atox

dpw2atox New Member

What do i miss? nothing! heh but seriously, the only real things i miss are things like divx support. Androids SDK is still very immature and has a ways to go.
  3. GeLopez

GeLopez New Member

Ill just comment on #3... make yourself a folder and put all you applications inthere. Have as many folders as you want.

To add to your list of things I missed from wm is MyMobiler
  4. crspang

crspang New Member

linked volume control....
    pre-installed file explorer....
    thats about it.
  5. Guchi

Guchi New Member

i miss a few of the apps, mostly GCZ for geocaching and the tethering was easier. and like somone said the divx support
  6. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

nothing.

everything i've done on WinMo can be done on Droid, but much faster and is also much easier to access.
  7. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i dont really miss anything about winmo. and the drawer is no different than the start menu on winmo, and you can put them in folders (but sometimes i forget, then it takes forever to find apps)
    copy cut and paste works perfectly fine for me
  8. ice456789

ice456789 New Member

I miss buttons that are so small on the screen that you struggle to push them with your fingernail.
    I miss the need for a hard reset button that you could push with a pen.
    I miss physically plugging my phone into my computer and using Windows Mobile Device Center to move pictures, files, etc to and from my phone.
  9. iiimegamaniii

iiimegamaniii New Member

Get Touchdown v5.0+ and you'll get most of what you miss, back. It's $20, but well worth it to be tied back into my Exchange server at work.

- Mega
  10. Anonymouse

Anonymouse New Member

Copy paste is rather easy, especially with the physical keyboard. Just hold the shift key, slide your finger over everything you want to copy, hold the menu key, and hit c. Copied. Go to the text field you wanna paste in, menu + v. Simple as that.
  11. garrett

garrett New Member Theme Developer Developer

same here...

i had a winmo phone for 3 weeks and it had to be the worst 3 weeks of my life. i had nothing but problems with the phone.
  12. MrCapcom

MrCapcom New Member

I loved my WinMo phone I had the Samsung Omnia
    I used to develop ROMS for it over @ Modaco and other sites
    I miss developing the ROMS and atm I been a bit busy to learn how to do it on the DROID just yet.
    I also miss my Watchtower Library which im tryin to learn how to get on the Android with isilio

Other than that I guess not much they both do everything I need it too. I only went android cause I needed a keyboard and with tp2 and droid my only option I didnt want to go tp2 with winmo7 coming out so i went with droid
  13. Slighter

Slighter New Member

Slingplayer mobile, but they are working on that so soon the answer will be - nothing.
  14. 640k

640k New Member

Epic? Really. Nah. If I know who I'm calling, I at least know their first name. Searching the contacts is lightyears easier than on WinMo. It's predictive matching and favorites organization outweighs the predictive number dialing in my book. Predictive dialing has gotten me in trouble a few times when it decided to dial the number on the screen instead of the one I was trying to type out. I don't miss that.

maybe you can elaborate on your isse? see my sig. i have every appointment from my work calendar perfectly synced online. google calendar sync is fast and accurate and just having the ability to not have to be tethered to a PC has been a blessing.

come on now, WinMo 6.5 was a joke. what was up with the staggered icons? was that supposed to be easier? it looks unorganized and is harder to find apps.

android lets you use folders, plus the desktop is far superior to whatever WinMo called a desktop.

besides, how cool was it in WinMo to hit applications only to discover they were folders for more applications and so on? i hated the settings and microsoft office setups. they were a pain.

but there ARE solutions. android COMES with quickoffice. that's a pretty good offering for free, if you ask me.

the good thing about copy-paste on the android is something taken from the windows world, not offered on other devices: shortcut keys.

on WinMo, I had to open the full qwerty and use CTRL-C, CTRL-V, etc. with the DROID I have a real keyboard with real shortcuts.
  15. usermmg

usermmg Guest

I miss a couple things like having tons of codecs for movie watching, reg. edit hacks and screen capture ( without having to root ). Other than that android is my O.S. of choice. I use to be a windows mobile defender for like 7 years!! I'm over that now... Hey maybe it's time to switch to a mac from a pc... perhaps:motdroidvert: HAPPY DROID'IN
  16. John.Edwards

John.Edwards New Member

I miss all that you've listed and PPTP VPN support (with encryption) and compliance support. While I like the touch screen, I do miss all the dedicated hardware buttons on my old WinMo device, but I would miss than on the newer winMo phones as well.

I also miss the stability of winmo - it was very predictable, and the droid seems to respond better at times and worse other times. I've actually restarted the droid more in the 2 months I've owned it than the entire 2 years of windows mobile 6.1. I know the droid does more, but what winmo does it does well.

I actually like the Droid hardware - I am sure winMo would not be so laggy on a newer chipset like in the droid.
  17. rod

rod New Member

i came from a winmo phone, and i much prefer the droid. i also have 300+ contacts for business reasons. fortunately, i tend to know everyones full name, so its not that big of a deal to me. to the op, you do know you can hit the search button when in the contacts list and search by last name, right?
  18. 640k

640k New Member

ok, you'd be the first person to say that winmo was more stable than anything else. and as far as dedicated buttons go, my htc touch had less buttons that did less than what the DROID does.

i've changed the ROM on my WinMo device more times than I've EVER rebooted my DROID.

the HD2 has the "newest" hardware. snapdragon processor, dedicated hardware. it's still WinMo and it still requires a third party app (HTC Sense UI) just to make it passable.
  19. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

LOL, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was running WM for the last 3 years and I was a member of a ROM team that developed some VERY stable and fast ROMs and even then it was, at BEST no more stable than Android (at least on the Droid, with minimal apps). 6.5 was a joke/flop. But I will say Google needs to get a hold of the marketplace to keep things stable (there are just to many apps that don't work correctly and several that affect the system). It's easy enough to see how Android could be unstable if people are careless with the apps they install or they aren't careful.

Also to the OP, take into account the time and money differences between the two. WM is OLD... it's been out for ever and they still can't get it right (depending on when you want to start the clock they have at LEAST a 7 year head start). There have been no less the 5 MAJOR evolution and countless minor updates to make it work and it still sucks (IMHO)... Android is VERY young and progressing at a very quick rate (which is, admittedly half the problem with enforcing so little control in the market place).
  20. John.Edwards

John.Edwards New Member

640K - I guess it depends if you are a tinkerer or not. I never switched ROMS on Winmo because it did what I needed it to do. It was a very vanilla configuration, on a XV6800 and it just did what it did.

About the DROID Stability - I am really taking about the features (email specifically) - the DROID OS has only hung up on my DROID (my second) once so far, and 3x on the original.

I am not returning my DROID, I just hope google decides to support the devices a bit better. Losing my email config's multiple times per week on this level of device in 2010 (on 2nd major level OS) is pathetic - I never once had to reconfigure winmo due to a bug. Maybe Google needs to test their code a bit more.
Search tags for this page

does samusung omnia 2 run watctower libiary 2011?

load wt library on andriod phone

watchtower library offline android

what android phones are compatible with wt library

wt library cd for htc one phone