What do you miss from Windows Mobile?

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I miss all that you've listed and PPTP VPN support (with encryption) and compliance support. While I like the touch screen, I do miss all the dedicated hardware buttons on my old WinMo device, but I would miss than on the newer winMo phones as well.

I also miss the stability of winmo - it was very predictable, and the droid seems to respond better at times and worse other times. I've actually restarted the droid more in the 2 months I've owned it than the entire 2 years of windows mobile 6.1. I know the droid does more, but what winmo does it does well.

I actually like the Droid hardware - I am sure winMo would not be so laggy on a newer chipset like in the droid.

rod

Reaction score
i came from a winmo phone, and i much prefer the droid. i also have 300+ contacts for business reasons. fortunately, i tend to know everyones full name, so its not that big of a deal to me. to the op, you do know you can hit the search button when in the contacts list and search by last name, right?

Silver Member
Reaction score
I miss all that you've listed and PPTP VPN support (with encryption) and compliance support. While I like the touch screen, I do miss all the dedicated hardware buttons on my old WinMo device, but I would miss than on the newer winMo phones as well.

I also miss the stability of winmo - it was very predictable, and the droid seems to respond better at times and worse other times. I've actually restarted the droid more in the 2 months I've owned it than the entire 2 years of windows mobile 6.1. I know the droid does more, but what winmo does it does well.

I actually like the Droid hardware - I am sure winMo would not be so laggy on a newer chipset like in the droid.
ok, you'd be the first person to say that winmo was more stable than anything else. and as far as dedicated buttons go, my htc touch had less buttons that did less than what the DROID does.

i've changed the ROM on my WinMo device more times than I've EVER rebooted my DROID.

the HD2 has the "newest" hardware. snapdragon processor, dedicated hardware. it's still WinMo and it still requires a third party app (HTC Sense UI) just to make it passable.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

ok, you'd be the first person to say that winmo was more stable than anything else. and as far as dedicated buttons go, my htc touch had less buttons that did less than what the DROID does.

i've changed the ROM on my WinMo device more times than I've EVER rebooted my DROID.

the HD2 has the "newest" hardware. snapdragon processor, dedicated hardware. it's still WinMo and it still requires a third party app (HTC Sense UI) just to make it passable.

LOL, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was running WM for the last 3 years and I was a member of a ROM team that developed some VERY stable and fast ROMs and even then it was, at BEST no more stable than Android (at least on the Droid, with minimal apps). 6.5 was a joke/flop. But I will say Google needs to get a hold of the marketplace to keep things stable (there are just to many apps that don't work correctly and several that affect the system). It's easy enough to see how Android could be unstable if people are careless with the apps they install or they aren't careful.

Also to the OP, take into account the time and money differences between the two. WM is OLD... it's been out for ever and they still can't get it right (depending on when you want to start the clock they have at LEAST a 7 year head start). There have been no less the 5 MAJOR evolution and countless minor updates to make it work and it still sucks (IMHO)... Android is VERY young and progressing at a very quick rate (which is, admittedly half the problem with enforcing so little control in the market place).

John.Edwards

Reaction score
640K - I guess it depends if you are a tinkerer or not. I never switched ROMS on Winmo because it did what I needed it to do. It was a very vanilla configuration, on a XV6800 and it just did what it did.

About the DROID Stability - I am really taking about the features (email specifically) - the DROID OS has only hung up on my DROID (my second) once so far, and 3x on the original.

I am not returning my DROID, I just hope google decides to support the devices a bit better. Losing my email config's multiple times per week on this level of device in 2010 (on 2nd major level OS) is pathetic - I never once had to reconfigure winmo due to a bug. Maybe Google needs to test their code a bit more.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
And a just as a note, the email account issue did occur once about 2 hours after a factory reset, with 0 market apps installed.

And I forgot to mention the bluetooth - I was able to pass data, dial with voice and some other functions on my windows mobile device, and not with the droid.

Silver Member
Reaction score
640K - I guess it depends if you are a tinkerer or not. I never switched ROMS on Winmo because it did what I needed it to do. It was a very vanilla configuration, on a XV6800 and it just did what it did.

About the DROID Stability - I am really taking about the features (email specifically) - the DROID OS has only hung up on my DROID (my second) once so far, and 3x on the original.

I am not returning my DROID, I just hope google decides to support the devices a bit better. Losing my email config's multiple times per week on this level of device in 2010 (on 2nd major level OS) is pathetic - I never once had to reconfigure winmo due to a bug. Maybe Google needs to test their code a bit more.
The default email client is junk and with good reason. It's a Google phone designed to live in the cloud. GMAIL functionality is far better than the default email client because they've (obviously) put more time into that component.

OP
N

nuguy

Reaction score
@640k

If you were loading senseui to make yourwinmo passable, then we have a very different idea of passable!

1st thing I do on a winmo is disable all the "showy crap" install quickmenu and set up cascading menues from the start menu. I install way too much chit to use the stupid stock start menu there as well!

I admit I am a organising fool on my phone, and my computer. That's good becouse I'm not in the rest of my life!

As for cut, copy, paste - I am posting this from my droid, while typing from the phys kb, I top elsewhere in the page and try as I might I can't select some text from your post to copy and paste it into this reply. This is something I would like to do often, and while I expect it can be done, so far I just can'...

Silver Member
Reaction score
@640k

If you were loading senseui to make yourwinmo passable, then we have a very different idea of passable!

1st thing I do on a winmo is disable all the "showy crap" install quickmenu and set up cascading menues from the start menu. I install way too much chit to use the stupid stock start menu there as well!

I admit I am a organising fool on my phone, and my computer. That's good becouse I'm not in the rest of my life!

As for cut, copy, paste - I am posting this from my droid, while typing from the phys kb, I top elsewhere in the page and try as I might I can't select some text from your post to copy and paste it into this reply. This is something I would like to do often, and while I expect it can be done, so far I just can'...
you've still defeated WinMo by customizing it to suit your needs. Whether it be Manilla 2d/3d, Mobile Shell, Sense UI or anything else, WinMo in and of itself is pretty craptastic.

btw, to copy-paste with the keyboard, hold down shift, drag finger over text, text is instantly copied. go to field/text box, long-press and select paste, or hit menu-v.

Guchi

Reaction score
what about SkyFire Browser w/flash ???? it was pretty decent

techguru

Reaction score
I miss a couple of apps: ListPro, GCz, Handyshopper (although Our Groceries is a reasonable replacement).

I actually do miss having a stylus. Don't need it much on the Droid, but occasionally there is something I want to select that is too small for my fingertip. (guess I could buy a capacitive stylus if I really cared).

I miss sorting my contacts by last name (or really by the FileAs attribute in Exchange).

I do miss Skyfire since it supported Flash, but that should be solved soon for the Droid. Otherwise, I really didn't like Skyfire, or any of the WinMo browsers as much as the Droid browser.

I liked having several buttons that could be remapped via software.

Not much else.

I thought they were going to have to pull my WinMo phone out of my cold dead fingers, but within a day of trying the Droid I was saying that WinMo 7 will need to be extraordinary to get me to go back.

Some of my WinMo apps were a little more refined than the Droid versions, but others were far worse, so that isn't really an indication. I am sure the development community will continue to make the Droid apps better to the point that I have nothing to miss.

Alan

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
what about SkyFire Browser w/flash ???? it was pretty decent

Yeah, completely forgot about that. It was great. But with the exception of the flash support the default browser of the Droid is good. Considering the network performance difference it loads at about the same rate (or faster) than even skyfire managed to on AT&T's handicapped network. Hopefully Skyfire will support Android in the future.