What do you miss from Windows Mobile?

jcortes

Reaction score
Lets face it guys quit saying that the droid can do everything WM can cuz it cant. I Love my droid don't get me wrong but i do miss the predictive dialing and tethering over wifi with WMWifiRouter, the flawless ability to sync with outlook ... and uhhhh thats about it hahaha. I will always choose WM for business use though.

OP
N

nuguy

Reaction score
hold on - no I didn't "defeat" anything customising to your needs is something all devices should do...

I am not trying to bash android here and don't need fanboyisms from any side. Just laying out facts. And the fact is the things I listed in the op are better (for me & my needs) on win mobile. That said I am still learning and waiting and tweaking to my likes and dislikes as quickly as my life allows. My motto is tweak it till you break it then back off and try again.

I expect to be around here a lot as ppcgeeks doid forum is lacking significant contributors (still love their community though, and will be there plenty too) so let's not label me as a wm fanboy just yet. But I know wm inside and out, so yeah you will find me refering to it from time to time. But...

I am a droid now...

P.s. thanks for the copy shortcut, it works, glitchy as hell, but at least it's something...

Legalgear

Reaction score
I really miss my WinMo phone, I wish the HTC Touch Diamond 2 was out when I got the droid. Don't get me wrong I love the droid as a phone but everything works NOW for WinMo, like skyfire browser, sling client and office (which is excellent by the way). I do like the droid, don't get me wrong, but I would have gone one more generation just to have the aps I really like.

Sling and Skyfire(flash) are a must for me because I take long trips and it really helps break up the drive time.

Also, simple things like my baby monitoring software only works on WinMo and there are lots of aps like that...

OP
N

nuguy

Reaction score
I must admit, I wish android was a month or two further in dev, but then we wouldn't be bleeding edge now would we?!?

coondogg97

Reaction score
1) PREDICTIVE DIALING: for real? I have to browse through over 300 contacts manually??? Seriously? And I have to know the first name of the person in order to do that?

-This is the epic fail currently to me - not enough to trade for wm but this one thing makes me think about it more than any other single item...

You realize you can just hit the magnifying glass and start typing in a name (first or last) and it will bring up their phone number.

The ONLY thing I miss about WinMo is WMWiFiRouter. Im sure we will see a wireless solution to tethering soon enough.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) PREDICTIVE DIALING: for real? I have to browse through over 300 contacts manually??? Seriously? And I have to know the first name of the person in order to do that?

-This is the epic fail currently to me - not enough to trade for wm but this one thing makes me think about it more than any other single item...

You realize you can just hit the magnifying glass and start typing in a name (first or last) and it will bring up their phone number.

The ONLY thing I miss about WinMo is WMWiFiRouter. Im sure we will see a wireless solution to tethering soon enough.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/15244-how-i-got-wi-fi-tether-600mhz.html

techguru

Reaction score

I miss that I paid for WMWiFiRouter and now can't use it, but by and large, I only need a single connection and i have PDANet, so I am good.

I did forget to mention that I really miss Garmin Mobile XT. Google Nav is decent, but Garmin Mobile XT still has features I miss and MUCH MUCH more accurate map and routing data (for now, again, fixable by Google, and I know they are working on it, but if Garmin had an Android version of MobileXT I would buy it today).

Alan

neemo6

Reaction score
A battery that actually last w/ bt, wifi, and gps all turned on. No actually my wifi tether, but seen its available w/ droid via a root so will be doin that here shortly.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
A battery that actually last w/ bt, wifi, and gps all turned on. No actually my wifi tether, but seen its available w/ droid via a root so will be doin that here shortly.

Uh... if you find ANY phone that can do that please let me know. I had several WM phones and NONE of them could run all those services and 'last'. Bottom like is most smartphone batteries are only 1400-1600 mAh and that can only power so much. But then most people just come to accept that a smartphone is going to be plugged in most of the time you are not actually using it. To that end I've found the Droid to be far superior than either of my last two WM phones (HTC Tilt and Tilt2) but those were on AT&T so the poor network often drained the battery just to keep the phone on standby.

OP
N

nuguy

Reaction score
Sending all sounds to my moto h15 headset, I'm sure this will come. Nut really, I can't listen to my music without buying a a2dp headset? Really??

JasonChan

Reaction score
I miss the SMS management of WM, which I can move message to different folder, recycle bin for deleted message and the drafts folder.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I miss the SMS management of WM, which I can move message to different folder, recycle bin for deleted message and the drafts folder.

A lot of people don't like Androids handling/management of SMS. Have you tried Handcent or any similar apps. There's probably one that mimics the WM management (I do all mine through GV so it's not a concern for me).

JasonChan

Reaction score

A lot of people don't like Androids handling/management of SMS. Have you tried Handcent or any similar apps. There's probably one that mimics the WM management (I do all mine through GV so it's not a concern for me).

Yes, im using Handcent, which is a great app and i like it, but it cant do what i mentioned

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes, im using Handcent, which is a great app and i like it, but it cant do what i mentioned

ah, oh well. you could always add it to the wish-list if handcent has one on their site (most of the developers do, and most of them are pretty responsive).

I do have another one, but it's less of a WM issue than a hardware issue. I REALLY miss the way my Tilts, well 'tilted' to change the viewing angle. It sounds like a small thing, and is at first but once you get used to it it's really missed.